Thread: Morphological colour coding

Default Morphological colour coding

Hi,

this is my first post. I am a new BW user, purchasing BW10 for the first time 4 months ago and am enjoying learning how to use it. I invested in BW to assist with digging into the languages for sermon prep and study, I am in seminary and am attempting to learn Hebrew, NT Greek comes next year...

I have a question on how best to set up the morphological colour coding.

In class our Hebrew lecturer colour coded certain parts of the words so as to easily distinguish throughout a portion of text, especially the waw consecutive. I found this really helpful at the stage I am at so am attempting to replicate something similar in BW. However I can't get it to work.

For example I would like to highlight the prefixes and suffixes in different colours, depending on if it's a perfect, imperfect, or a waw consecutive. Then as I learn more I can colour code these parts to help identify in the text but I can only seem to highlight whole words such as verbs and nouns, and not parts that make up the word. is this possible? Or are there colour schemes already out there which do something like what I am attempting?

Thanks for any assistance,

Paul - UK

Paul,

I'm not new to BW, but morphological color coding is new to all of us.

As far as I can tell, you can color an entire word, but not a part of a word like a suffix, prefix or other inflection. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to highlight a part of a word manually, one at a time. BW looks at the morphology string and compares it to what you're looking for. Hmmm, I'm going to have to experiment with this: what happens when one specifies, e.g., a suffix parsing in the search string?

I also would be interested in the answer to your question, if someone else has actually tried coloring just part of a Hebrew word...
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

I'm sorry, but the coloring only works on the entire word, not parts of the word.

Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

In a very limited way you can get different parts of a Hebrew word coloured differently.
    1. The part must be identified as a lemma.
    2. It shows up individually only in WTM. WTT will display only one colour for an entire word.

For the following example I used the "apply colors to Selected Text" feature, using WTM.
    Notice that WTT displays the word in one colour, WTM displays each lemma in a separate colour.

Name:  Coloring lemmas.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  171.3 KB

The "Morphology Colors" feature works the same way.
    For this example I used what I think is the default colouring for verbs and nouns, adding background colour to the nouns, since the default colour was the same as the colour used for the search version. Note that for WTT the whole words are coloured, while for WTM the particle prefixes are not.

Name:  Colouring Morph.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  176.5 KB

If what you want is for particular parts of words to be coloured differently in WTT, then that does not appear to be possible currently.

--Jim

Whoever came up with the idea to color code the morphological data is a genius.

Thanks for the replies, I noticed that the colour coding worked to a degree in WTT on parts of words when I was playing around with it, so was hoping this it could be carried over to WTM, but one instruction was overriding the other (so in WTT different parts of the word are shown in different colours, while in WTM one colour overrides the other).

It is still great to have the facility to colour code whole words, I have been setting up colour coding today for waw consecutive imperfects and perfects, very helpful for my untrained eye to see a block of text and pick these out straightaway!

Are there any Hebrew teachers here who could recommend a good colour code scheme which you feel would be most beneficial to the student learning Hebrew or that you yourself use? I am interested how others are using this function.

Thanks,
    Paul - UK

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    Whoever came up with the idea to color code the morphological data is a genius.
    Truth!!!!!!

Gilbert