Thread: No navigation (Book, Chapter, Verse) in Parallel Versions pane

Default No navigation (Book, Chapter, Verse) in Parallel Versions pane

Hi, all.

I was happily using the Parallel Versions pane to compare two Greek texts. I must have used some keyboard shortcut or something, and now my navigation row is gone. (1) How can I get it back? If you compare the screenshot from section 61 of the Help file with the screenshot of what I'm seeing, you'll see what I am now missing.

I also remember that when everything was working right, I could use the command bar and type in a reference there and the Parallel Versions pane would go to the reference. That seems not to work anymore also. (2) Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
    Name:  BW_Compare_No_Verse_Navigation2.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  277.1 KBName:  BW10_Help_Para61_with_Navigation.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  268.7 KB

See that gray bar that you circled in red? Right click on the gray bar and choose to show browse bar.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Choosing "Show Browse List Boxes" doesn't help

Hmmm. I guess you meant "Show Browse List Boxes", right?

I did that, but nothing changed.

I'm on Windows 10 Home 64bit, version 1607. But I'm running it in a VirtualBox virtual machine on a Mac.

Here's a screenshot of what I've got. I could do a screencast and send it to someone to show them what's happening. I'm almost sure I hit some key combination that made that row disappear. BTW, this happened before I installed the BW 10.0.5.522 version and installing that executable did not get rid of the problem.

Name:  BW10.0.5.522_Show_Browse_List_Boxes_is_checked.png
Views: 380
Size:  194.3 KB

ETC, it seems to me that your profile may be corrupted. If I remove the Browse List Boxes, when I close the Parallel Versions window and reopen it, it has them back in place.
    Do you have a recent checkpoint that you could recover to?
    If you can, I would recommend that you restore the most recent Initialization and Context files that are before the problem showed up. (Don't restore the Executable since that doesn't seem to be the problem.)

--Jim

Default Where are the initialization and context files?

Thanks, Jim.

You probably are right. Where (in what directory) can I find the files I need to revert? If I know where the files are stored, I might be able to find the files in a backup.

I noted Section 74 in the Help Files is about Backup and Restore. However, it says it's not implemented yet. Is that so? I've never seen it before. I've got backups, however, of my VM, so I might be able to dig something out of there.

Thank you to you and MGVH!

Eric
    Last edited by ETC; 12-13-2016 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ETC View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

You probably are right. Where (in what directory) can I find the files I need to revert? If I know where the files are stored, I might be able to find the files in a backup.

I noted Section 74 in the Help Files is about Backup and Restore. However, it says it's not implemented yet. Is that so? I've never seen it before. I've got backups, however, of my VM, so I might be able to dig something out of there.

Thank you to you and MGVH!

Eric
    Section 74 is about backup and restore of user files -- notes and the like.
    In Section 68 "Solving Problems and Getting Help" the last subsection "Using Checkpoints" describes what you want.
    I don't know whether using a mac complicates this.
    I think the default setting is to create checkpoints each time you exit BW. If this option was turned off, then of course you can't restore to a non-existent checkpoint.
    I would suggest not restoring the Executable, just the Initialization and Context files. (The Executable is the BW program; the Initialization file is the main user profile stuff; the Context file is the search tabs)

If you cannot restore these files you can close BW, backup and delete this file: bw1000.ini, in the main BibleWorks 10 directory, and restart BW. This is the last resort, because everything in the profile and context files will be reset to their defaults.

--Jim

Default Working now. Thanks.

Jim,

I'm up and running now. What I did finally was just delete the .ini file and let BW10 make a new one. I didn't have very many settings saved anyway, so I didn't lose much. Now I can navigate the Parallel Versions panel.

I really appreciate your help.

Eric

Default No navigation

Jim,

I'm up and running now. What I did finally was just delete the .ini file and let BW10 make a new one. I didn't have very many settings saved anyway, so I didn't lose much. Now I can navigate the Parallel Versions panel.

I really appreciate your help.

Eric
    Sorry you had to take such a drastic step.

There appears to be a bug that prevents the navigation block from displaying in the parallel versions pane if it is turned off in the main window. We will try to get a fix out for this early next week.

Sorry for the hassle.

Mike

Default Good to know, Mike. Thanks.

Good to know, Mike. Thanks.

Default No Navigation

Good to know, Mike. Thanks.
    Should be fixed now!
    Mike