Thread: hebrew morphology search why 'common' twice?

Default hebrew morphology search why 'common' twice?

.*@nc

Name:  ysOVXgt.png
Views: 284
Size:  6.1 KB

then even with common already mentioned, it appears again

Name:  tKoTyW4.png
Views: 274
Size:  6.5 KB

and no words use that.. cc , common twice. .*@ncc* returns nothing. So why is it there?

I believe the first "common" refers to the type of noun, common ("king") vs. proper ("David"). The second "common" refers to gender, i.e., a noun that is neither masculine nor feminine. Unfortunately, I can't think of an example of a common-gender noun just now! Hopefully someone else will chime in with one.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't think of an example of a common-gender noun just now! Hopefully someone else will chime in with one.
    I was pretty sure that every Hebrew noun is masculine or feminine. Just to be sure I tried running a wildcard search on any common gender noun, and came up empty. So, as far as I can tell, the option is superfluous.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

In BDB at the beginning of entries for nouns they will list a verse which clearly shows the gender of that noun. I know that I have seen a number of occasions in which a verse is listed for where a noun is as masculine in one verse but feminine in another. For example, I just looked at BDB's entry for BeGeD (garment) "n.m. (except Lv 6:20 h'yl,['," (sorry, I can't seem to get bwhebb font to work here. WTM seems to assign only one gender to a word, even if there are exceptions. The BW coding allows for someone else (or WTM to change its ways) to note when a noun can be either masculine or feminine. So, although it seems that no one has yet made use of the "c" for common gender, it is available in case someone wants to try.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 09-28-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Default "common" gender of nouns

There are some nouns which occur with verbs inflected in both the masculine and feminine. For example, אָרֶץ and רוּחַ are most often used with feminine verbs, but not always. The "common" designator for gender is intended to alert the user of this possibility.

It's a good reminder that in language, sex and gender are not the same, e.g., German das Mädchen "girl" is neuter gender, but I wouldn't recommend calling her "neuter" to her face!
    Last edited by CapnKirk; 09-23-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

Thanks, Mark and Kirk. Good to know that BW's searches are prepared for text markings that don't yet exist, but may some day!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks. So, What is the difference between "both" and "common"?