Thread: list cases of the letters heh vav aleh, read heh yud aleh?

Default list cases of the letters heh vav aleh, read heh yud aleh?

i'd like to list the cases of the letters heh vav aleh, read heh yud aleh?

e.g. Gen 3:12 we have heh vav aleh, written in the text with a chirik

I understand that it's a qere perpetual.

unfortunately the groves wheeler morphology lists it as heh yud aleph, so the groves wheeler lists it by its qeri consonants.

if the groves wheeler has listed it as heh vav aleph, as it's written, then I could look for occurrences of that that are 3fs and i'd see. But it doesn't so I can't. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Default GSE search to the rescue

I am a data analyst, not a student of Hebrew, so I am likely to have missed something important here.

If the solution is to find where WTT (the text) has "heh vav aleh" and WTM (the morphological coding) has "heh yud aleh", you can do this with the "Graphical Search Engine".
    One way to do it is:
    make WTT your search version.
    enter period heh vav aleh on the command line (as if you were going to do a simple search) (do not press enter).
    Main menu: Search/Graphical Search Engine
    When the GSE window opens, double click on the WTT word box (the bottom box)
    On the Word Box Options window there is a box with the title "Match the following spec in WTM". In this box enter heh yud aleh@*, and click on OK.
    From the QSE (Query) window run the query ("go" button at the top of the window).

I got 128 hits, all of them in the Torah, with vowel and accent searching turned off.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 12-16-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks.. I seem to not get the results..

So I typed . heh vav aleph . I confess I hit ENTER, making that text disappear from the command line, but then I typed it again, so it's on the command line.

Name:  Dn5z2EJ.png
Views: 360
Size:  50.4 KB

I don't think I have any vowel/accenting search turned on as hopefully that screenshot above shows.. no check marks / tick near those options in the menu.

then I open the query editor and I double click the WTT box with heh vav aleph and I enter the stuff.

Name:  1NTtFh6.png
Views: 251
Size:  57.8 KB

You did say to enter heh yud aleh@ but I can't enter an AT/@ character into the "match the following spec in WTM" box. I am able to type "2@" in that box, but if it's empty and I try to type any letter then I get hebrew.. and if I try to type an AT then I get the hebrew letter peh or final peh 05E4 or 05E3

I then click Run

Then I get

Name:  Rabp7J0.png
Views: 299
Size:  83.0 KB

So the top box in the graphical view shows 926 verses total 0. And I get no verses listed in the main window, as the screenshot shows.

UPDATE

I've found how to enter the ampersand.. it's to the right of the letter heh or heh yud aleph

Name:  q6iRftT.png
Views: 257
Size:  85.0 KB

I click run, But I still get no results

Name:  tZXuS0Y.png
Views: 295
Size:  37.0 KB
    Last edited by ralphza; 12-19-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Default The one thing more you need is an asterisk

After the at (@) you need an asterisk (*). Perhaps I was not clear when I said "In this box enter heh yud aleh@*". For some reason, the GSE requires a complete morphological specification in this box, it doesn't automatically supply the @* the way BW does on the command line.

--Jim

thanks that worked

Quote Originally Posted by ralphza View Post
    I confess I hit ENTER, making that text disappear from the command line, but then I typed it again, so it's on the command line.
    Just a little tip . . . if you hit the up arrow key, it will reenter your last entry on the command line; repeated hits of the up arrow key will scroll through previous command line entries.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.