Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BW1000.exe disappeared

Unhappy Me too

I have this issue as well on Windows 10. I'm going to try to update my Windows Defender tomorrow. Hopefully updated definitions will help keep this from recurring.

Two complete reinstalls later--and after excluding bw1000.exe and the entire Bibleworks folder in Windows Defender--I seem to have an up-to-date version of Bibleworks, though sadly without my settings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    I have the same problem. My trouble is that I downloaded Bibleworks 10 originally, and have it backed up on an external drive. When I select repair, the program can't find the DVD drive. Do I have to reinstall the whole thing or can I just copy over bw1000.exe?

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    I have the same problem. My trouble is that I downloaded Bibleworks 10 originally, and have it backed up on an external drive. When I select repair, the program can't find the DVD drive. Do I have to reinstall the whole thing or can I just copy over bw1000.exe?
    I could be wrong, but I think you can also restore the file by following these steps:

Open up Windows Defender
    Click the History tab
    Select the item Trojan:Win32/Varpes.M!cl
    And then select the Restore button

It looks like you already figured it out dmiller, but for those looking to whitelist or exclude Windows Defender from detecting BibleWorks files, following these steps:
    Open up Windows Defender
    Click the Settings button
    Select Add an exclusion
    Select Exclude a file
    Navigate to where the .exe file is located and select it. For me it was located in C:/Program Files (x86)/BibleWorks 10/BW1000.exe

You can also exclude the entire folder, but may be someone else can chime in if that's necessary or overkill.
    Last edited by DarkZorb; 05-27-2016 at 12:25 AM.

DarkZorb,

Thanks for those clear instructions. They worked!

I might add, though, that I'd tweak your instructions for restoring the file:

Open up Windows Defender
    Click the History tab
    Upon hitting the History tab, you have to select "Quarantine," or else the "Restore" button won't show up after clicking "View Details". So here's what I'd say:

Open up Windows Defender
    Click the History tab
    Click Quarantined Items
    Click View Details

Question This is helpful, but I'd like to know if there is any response from Microsoft

I was able to restore the executable using Defender last night, and so this morning I was able to open BibleWorks up without a problem.

However, I'd prefer not to add an exclusion if I can avoid it... I'd hate to forget that I have BW on my whitelist and then have some other malware infect the file later. If it was whitelisted, Defender would ignore any alterations to the BW file by other malware processes. I realize this is a minimal risk, but so is a malware infection. The reason I run anti-virus software is to protect me from potential infections (and I've had a few in my time, despite good habits and some IT background).

Would anyone on the BW team care to update us on the results of their contact with Microsoft? I'd prefer to just download updated definitions for Windows Defender that recognize that BW is safe rather than whitelisting the exe myself.

Also, all of this raises another question for me... does the BW update mechanism use HTTPS to connect to the server? It's conceivable that an unencrypted connection could be subject to a man-in-the-middle attack... in which case I actually want my antivirus to quarantine the BW executable that comes down the pipe!

Yes, those are two very good questions. Will Windows Defender be updated to avoid this false positive, and how secure is the BibleWorks update process?

Trend deleted mine. I put it on the exception list.

Default Seems to have reverted in other ways, not updating?

My reinstall solved several problems, but seems to have caused one, maybe two more.

First, my fuzzy-search-won't-stay-turned-off problem is back. That had been solved by a previous update. Leading to...

Second, I don't think BW is updating. My version is 10.0.3.173. What do you all have? I check for updates, nothing. I don't find a way to see what the current version is.

Dan,

My version is 10.0.5.64. You can see it on the splash screen that comes up when you boot the program. You can also see it if you choose Help: About Bibleworks from within the program. It seems to be updating fine for me. It updated once since the whole 'Windows Defender quarantined your program' issue.

Greg

I had the same thing happen with the executable. I was getting notifications (in Windows 10) that Defender was removing malware, which prompted me to run Malwarebytes. It turned up nothing. I thought all was well until I tried to start BibleWorks.

Restoring the files out of Defender quarantine (as above) and restarting the laptop got BW back up and running.