Thread: How to search for preposition le + proper name

Default How to search for preposition le + proper name

I want to find all occurrences in WTM of the preposition le followed by a proper name, as in לְדָוִ֔ד (Ps 3:1; etc.).
    How do I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Philologos View Post
    I want to find all occurrences in WTM of the preposition le followed by a proper name, as in לְדָוִ֔ד (Ps 3:1; etc.).
    How do I do that?
    Make WTM your search version. (Escape / escape / WTM / enter)
    In the command line:
    ' (search for a string)
    l (for the hebrew lemma [prefix] you want)
    space (to delimit lemmas - the cursor will move to the left)
    * (to allow any lemma)
    @ (to say that morphological codes follow)
    n (to specify a noun)
    p (to specify a proper noun [name], as opposed to a common noun)
    * (to allow for the other codes that will follow)
    enter

The result is, of course, dependent on the decisions that the people who did the morphological coding made. For example, in Gen 2:20 Adam is coded as a common noun the first time, and a proper noun the second time it occurs in that verse. English translations vary; some agree with WTM, some use man twice, some use Adam twice. The German translations in BW (a much smaller sample) all use Mensch the first time, only 3 of 17 use Adam for the second use.

--Jim

Default Somehow that does not do it

Dear Jim,
    Thanks for your suggestion. Somehow I am stuck after the space in your sequence. Once I type "l" followed by space, I can only continue in Hebrew script. The command line won't accept *@np*. Any idea why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    In the command line:
    ' (search for a string)
    * (to allow any lemma)
    n (to specify a noun)
    enter

The result is, of course, dependent on the decisions that the people who did the morphological coding made. For example, in Gen 2:20 Adam is coded as a common noun the first time, and a proper noun the second time it occurs in that verse. English translations vary; some agree with WTM, some use man twice, some use Adam twice. The German translations in BW (a much smaller sample) all use Mensch the first time, only 3 of 17 use Adam for the second use.

--Jim

Default Thanks, but somehow this does not work

Thanks, Jim, I tried this. But when I type "'l [space]" the command bar wants to go on with Hebrew font and does not permit a * or an @. Any clue why?

So appreciate your patience with this relative novice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    In the command line:
    ' (search for a string)
    * (to allow any lemma)
    n (to specify a noun)
    enter

--Jim

Default I am stuck

Thanks, Jim, for the instructions. However, after the "l" and the subsequent space, the command box only allows Hebrew font letters as additions, but not * or @. Any idea why?

Thanks, Jim, for the instructions. However, after the "l" and the subsequent space, the command box only allows Hebrew font letters as additions, but not * or @. Any idea why?
    Here are some things you might try.
    1. Make sure that WTM is your search version. Sometime BW will switch it back to WTT, which doesn't allow the morph codes. I haven't figured out under what circumstances this happens; right now I cannot get it to do that. I do remember that when I was working on my first post for this thread it did that to me a few times. I ended up by using "d WTM" (without the quotation marks) on the command line to force display of WTM in the browse window, double clicked on the "WTM" label in the browse window (one of the ways to make a version the search version), and then was able to enter the *@np*.
    2. Sometimes BW will accept morph codes if you hit the "insert" key before the morph codes.
    3. If you have vowel sensitive searching turned on you need to use the "insert" key.
    4. Sometimes it is easier to get BW to accept morph codes in the GSE (Graphical Search Engine), since there is a separate box for the morph codes. If you copy the attached .qf file into your BibleWorks 10/ase directory, you can then use/display it. BW main menu Search / Graphical Search Engine, and in the GSE window menu File / Open.

Hope this helps.
    --Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think your problem might be as simple as the order in which you are typing your commands. Because the command line's default direction is left-to-right, Hebrew right-to-left commands can be a little tricky. For instance, if you are looking for all proper namess preceded by the preposition ל, if you first type in your command '*@np* (i.e., any proper noun, any state, etc.) and then type in your preposition ל, you will need to manually place the cursor, with your mouse, to the right of the ל. Once you do that, you should be able to find your usual @ *, etc. This shouldn't be a problem, though, if you begin with the preposition and then type in the noun.

This should give you the following command: '*@np* ל@Pp*

BTW, that will give you more than 2100 hits, so you may want to refine your search beyond that.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Last edited by Donald Cobb; 09-23-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Default Our old friend, when in doubt reboot.

This morning I tried to rerun the query, to see if there was any point to adding "@Pp*", and kept getting the message that the word did not exist in WTM. I exited BW, restarted it, and the search ran fine. So you might just close BW and start it up again.

--Jim