Thread: Help on LXX Joshua

Default Help on LXX Joshua

Hello all and Best wishes for a blessed 2016!

I'm sorry to be asking this question here, but I'm away from my books for a while and I wanted some information. I'm working through the book of Joshua and have been wondering about "Joshua (A)". I'm assuming this is Alexandrinus, but I don't understand why this file is empty until Jos 15.21, especially since the critical apparatus shows variants for A beginning in the first chapters of the book.

Should I take this to mean that 1) that this is indeed Alexandrinus, and 2) that "Joshua (A)" only begins in chapter 15 because Alexandrinus basically follows the other Old Greek texts until that point? I'm sure if I had my Rahlfs-Hanhart printed version with me, that would give me the information I need, but if anyone can help, it would be appreciated!

Also, unlike Daniel LXX and Theodotion, I can't seem to display the two versions side by side. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Hi Donald, best wishes as well!

This isn't my area of study, but I'll give what I can gather from BW itself until someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

From Version Info on LXT version:
    LXX OT Apocryphal/Deutero-Canonical books, substantial text variations and multiple text types (assuming Codex Vaticanus as standard) from the Theodotian revision, Codex Alexandrinus, and Codex Sinaiticus are included.

Could the bold part above explain why so much is missing - because those variations aren't substantial?

To get both version side by side - display both LXT and BGT. The active one of these two will display your chosen text (either A or Vaticanus), and the non-active of these two will display both of them side by side (both A and the V). Not sure why it is like this.

Hope this helps!

Concerning displaying Jos with Jsa, have you checked the "General Greek Options" "Show all LXX variants in Browse Window"? If so, both Jos and Jsa will display together when Jsa has a verse. Not all verses in Joshua 15-18 have a separate A verse. Basically when the A text is only a few words different from the majority LXX, the variants are listed in the Rahlfs apparatus. But where the two texts have major differences, Rahlfs decided to print out both texts, though there are still a few B variants listed in the apparatus in those verses.
    Mark Eddy

Thank you Rokas and Mark, for your comments, which I found very helpful. I'd gotten so used to using the GLT (i.e., Rahlf-Hanhart + NA28) that I hadn't opened other versions for the LXX. I now see that, although GLT has the A text for Joshua (and Judges), it can only be viewed separately from the standard text. For that, one needs the LXT or the LXTRH.

I might add to what you both said, that in looking around I also rediscovered the LXTV, containing the major variants to the LXX (surprisingly, it shows up in a slightly smaller font than the others). And I see, Mark, that you seem to be the one who put that together. Thanks for your work!

Best wishes and blessing for the New Year!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France