Thread: Morphology Coloring Option - FEATURE REQUEST

Default Morphology Coloring Option - FEATURE REQUEST

I just finished teaching an intensive 3 week Greek course. Whew... As you can imagine, the goal was not to learn to read Greek but to be able to understand Greek grammar and syntax, evaluate and critique English translations, and learn how to use BibleWorks appropriately as a resource.

One thing that proved to be immensely helpful was a new feature in BW10, Morphology Colors. I have a whole color spectrum of handouts with yellow/red for verbish things and blue for nounish things. (Infinitives as verbal nouns are green!) As we learned a new aspect, we added a morphology coloring code. By the time we were done, we had a whole system in place to scan the Greek text and quickly pick out Nominative nouns/adjs/pronouns, Indicative verbs, subjunctives, imperatives, and infinitives. Works great!

BUT... once you turn on morphology coloring, it is enabled in all your tabs. I, however, would like to have at least one tab with the text not highlighted according to morphology.

I have found one workaround:I can apply the morph colors to the BNM/T text in one tab and use the GNT text in another tab.

I tried using the Browse tab in the Analysis Window, but the morph coloring there is enacted with the Browse Window.

So, may I suggest (and I'd encourage others to chime in if they think it worthwhile)...
    • Enable morph coloring to be tab and/or window specific.
    • I also note in the BW10 Help file where it describes morph coloring: "You can only have one collection active at a time though if people find the feature useful this may change." I do find this feature useful! And another possibility would simply have an empty collection.

If those options are difficult to enact, then it would be very helpful to at least have a quick way to turn morph coloring off/on. Right now from the Browse window it takes four clicks to open the dialogue and en/disable coloring. (You either have to go through the Settings icon dropdown or right-click in the Browse Window and Open Morphology Color Settings.)
    Interestingly, however, I now see in the Browse tab of the Analysis window, there is an extra menu dropdown (which is not in the Browse Window) that has the option of "Toggle Morphology Highlighting." That's only 2 clicks. Toggling that does affect the Browse Window. Perhaps that dropdown menu could be added to the Browse Window or the toggle highlighting could be added to the right-click menu in the Browse window.

Name:  bw10morph.png
Views: 346
Size:  28.8 KB
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement your suggestion about having different Morph Color Settings for different windows. Mike Bushell would have to comment on that. I'm all for flexibility, though!

Concering how to toggle on and off the color settings--there are two ways to do this from the Browse Window. One is to right-click on the Greek or Hebrew text, then select "Open Morphology Color Settings" from the context menu, then check the box to "Enable Morphology Color Tagging", then click OK.

The second method is to click on the Browse Window Options button at the top of the Browse Window (the hamburger button). There you will find the option to Toggle Morphology Highlighting."

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Concering how to toggle on and off the color settings--there are two ways to do this from the Browse Window. One is to right-click on the Greek or Hebrew text, then select "Open Morphology Color Settings" from the context menu, then check the box to "Enable Morphology Color Tagging", then click OK.
    Yes, that's the four-click procedure I noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    The second method is to click on the Browse Window Options button at the top of the Browse Window (the hamburger button). There you will find the option to Toggle Morphology Highlighting."
    Ah ha! I missed that one. Perhaps that 'hamburger' button could be relocated to sit next to the browse toggle button in the Browse window. That way it would have the same interface as the browse tab in the Analysis window.
    Thanks!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools