Thread: DSS and Qumran Add-Ons

Default DSS and Qumran Add-Ons

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Bible software for the first time, and one of my criteria is DSS/Qumran support. I am a PhD student who will have to work closely with the original texts of the dead sea scrolls found at all of the caves both biblical and non-biblical. English translations and morphological tagging are also a must.

I saw some posts here and there on this forum regarding BW's add-ons, and I read this article (written 2013) http://brianwdavidson.com/2013/09/11...ailable-texts/ and it seems like BW only has (1) the original language of the non-biblical texts that are found only at Qumran, (2) the English translation of non-biblical texts found only at Qumran, and (3) English translation of all biblical texts. See the summary table at the end of the article for a helpful breakdown.

My questions are:
    1. Is Accordance the only software that provides support for all of the original texts, including English translations and morphological tagging?
    2. Is the article that I mentioned still correct today, especially with its description on BW's add-ons? Or have things been updated/added?
    3. If the article is correct with its description on BW's add-ons, will BW be adding the remaining DSS texts to its add-ons (i.e., original language of non-biblical from other caves, original language of biblical from all caves, and English translation of the Hebrew/Aramaic of the non-biblical texts)? If so, is there a timeline as to when BW will offer the remaining texts of DSS?
    4. If BW ends up providing support for the other remaining texts listed in #3, then will these be included free for those who currently have the DSS/Qumran add-on? Or will a separate fee be required?

Sorry for so many questions! Bible software is quite the investment, so I just want to make sure that I do my due diligence before making the purchase.

Since no one else has chimed in (yet), I'll start.
    1. I do not own Accordance, so I do not know. Accordance traditionally has been more for Mac.
    2. Yes, the article is still correct. BW10 has non-biblical DSS in Hebrew (including full morphology), but no English translation.
    BW 10 has English translation of the biblical DSS texts.
    3. BW usually does not give a time-line for future releases. But sometimes the programmers will state if they are working on obtaining a certain database. We'll have to wait and see if they notice this thread and want to chime in.
    4. The programmers also are the only ones to know about pricing. In the past some databases have come with the promise of upgrades (completions of partial releases) for free, as in the BHQ apparatus, which just gave us a few more books' worth. Sometimes upgrades to databases are part of the cost of upgrading to a new version of BW. But, if the producer of the DSS databases decides that it needs to sell its additions (or if a different publisher provides the additions), there will be an additional charge.
    Sorry I can't be much help.
    Mark Eddy

Hi Mark Eddy,

Thank you for your response. I think this might be sufficient for me so for now I'll work with what BW currently has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    2. Yes, the article is still correct. BW10 has non-biblical DSS in Hebrew (including full morphology), but no English translation.
    BW 10 has English translation of the biblical DSS texts.
    Mark Eddy
    To elaborate a bit on this point in Marks post:

Both the things mentioned have been available for several versions of BW, not just BW10. If I recall correctly, both were available for BW7 and following. And both were, and are, extra cost add-ons.

Concerning non-biblical DSS, BW does not have an English translation as a browse window version, but it does have an English translation as a .chm resource (THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS: A New Translation. Copyright 1996, 2005 by Michael O. Wise, Martin G. Abegg Jr., and Edward M. Cook.)

The biblical DSS, QBE version (from The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, MARTIN ABEGG, JR., PETER FLINT, AND EUGENE ULRICH, New York: HarperOne 1999), is a composite translation that would be difficult to map to the various scrolls. For example, Gen 1 is based on 7 different scrolls, and does not attempt to give a separate translation of each scroll. The .chm form provides much more information than the browse window version, although searching and comparison is more difficult.

The non-biblical DSS English translation (which includes a targum of Job) also does not map easily to the BibleWorks QST/QSM version. For example, QST book CD Damascus Document contains the Geniza texts A and B. The .chm form presents the Damascus Document as a composite of the two Geniza texts, plus 4Q266-272. And it reorders the texts to read in the order the editors consider most appropriate.

Hope this makes some sense, and might even be useful.

--Jim

Default DSS Scripture database free

I do not know how this complies with copyright law, but I have compiled a DSS Scripture database, from Hebrew texts available on line.
    You may download if from here: http://currah.info/pages/bibleworks/bw_dss_tanach.zip
    I make no claim about accuracy or completeness. Do not cite this compilation as authoritative.