Thread: NA 28 Apparatus - Searchability

Default NA 28 Apparatus - Searchability

I'm excited to see the Textual Apparatus of the NA 28 available with the SOLN module in Bibleworks 10. It should prove incredibly helpful. Thank you! I am curious about searchability. While there appears to be some limited (though not terribly easy, as one must "search previous results list" repeatedly to accomplish some things) searchability for the CNNTS apparatus (using the "search" button under the VS1 Tab with the CNTTS selected), this button does not occur with the NA 28 Apparatus selected. Is there a way to search the apparatus for the NA 28? When I hit the "expand" button with the NA 28 Apparatus selected in the VS1 tab, a "search" tab appears in the pop-up window containing the text of the NA 28, but doesn't seem to actually search the apparatus. My goal would be to look for occurrences of particular siglum. For example, without actually looking through every page, I would love to be able to pull up every time the NA 28 editors used the "latt" siglum signally the support of the entire Latin tradition. Or for example, to see every place the Peshitta siglum (syp) is cited in the apparatus. Is there a way to accomplish something like this? If not, are there plans to develop this? While the NA 28 apparatus itself is of course far from exhaustive, such searchability would render the electronic form in BIbleworks incredibly useful for text-critical work.

Tim, I just tested the popup version of NA28 ("Expand" button, also accessible through the menus under Resources > Text Criticism). I searched for latt, and got a list of 230 occurrences in the NA28 apparatus. I typed syp and got a window that said "No topics found." Despite that, however, when I double-clicked the entries in the redisplayed list of topics, it did in fact take me to entries that cited Peshitta. 230 of them again. Hmm.

So it does seem to work, but the return of exactly 230 topics for both latt and syp seems suspicious. However, searching for A returns 258, and B 241 (not case sensitive, so including both Greek B and Latin b). When I searched for Byz, I got only 27(!) topics, limited to the Catholic Epistles (and the front and back matter); but according to Appendix IV, that is exactly as it should be. Searching for the Fraktur-type characters (representing the Majority Text and papyri, for instance) is very unreliable, though.

Clearly there are many kinks in it, and I wouldn't depend on it for completeness, but it should find a good many examples. NB the "topics" are complete chapters of NT books, so each "topic" may contain many individual occurrences. Perhaps one of the technical folks can jump in here.
    Last edited by DavidR; 03-15-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I can do some searches for the English abbreviations as long as there is no extra coding attached (sub/superscript; italic...)
    I could not figure out how to do a search for Greek. (Using Greek or Beta Code; w/ or without accents)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks, Glenn. That seems like my experience. I thought that searching for syp was not working, but although it said "No topics found," the list did indeed contain Peshitta hits. Or maybe it did that when I just typed in syp, rather than copying and pasting syp. But anything outside ordinary Roman script was clearly not working.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia