Thread: Search within a chapter

Arrow Search within a chapter

Is there a way to search within a chapter?

For example, I want to search for Psalms "of David" which speak in first person.

The closest I can get is ".David I;10" which searches for "I" within 10 verses of "David". This misses results in longer psalms and gives me false positives in shorter psalms.

Hi,

The efficient way is to create a custom search limit for the chapters you wish to search. It's a bit tedious to create the list, but it does the trick.

Using your example, add the following line to the file "limlist.udb" in your init folder in Bibleworks:

Psalms of David/KJV/Psa 3-9; Psa 11-32; Psa 34-41; Psa 51-59; Psa 60-65; Psa 68-70; Psa 86; Psa 101; Psa 103; Psa 108-110; Psa 122; Psa 124; Psa 131; Psa 133; Psa 138-144

This will create a custom search limit for only the Psalms which have "of David" in their titles.

Once you've selected this as your search limit, then simply continue with your search for first person references; only those Psalms will be searched.
    Last edited by bobvenem; 10-07-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Hi,

The efficient way is to create a custom search limit for the chapters you wish to search. It's a bit tedious to create the list, but it does the trick.

Using your example, add the following line to the file "limlist.udb" in your init folder in Bibleworks:

Psalms of David/KJV/Psa 3-9; Psa 11-32; Psa 34-41; Psa 51-59; Psa 60-65; Psa 68-70; Psa 86; Psa 101; Psa 103; Psa 108-110; Psa 122; Psa 124; Psa 131; Psa 133; Psa 138-144

This will create a custom search limit for only the Psalms which have "of David" in their titles.

Once you've selected this as your search limit, then simply continue with your search for first person references; only those Psalms will be searched.
    Good work, Bob! Rather than editing the limlist.udb, may I suggest what is perhaps an easier way:
    • Choose your preferrred search version (make sure it is a version that includes Psalm titles)
    • in the command line type: L Psa 3-9; Psa 11-32; Psa 34-41; Psa 51-59; Psa 60-65; Psa 68-70; Psa 86; Psa 101; Psa 103; Psa 108-110; Psa 122; Psa 124; Psa 131; Psa 133; Psa 138-144 and hit Enter (this is the manual way of creating a limit)
    • Now click on the wrench/gear to open BW Options Window and click on Searching: Search Limits
    • It should automatically have the range you created in the Range line. In the Description line, delete what's there and type in your own descriptor (e.g. Psalms of David)
    • Hit Save

This does the same thing that Bob suggested, but you don't have to manually edit that udb file.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Good work, Bob! Rather than editing the limlist.udb, may I suggest what is perhaps an easier way...
    • in the command line type: L Psa 3-9; Psa 11-32; Psa 34-41; Psa 51-59; Psa 60-65; Psa 68-70; Psa 86; Psa 101; Psa 103; Psa 108-110; Psa 122; Psa 124; Psa 131; Psa 133; Psa 138-144 and hit Enter (this is the manual way of creating a limit)...

I got a better idea... Just highlight and copy what Mark just typed and paste it into your command line, then do the rest of the stuff he said. That's a whole lot easier than typing it all out again yourself!

Well, I was going to suggest something like what Mark did. Except that I wasn't aware that the Search Limits dialog would pick up the current Command Line setting. Nor that BW 10 (which I've been using for a few months now) has a direct toolbar button (the big ol' gear) to access the Options dialog.

But let me throw this in: in using that toolbar item, I discovered that if you click the drop-down arrow next to the gear icon, you get a list of the Options categories, from which you can go straight to Search Limits or whatever you want. So much easier than going through the Tools menu!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Good work, Bob! Rather than editing the limlist.udb, may I suggest what is perhaps an easier way:
    • Choose your preferrred search version (make sure it is a version that includes Psalm titles)
    • in the command line type: L Psa 3-9; Psa 11-32; Psa 34-41; Psa 51-59; Psa 60-65; Psa 68-70; Psa 86; Psa 101; Psa 103; Psa 108-110; Psa 122; Psa 124; Psa 131; Psa 133; Psa 138-144 and hit Enter (this is the manual way of creating a limit)
    • Now click on the wrench/gear to open BW Options Window and click on Searching: Search Limits
    • It should automatically have the range you created in the Range line. In the Description line, delete what's there and type in your own descriptor (e.g. Psalms of David)
    • Hit Save

This does the same thing that Bob suggested, but you don't have to manually edit that udb file.
    Nice! However, it does remove the dangerous thrill of messing with the init files

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Nice! However, it does remove the dangerous thrill of messing with the init files
    Yeah, you can't really put on your reflector shades and wrap a bandanna around you're head while you're checking boxes in the Options dialog.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia