Thread: Introductory material for English versions?

Default Introductory material for English versions?

A student today asked about places in the NAU (=NASB) where all caps are used. I stated that it was the NAU's way of indicating quotations of OT texts in the NT.
    The student asked how they would be able to find that out on their own.
    I'm sure it would be described in the introductory comments or preface to the NASB... but I cant seem to find such a thing for any of the English Bible versions.

Am I looking for them in the wrong place in BW? Are they included in BW? The introductions can be important for describing conventions used in the translation and also the translation philosophy.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

To my knowledge there are only two ways BW can display the introductory material of Bible translations. One is by including it in the .bww file for the version. If such information is included, when you place the cursor over the version abbreviation in the browse window, the introductory information will display in the analysis window. Most versions display only the barest copyright information there.
    The other way is if there is an html version which would display in a floating window. If you click on "Resources" and choose "Miscellaneous" I see three Bible versions which have their entire printed Bible in BW. The only English version of these is the New English Translation of the Septuagint (the other two are in Turkish and Swedish). Also under "Resources" you can click on "Backgrounds" and choose the "Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" and find its introductory materials. That is it for now.
    So, until someone decides to add all the introductory materials to the .bww file for NAU, you have to get a paper copy to find this information.
    Happy Hanukah!
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    The other way is if there is an html version which would display in a floating window. If you click on "Resources" and choose "Miscellaneous" I see three Bible versions which have their entire printed Bible in BW. The only English version of these is the New English Translation of the Septuagint (the other two are in Turkish and Swedish).
    I'd like to offer an addendum to Mark's comment. The Cosmades Turkish New Testament has the full text, with additional materials. While the Swedish Bibel 2000 does not have the text, it does have 6 articles of varying length (one deals with the calendar). New English Translation of the Septuagint does not have the text, but has all of the other good stuff that is in the printed edition of NETS, included very detailed introductions to each book. It would be nice if this were available by a link from the NETS.bww file (see below).

When I saw this thread I thought that I remembered having seen links to .chm files in a few .bww files, so I took a look in my Bible Works 10\databases directory and found the following have links to .chm files, with differing amounts of material available. Two of them are vulgates that Pasquale made available -- I don't know if they ship with BW10.

CEB Click here for Preface, Weights and Measures, Abbreviations, and Hebrew Calendar. (The Preface deals with some translation issues, but fails to explicitly say that they use LORD for YHWH (The following statement, that implies the use of LORD, is the only indication that they use that convention: The CEB renders Yahweh Sebaoth and Kyrios Sabaoth as "LORD of heavenly forces,").)
    VUS Front Matter is available here. (image of title page)
    VC1 Front Matter is available here. (image of title pages plus other info)
    NOV Front Matter and Appendix are available here. (in Latin)
    NAB Preface and Book Introductions (substantial material)
    CSBO The Introduction to the HSB is available here. (discusses conventions at length)
    CSB The Introduction to the HSB is available here. (discusses conventions at length)

NET is a different case. NET has no link in its .bww file, but if you select it in Vs1 or Vs2 you can then "Expand" it to a floating window where you have access to its extensive front and back matter.

I also found this orphan: lehfrontmatter.chm. It contains stuff that is also available in the lexicon viewer display of LEH.

--Jim

After submitting this I reread the earlier posts, and realized that I missed QBE (I forgot that it was a version, as well as a .chm) so here is the link in its .bww file:
    QBE The HTML Help version (available here) contains the full contents of the book, including the text, introductions, notes, and front and back matter.
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 12-09-2015 at 12:08 AM.

To be clear, with the good list that Jim provided, you can find the links to the material in the Analysis tab of the Analysis window when you put the mouse over the version label that begins any verse.

Two others:
    The NET Bible also has the full preface available. Use: Resources > Commentaries > NET Bible
    The NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint) has all the introductory material and book introductions available via: Resources > Miscellaneous > New English Translation of the Septuagint

Also, if you downloaded the HCSB which was recently made available for free, you get the whole book w/ front material via: Resources > Miscellaneous > Study Bibles

These prefaces / introductions to versions are helpful. They usually explain translation philosophy and indicate their treatment of things like the tetragrammaton and inclusive language.
    Last edited by MGVH; 12-09-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Front Matter

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    A student today asked about places in the NAU (=NASB) where all caps are used. I stated that it was the NAU's way of indicating quotations of OT texts in the NT.
    The student asked how they would be able to find that out on their own.
    I'm sure it would be described in the introductory comments or preface to the NASB... but I cant seem to find such a thing for any of the English Bible versions.

Am I looking for them in the wrong place in BW? Are they included in BW? The introductions can be important for describing conventions used in the translation and also the translation philosophy.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Generally, if have the Analysis Tab active and mouse over the version ID in the Browse Window, information about the version will be displayed. If there is detailed info from the publisher, it will normally be provided as a hypertext link here. Unfortunately when we license text, the publishers seldom make the supplemental information available to us.

Mike