Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installation Backup...'insufficient memory.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Installation Backup...'insufficient memory.

    I have downloaded the BW10 installer and then the 20GB installation files.
    I ran the program and it runs fine (Win 10).

    My problem is trying to back up the 20GB of installation files onto a new 32GB flash drive.
    When I attempt this it gets as far as the CAB files and then it says there is insufficient available memory for the compressed CAB files.

    Are the cab files essential for an installation backup? Which files are essential? How much memory is needed for an installation back up?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    I have downloaded the BW10 installer and then the 20GB installation files.
    I ran the program and it runs fine (Win 10).

    My problem is trying to back up the 20GB of installation files onto a new 32GB flash drive.
    When I attempt this it gets as far as the CAB files and then it says there is insufficient available memory for the compressed CAB files.

    Are the cab files essential for an installation backup? Which files are essential? How much memory is needed for an installation back up?

    Yes they are essential!

    I am not 100% fluent in the language needed here, but let me explain quickly. When you format a flash drive there are multiple formats you can use, if you google FAT32 or NTFS you will learn more than I can say. Essentially, of those two formats, one does not allow you to save files bigger than X GB. The problem is that .cab file itself is bigger than X GB. What you need to do is format the drive in the other formatting mode so that it allows you to save those large files.

    Sorry I'm not more helpful. Someone will probably chime in that knows this stuff better. I at least wanted to point you in the direction of what to me seems to be the relevant information.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Yes they are essential!

    I am not 100% fluent in the language needed here, but let me explain quickly. When you format a flash drive there are multiple formats you can use, if you google FAT32 or NTFS you will learn more than I can say. Essentially, of those two formats, one does not allow you to save files bigger than X GB. The problem is that .cab file itself is bigger than X GB. What you need to do is format the drive in the other formatting mode so that it allows you to save those large files.

    Sorry I'm not more helpful. Someone will probably chime in that knows this stuff better. I at least wanted to point you in the direction of what to me seems to be the relevant information.
    Thank you Dr. Hanel, I suppose I'll do a little research in formatting the San Disk flash drive properly and give it a whirl.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Ok, it looks like a FAT32 format will not handle individual file over 4GB so I reformatted the flash drive to exFAT and it made the backup possible.

    Good info here...

    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...or-memory-card

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,081

    Default exFat

    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Thank you Dr. Hanel, I suppose I'll do a little research in formatting the San Disk flash drive properly and give it a whirl.
    To add to what Michael Hanel said: the distribution drives are formatted exFat. If you want to make a backup copy you need to format the new drive as exFat or NTFS. Either will work.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    To add to what Michael Hanel said: the distribution drives are formatted exFat. If you want to make a backup copy you need to format the new drive as exFat or NTFS. Either will work.

    Mike
    Yes thank you. Yesterday I did a little bit of research on the SanDisk site and had decided to go with exFat seeing it was more universal than NTFS. Apparently the Fat32 restricted transfers to only 4GB per file.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •