Thread: How can I type in hebrew vowels in BW7?

Default How can I type in hebrew vowels in BW7?

I can't figure out how to type in vowels

I can type Dot, then B R A so it says the hebrew root Bet Raish Aleph (bara),

Or any root,

But then I can't see how to insert a kamatz, a patach, or things other than vowels like a meteg or dagesh or how to insert a shwa

I tried tools..bibleworks keyboard

I can type the letters without any dot then they come up in english, b for bet, and I can type bra but it won't show up the root. So I see I have to type a dot first. But I can't see how to enter the vowels. I tried pushing the buttons for vowels on the BW keyboard

So I typed Bet then the kamatz key, then reish then the kamatz key, then aleph but it didn't find it.

Name:  XdLQlvY.png
Views: 307
Size:  6.1 KB

I read of using the insert key

So I tried pushing insert, and I saw a flashing red block that i'm meant to see And I tried typing 1 but I have no idea what i'm meant to do. I didn't see any placeholder box.

TIA

First, you will need to find where your vowel keys are. In the toolbar at the top of the screen, there is an icon that looks like a keyboard which is "BibleWorks Keyboard." Select it, then choose "Hebrew" from the drop down menu. You will see that the comma key is seghol, the period key is shewa, the semicolon key is patach, the apostrophe key is qames, the "U" key is qibbus, the "O" key is holem, shift+"A" for holem waw, shift+"U" for shureq, the "I" key for hireq, and I+shift for hireq yodh.

Next, to enter vowels in your searches (you will typically not need vowels in your searches; the consonants usually provide all you need), right click in the command line and select "Vowel Point Sensitive Searching (Hebrew)." You will then be able to search for words using vowel points with the letters.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

thanks, that makes sense, I hadn't done the right click in the command line and chosen vowel sensitive.

Now, I can't type ? Since when I choose vowel sensitive, the ? gives some markings rather than a question mark symbol.

So, if I want to look for 3 letters, two can be anything so .??(if I could type ?), and the last of the three a Taw with a kamatz and a dagesh, I can't type a ? for the first two letters.

You can type an asterisk prior to the ultimate consonant either with or without vowel pointing.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.