Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/3/2016 Final Build for Retina displays available!

Default 5/3/2016 Final Build for Retina displays available!

Hello, Friends! We have a new dmg for Retina users. This build supports Retina displays and properly scales text in the main windows, the program windows, and the popup CHM windows.

If you want to try it out, here's what you need to do:

1. Close BibleWorks.
    2. Download the dmg (MCW 10-26) at http://edist.bibleworksllc.com/macse...orks-10-26.dmg
    3. Run the dmg.
    4. In the dmg installer, drag the BW icon into the Application folder icon. Select Replace when prompted about overwriting the existing application. The Mac Installer will copy over.
    5. Run BibleWorks.
    6. Verify that BibleWorks | Auto-Enable High Resolution Mode is checked.
    7. Go to Help | Check for Updates.
    8. Select the newest EXE patch in the updater and apply it. BibleWorks will apply the patch and restart.

You can now open View| Scaling and set the zoom level as desired. A zoom level between 190% and 225% seems to work well on many Retina systems.

If the scaling seems off, here is a brief trouble-shooting procedure:

1. Restart BibleWorks.
    2. In the main menu, UNCHECK BibleWorks | Auto-Enable High Resolution Mode.
    3. IMPORTANT: Close BibleWorks and restart it again.
    4. IMPORTANT: In the main menu, check BibleWorks | Auto-Enable High Resolution Mode.
    5. Close BibleWorks and restart it again.The Retina mode should work at this point.
    6. In BibleWorks, go to View | Scaling.
    7. Select a scaling such as 225%.
    8. Click OK. BibleWorks will restart.

Have fun! Let us know how it works for you!
    Last edited by admin; 05-04-2016 at 03:19 PM.

One area that is still not scaling is the version display. It is way too big. Here is a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, jfidel, for reminding me about that. We should be able to easily fix that with an update to the EXE.

I appreciate your work on this project!

Just want to mention the retina build is working great on my MacBook. Thanks for the work to enable this.

Question

I just downloaded this build to a freshly hosed out and clean OS install Late 2015 15" MBP Retina. I got rid of the bootcamp Windows 10 after the false positive chewed through BW on the virus scan. I do not readily recollect if I can use this build to install from or if I need to install from the USB stick and then upgrade to this build. Can someone steer an old guy in the right direction on this, please?

Thank you,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    I just downloaded this build to a freshly hosed out and clean OS install Late 2015 15" MBP Retina. I got rid of the bootcamp Windows 10 after the false positive chewed through BW on the virus scan. I do not readily recollect if I can use this build to install from or if I need to install from the USB stick and then upgrade to this build. Can someone steer an old guy in the right direction on this, please?

Thank you,
    Michael
    I got it...

Default Icons Tiny

I've got the latest dmg (10-26), totally up-to-date BibleWorks 10, and a brand new early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina running 10.11.5 of El Cap. So everything as far as I can see is up-to-date.

I get tiny icons, even when set to regular size, as well as tiny checkmarks when updating and in other places (see attached). The installer screens were all really small. I can make Greek and English text fine, but other parts seem off.

Also, occasionally I only see the BibleWorks menu in the menu bar, and File, Edit, etc. disappear from time to time.

Any suggestions?

Name:  Screenshot 2016-06-26 21.58.45.png
Views: 258
Size:  370.4 KB
    Abram K-J
    Pastor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Writer, Blogger
    Blog: Words on the Word

Quote Originally Posted by AbramKJ View Post
    ...I get tiny icons, even when set to regular size, as well as tiny checkmarks when updating and in other places (see attached). The installer screens were all really small. I can make Greek and English text fine, but other parts seem off.

Also, occasionally I only see the BibleWorks menu in the menu bar, and File, Edit, etc. disappear from time to time.

Any suggestions?
    For the small icons, what buttonbar size did you select under View | Scaling?

The checkboxes and scrollbars are small. This is still a remaining area for us to tackle.

The menus are a little different than how it works on the PC. On the Mac, the menu that appears is the menu for the currently active BibleWorks window. So, if the main window has the focus, you will see the menu for the main window. If the Diagramming window has the focus, you will see the menu for the Diagramming window. There is a glitch that sometimes happens where the main window is truncated. In that case, restarting BibleWorks restores the main menu.

Hope that helps!
    Michael

Under "Scaling Options..." (which, by the way, I just now notice is present in both the View and Tools menus) I have 200% scale factor (225 makes little discernible difference) and Medium (24x24) toolbar size, though I'm definitely seeing a toolbar size far smaller than that.

Thanks for the reply and for working on these things!
    Abram K-J
    Pastor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Writer, Blogger
    Blog: Words on the Word