Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gospel of Thomas in SOLM?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    775

    Default Gospel of Thomas in SOLM?

    I realize this may be a question for tech support, but I thought I'd see if someone here could help before checking with them. I recently purchased the SOLM add-on (Stuttgart Original Languages Module), which includes the Gospel of Thomas. The next time I checked for online updates, I saw one for the Stuttgart Gospel of Thomas, with files for Coptic, Greek, English, and German, available for SOLM purchasers. I selected the update and it installed, but I can't seem to find these modules. I don't see them when selecting a search version under any of those languages, nor do they appear under any category in the Resources menu (where other SOLM modules, such as the BHQ and LXX apparatuses, do appear). Certain files beginning GOTGBS*.* were supposed to have been installed, but I can't find them either. Anyone have any ideas? (For clarity's sake, the Gospel of Thomas texts by Simon Gathercole [GTC, GTC, GTCE, GTGE], part of BW10, are present; it's the Stuttgart texts I can't find.)
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I realize this may be a question for tech support, but I thought I'd see if someone here could help before checking with them. I recently purchased the SOLM add-on (Stuttgart Original Languages Module), which includes the Gospel of Thomas. The next time I checked for online updates, I saw one for the Stuttgart Gospel of Thomas, with files for Coptic, Greek, English, and German, available for SOLM purchasers. I selected the update and it installed, but I can't seem to find these modules. I don't see them when selecting a search version under any of those languages, nor do they appear under any category in the Resources menu (where other SOLM modules, such as the BHQ and LXX apparatuses, do appear). Certain files beginning GOTGBS*.* were supposed to have been installed, but I can't find them either. Anyone have any ideas? (For clarity's sake, the Gospel of Thomas texts by Simon Gathercole [GTC, GTC, GTCE, GTGE], part of BW10, are present; it's the Stuttgart texts I can't find.)

    I can't explain why they aren't present for you, but they certainly should be. As you said, they have the following Version IDs

    gotgbsc (Coptic)
    gotgbse (English)
    gotgbsge (German)
    gotgbsgr1 (Greek text from Greek manuscripts)
    gotgbsgr2 (Greek text translated from Coptic)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Hi David,

    The first thing to check is to open "File | Activate Database" from the main BibleWorks menu. In this window check to see if the Stuttgart Original Languages module(s) are activated. If not, then you will need to activate these modules. You should have received the activation code in an email message when you ordered the modules.

    If you did not receive an email with the code, or the module is already activated, then the next step would be to contact Customer Service.

    Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Oops. .....
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 02-25-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Didn't read previous posts carefully enough.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Thank you, Michael and Glenn (and Jim -- I saw your original post in my e-mail!). The SOLN and SOLO databases show as activated in the Activation Manager, and there is no indication of anything not activated. I even tried running the update from 8/27/15 again, but nothing changed. EDIT: Well, something did change: I do now find the files beginning GOTGBS*.* in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\patches\_ptchtmp\databases\, but they do not seem to have been installed from there to the program.

    I will take this to Customer Service. But do any of you all know where these versions should appear? Should they show up as regular versions in the Browse Window under their respective languages; or would they be on the Resources menu?
    Last edited by DavidR; 02-25-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I will take this to Customer Service. But do any of you all know where these versions should appear? Should they show up as regular versions in the Browse Window under their respective languages; or would they be on the Resources menu?
    They should show up as regular versions.
    Here is the version info that shows up in the analysis window:

    Copyright and Source Information:

    GOTGBSE

    English translation of the Gospel of Thomas

    This text is part of the following work:

    Kurt Aland, Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum
    Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft
    15. Auflage 1996
    978-3-438-05130-1

    Copyright 1996. Used by permission.

    Gospel of Thomas texts from this printed work include:

    gotgbsc (Coptic)
    gotgbse (English)
    gotgbsge (German)
    gotgbsgr1 (Greek text from Greek manuscripts)
    gotgbsgr2 (Greek text translated from Coptic)

    Click here for a PDF containing the Coptic, Greek, German, and English translations that includes markings for unclear, illegible, and supplied characters.

    Version ID: GOTGBSE
    Description: GBS Gospel of Thomas English
    Language: English
    Number of Books: 1
    Number of Chapters: 114
    Number of Verses: 317
    Number of Blank Verses: 0
    Total Number of Words: 5334
    Number of Unique Words: 889
    Current Verse: 1
    Database Type: Bible Text Version
    Books: Tho


    Notice the mention of a pdf file. That link points to file "gotgbs.pdf" which I don't have.
    However, versions GT*, which come with BW10, have exactly the same paragraph with a link to "gtc.pdf" which is in the databases directory.

    Were you able to apply the BHQ update successfully? I think it was only supplied via update too.
    (update 10.0.3.953 10/27/2015). It is not in version form, only .chm, so it displays in vs1 or vs2 window, or by way of Resources/Text Criticism.

    --Jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    If you see the patch, click on it, and BW will install it. If that is the right patch, you should have everything. Usually BW automatically installs the patches which you download. I don't know why it wouldn't in your case.
    Mark Eddy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    If you see the patch, click on it, and BW will install it. If that is the right patch, you should have everything. Usually BW automatically installs the patches which you download. I don't know why it wouldn't in your case.
    Mark Eddy
    Mark, this is indeed the question. I've applied the patch 3 times now from the Updates dialog, with no success. Customer Support requested that I send in some information from my BW installation, so hopefully they will be able to sort it out.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    701

    Default Problems fixed!

    There were a couple of problems, and all of them have been fixed!

    First, the problem with the files not appearing should now be fixed in the most recent update.

    Second, the missing PDF file is now included in the most recent update. Even if you obtained the files previously and they are working, you will want this update in order to obtain the PDF file. (The PDF file can be opened by clicking the link in the Version Tab information for the GOTGBS versions.)

    This update only applies to those who have purchased and activated the Stuttgart Original Language Module (NT).

    Blessings,
    Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn Weaver; 03-01-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    Glenn Weaver

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Thanks, Glenn. Mark from Customer Support e-mailed me to check for updates and apply the latest version of this, and it worked perfectly. Very interesting to have a couple of different renditions available, between this and the Gathercole version supplied with BW 10.

    EDIT: Regarding the PDF file (which is derived from the 15th edition of Kurt Aland's, Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum--very nice to have!), it does show up (in my Adobe Acrobat reader) when I click on the link in the version notes for any of the Stuttgart GBS Gospel of Thomas versions. However, it does not appear in the Version Tab or elsewhere (e.g., somewhere on the Resources tab). At any rate, I can't figure out how to make it do so.
    Last edited by DavidR; 02-29-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •