Thread: Searching for the Hebrew root מעל

Default Searching for the Hebrew root מעל

Hi! I'm looking to run a search on the Hebrew noun מַעַל and the verb מָעַל. When I do a simple search on lemma the results are affected by the particle עַל. When I do a WTM search in the command line e.g. (מעל@v* מעל@n*) I still don't seem to get all the instances of מעל. Can anyone help? Many thanks. 

Default Hebrew Searches BW 10

I'm with you on this one, Mr. Neil. I don't have a solution, but I'm with ya. I'm at Hosea 2:14, looking at the English word 'therefore.' I'd like to search for ‎it's Hebrew counterpart

לָכֵ֗ן

elsewhere, but even though I've changed my Search Window version to WTT--which is also my Browse Window version--when I attempt to copy and paste ‎

לָכֵ֗ן

to the Search Bar of the Search Window, these characters

? ?????? (Hos. 2:16 WTT)

are what actually appear in the Search Bar. Obviously ya can't search on that. Anyone care to reveal what I'm doing wrong?

If your copy options are set to export Unicode, the Unicode form is pasted to the command line, but the command line does not read Unicode. You would do better to right click on the word you want (instead of copying it), and choose "Search on lemma" and BW will find all forms of that lemma (verb, noun, something else?) with the exact same consonants. Also, if you are looking for a lemma, and you decide to type characters into the command line, be sure that your search version is WTM, not WTT. Also, if you copy and paste to the command line in BibleWorks native font (not Unicode), it will paste the vowels points. You will have to delete those, because BW lemma searches do not use vowel points. So there are a number of reasons why you might not be getting the search results you are seeking.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Morrison View Post
    Hi! I'm looking to run a search on the Hebrew noun מַעַל and the verb מָעַל. When I do a simple search on lemma the results are affected by the particle עַל. When I do a WTM search in the command line e.g. (מעל@v* מעל@n*) I still don't seem to get all the instances of מעל. Can anyone help? Many thanks. 
    I just did a WTM "or" search /מעל@v* מעל@n* and got 65 hits in 45 verses of forms of "act treacherously" or "treacherous act." I did a WTM search the lemma .מעל and got 205 hits in 179 verses. The second search contains all the hits of the first search plus instances of "higher part," (which BDB says occurs 140 times). 65 + 140 = 205, exactly what I would expect. None of these had anything to do with the particle עַל. So I am not sure what you are doing with your search in parentheses. If your search version is WTT instead of WTM you would find instances of the particle עַל with your search.
    I hope this helps a bit.
    Mark Eddy