Thread: How to find all neuter participles governed by a masculine subject (Greek)

Default How to find all neuter participles governed by a masculine subject (Greek)

I assume this is probably very subjective, and I don't know if BW even has what it takes to do this. I'd like to do a search in TBT (Scrivener's) to find all singular nominative neuter present active participles that have a masculine subject (noun, pronoun).

Is there a way to do this in any text? I assume there would need to be some kind of syntax module.

I've never done anything like this before, so I may not even have formulated my question well.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, I don't think there would ever be such a thing as "singular nominative neuter present active participles that have a masculine subject (noun, pronoun)." (They're both going to have to be masculine or both neuter.)

One way to confirm this is to do a morphological search for those participles you want.
    In the command line:

tbm
    .*@vppanns

You'll find that are 7 hits and all go w/ neuter nouns/subject.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Command line command doesn't work for me

Thank you, Mark.

I first put "tbm" in the command line (without the quotation marks) and pressed "Enter."

Then I put ".*@vppanns" (w/o the quotes) in the command line and pressed "Enter."

I got this error message:
    Name:  commandLineError.png
Views: 136
Size:  110.7 KB

What might I be doing wrong?

P.S. I agree that if this is occurring in the Greek text it seems to be a grammatical anomaly. That's why I'm looking for it. I think I found a case where it might be happening, and I wanted to see if it's the same anywhere else.

Dear ETC,
    If you look closely at the error message, there are two periods/dots at the beginning of the search. If you pasted in the search which Prof. Mark sent, BW might have created the second dot. Just try typing it in, and it should work.
    Mark Eddy

Default Copying to command line doesn't work; typing it in does

Mark Eddy,

You're right, of course. It doesn't seem to be a good thing to me that you can't paste into the command line, but I guess that's a limitation of the program.

What's weird is that even in those screenshots of mine it looks as if there is only one dot in the command line, but the error message shows two (I missed that).

When I typed in the command, I got 43 hits in 39 vv. (see screenshot). The other Mark (Professor Mark as you referred to him) said he got 7 hits. Hmmm.
    Name:  43hits_39vv.png
Views: 129
Size:  94.8 KB