Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare two versions

Default Compare two versions

I searched for "compare two versions" in BW10 help, but didn't find anything. I don't use BW a lot, and it seems I always forget how to do something before the next time I need it. I guess I just need to use it a little bit every day

Anyway, what I want to do is look at a passage, say John 6, and compare the Westcott Hort Text with the Trinitarian Bible Society's Scrivener's text and have the differences highlighted. I've done that before, but now I don't see how to do it. Can any one help? I tried to find something in the online video tutorials, but also failed to find anything there, so if you know of a link there, please also feel free to include it.

An aside is this: where can I find a description of the modules in BW? E.g., the the difference between TBT & TBM.

Thanks!
    Eric

In the current BW10 help it is in a perhaps non-obvious spot.
    Section 57 "Using Colors", subsection "Comparing Bible Versions".

In summary,
    the hamburger button (3 horizintal lines) at the top of the browse window allows you to "Toggle Difference Highlighting", which compares all displayed same-language versions,
    or main menu "Tools / Viewing the Text / Text Comparison Settings" allows more detailed control.

By the way, you might be interested in this thread on TBT vs SCR.
    https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...265-TBT-vs-SCR

--Jim

Default Thank you, Jim

I'm getting this figured out thanks to your advice.

I can get one verse above another with the differences highlighted.

Is there a way to get two versions in two columns so I can look that them with more than one verse and see the highlighting?

Default Parallel Versions Window

Quote Originally Posted by ETC View Post
    Is there a way to get two versions in two columns so I can look that them with more than one verse and see the highlighting?
    The Parallel Versions Window will do what you want. BW10 Help topic 61 "Displaying Versions in Parallel".
    Main menu "Tools / Viewing the Text / Parallel Versions Window"
    or, on the command line "p TBT WHT" (without quotes) to display TBT and WHT in parallel.
    In this new window the highlighting will be the same as in the Browse window.

An aside is this: where can I find a description of the modules in BW? E.g., the the difference between TBT & TBM.
    If you have the "Analysis" tab displayed in your "Analysis Window", just mouse over the version name in the "Browse Window".

--Jim

Default Got it! Thanks!

Thank you, Jim. I am now up and running. I appreciate your quick and accurate help.

Is there a way to save a workspace in BW10? I would like to save a workspace with these settings so I don't have to rethink this next time. However, a search for "workspace" in the help file yielded nothing.

Instead of "Workspace" what you want is "Favorites."
    In the BW Options Window ("gear" button in BW10, "wrench" button in earlier versions) about halfway down in the middle you will see "Parallel Versions Favorites." Click on "Add" and then choose your search and display versions and assign a name to this "Favorite" and click "OK". Then you can choose this Favorite the next time you open the parallel versions.
    By the way, Greek and Hebrew version abbreviations which differ in the last letter (such as TBT and TBM) the M version is usually a morphology version, which includes all parsing and other grammatical tagging. The T version is the plain text version.
    I hope this helps.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Then you can choose this Favorite the next time you open the parallel versions.
    Mark, you've been a great help. I also sent that question to BW support, but apparently they haven't yet had time to answer my perpetually newbie questions.

I succeeded in saving a parallel "favorite". However, what I don't get is how to open it up after I come back to BW10.

Name:  Parallel_favorites.png
Views: 190
Size:  52.8 KB

I tried three way to bring up the settings I saved as a "favorite":
    (1) If I go to Tools > Viewing the Text > Parallel Versions Window, I don't see that "favorite".
    (2) If I click on the hanging scales, I don't see my saved "favorite".
    (3) If I click on the gear and go back through what you described above, I can see that the "favorite" is saved. But the only options are "Add", "Edit", and "Delete". If there were "Display" or "Show" or something like that I'd understand.

I'm sure it's just some simple thing, but could you tell me how to display the "favorite" I saved?

Thank you very much!

Try this: Click on "Tools" then "Viewing the Text" then "Parallel Versions".
    From there you can choose the versions which you want to view in parallel. Earlier this year I lost all my Favorites, and did not have any saved for the parallel versions window, so I started over here.
    At the lower right hand of the "Parallel Versions" Window you can click on "Help" and Help section 61 comes up. It should give you all the information you need.
    Mark Eddy

Default I found the Favorite under "Window" drop down menu list

Mark,

I found the Favorite under "Window" drop down menu list. Now I know where to look. Thanks for your help!

Name:  Finding_Favorite(Saved_window).PNG
Views: 176
Size:  17.0 KB

Edit: I accidentally addressed this to Jim, when it should have been addressed to Mark. Sorry.
    Last edited by ETC; 11-16-2016 at 02:30 AM.

Default That list of windows was just a list of open windows

Well, I'm still confused, but I can at least get my saved favorite to show up, so that's good.

Once I closed BW and restarted it I discovered that my parallel window is no longer in the Windows list. So my discovery of that "Window" in the list must have been just an instance of a current window tiled within BW it's not a list of things I've saved (favorites) to which I can return after start up.

Help says this: "You can display a Parallel Versions favorite by entering "p" on the Command Line followed by the custom name of the preferred Parallel Versions favorite." So in the command line I entered "p scr & wht" (the name I'd assigned to that favorite), and, lo and behold, it the window popped up. Great! But that strikes me as unintuitive. I expected there to be some drop down list of favorites somewhere from which I could select this favorite. Or that somehow one could get to the Parallel favorites by clicking the Scales icon (Text Comparison Settings).

Is there no other way to resurrect a favorite? I must be missing something really obvious here.

What I'd really like is that when I launch BW, that this parallel window would automatically show up on top at the size I last used it. Is that possible?