Thread: User-created Database Tools & Workflow

Default User-created Database Tools & Workflow

What would constitute a good workflow and what software tools would you recommend using in the creation of add-on databases for BibleWorks?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    What would constitute a good workflow and what software tools would you recommend using in the creation of add-on databases for BibleWorks?

Thank you!
    Hi Michael,

I don't know where to begin with your question.

First, what kind of databases do you wish to create? The BibleWorks Blog (see the first (sticky) thread in this forum) classifies the add-ons available there as: [version] Color files, Diagrams, GSE, HTML Modules, Synopses, Tutorials, Versions, Vocabulary. Strictly speaking, the Tutorials are not add-ons; they can't be integrated into BW.
    In addition to this list, add-on-able things I am aware of include Cross Reference files, Outline files, Program Color files, UserLexes, TimeLines. I expect that tomorrow I will think of some more.

Second, workflow will depend on what kind of database/file you want to create.
    The first step should always be to see if it is already available. Check the BW Blog mentioned above. Check MGVH's blog. Search with Google or equivalent -- I've picked up at least one BW version that way from other sites.
    If you can't find what you want ready-made, the next step is to study thoroughly the part of BW Help that deals with the kind of file(s) you wish to create. Then read that part of BW Help again 2 or 3 times. Check MGVH's blog, and the BibleWorks Blog to see if they have anything helpful. After that, workflow depends on which type of file you are creating. One common sense approach is create small chunks first and get them to work properly, so that you don't have to correct the same mistake too many times. Choose parts of your input that include as much variety as possible for these first chunks.

Third, tool choice depends on what type of file you are creating, what source you will use, your level of technical confidence, your personal preferences, whether you have students or assistants or friends or children/grandchildren with various skills who can be pressed into service. I have created a number of English versions for my own use (I haven't made them available because of copyright concerns). For some, where I had access to source HTML, I wrote conversion programs using Python, for others that were in PDF format, I edited the source manually using LibreOffice Writer.

Hope this is of some use to you.

--Jim

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your detailed response and the time that you took out to give me an answer. What I had in mind when I asked it was HTML Help files, as I had not even considered most of the other file types that you had mentioned. I know that BW has recommended FarHTML for quite some time for that task, but I was wondering if there might be alternative strategies or methods that might be easier or perhaps incur less of a budget hit. FarHTML, I'm sure, is probably good software, but I've seen chm compilers that will run under OS X and produce other types of help files for around the same cash outlay, as well as Free Pascal having a chm compiler module.

I'll grab some of the free options and see how much help or trouble they are and then move forward from there.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Michael

Default Gottingen Septuagint

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    .. For some, where I had access to source HTML, I wrote conversion programs using Python.....

--Jim
    Hi Jim it works also with greek unicode (Python 3?)?
    I woud like to convert some HTML from;
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/tex...blical/lxxvar/

(Gottingen septuagint)

Thanks in advance
    Pasquale
    Last edited by pasquale; 07-10-2016 at 05:32 AM.