Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bw 8 & bw 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default Bw 8 & bw 10

    I'm getting ready to upgrade to BW 10 from BW 8.

    Can I keep BW 8 on my computer at the same time as BW 10? (Win 7 on this particular computer, and I want to keep specific files in BW 8 that are not available in BW 10, according to the specs).

    I'm also getting ready to buy a tablet for BW 10. Any suggestions on what I should go with, i.e., what tablet(s) does BW 10 work best on?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Actually, I will probably be aiming for a 2-in-1 tablet/keyboard, if any of you have any suggestions on those re BW.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Scott,

    I don't think this is an issue. If you upgrade rather than buying as a new user BW gives you unlock keys for the databases that are no longer in the base package. (When I went from 7 to 8, and from 8 to 9, there was a separate key for each database. From 9 to 10 there is just one key that covers all the stuff dropped between 9 and 10. I don't know which way they handle the transition from 8 to 10.)

    BW does not recommend having more than one version on the same computer; 8 and 10 can coexist on the same computer, but cannot run at the same time.

    --Jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Scott,

    I don't think this is an issue. If you upgrade rather than buying as a new user BW gives you unlock keys for the databases that are no longer in the base package. (When I went from 7 to 8, and from 8 to 9, there was a separate key for each database. From 9 to 10 there is just one key that covers all the stuff dropped between 9 and 10. I don't know which way they handle the transition from 8 to 10.)

    BW does not recommend having more than one version on the same computer; 8 and 10 can coexist on the same computer, but cannot run at the same time.

    --Jim
    Thanks, Jim. I posted the question here before I ordered, because the order page said I would have to provide unlock codes, and I thought that some modules would not be available in BW 10, but when I actually ordered I didn't have to provide any unlock codes, so your answer is probably correct, but I'll just leave BW 8 on the computer since disk space is not an issue, even though I'll probably never run it after I get going with BW 10.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default Long time no see!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I posted the question here before I ordered, because the order page said I would have to provide unlock codes, and I thought that some modules would not be available in BW 10, but when I actually ordered I didn't have to provide any unlock codes, so your answer is probably correct, but I'll just leave BW 8 on the computer since disk space is not an issue, even though I'll probably never run it after I get going with BW 10.
    Hello Adelphos,

    I came in way to later to answer your question, but I am glad that you go some great advice and I am happy to see you online again.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Hello Adelphos,

    I came in way to later to answer your question, but I am glad that you go some great advice and I am happy to see you online again.
    Thanks, Brian. Hope you're doing well.


    Me posting a message was like breaking radio silence, as I have been doing nothing but a whole lot of lifing and running, and praying and meditating therein, for the past year or two, and staying completely off the internet except for checking the news, a practice which I fully intend to continue, God willing and the river don't rise, although I may have to ask a question or two once I get BW 10 installed.


    In that vein, I can see that the service in Bibleworks has gone way down hill since I left, because I ordered BW 10 yesterday afternoon and yet the thumb drive still hasn't arrived yet. I mean, Bibleworks does use drones now, don't they? -

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default Here's How It Works

    For future reference, here's how it works:

    1) I received confirmation via email that my order has shipped.
    2) In a separate email from BW Support I received all the unlock codes for all the modules I previously owned, including those which changed their status over the versions.

    That's because I gave my serial number for BW8 when I upgraded, so they already had all my information... I guess they must be using computers or something.

    Finally, is anybody running BW10 on a tablet or 2-in-one with 2GB of RAM, and if so, is it sufficient?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    For future reference, here's how it works:
    is anybody running BW10 on a tablet or 2-in-one with 2GB of RAM, and if so, is it sufficient?
    I am able to run BW 10 on my ancient Toshiba netbook with Atom CPU single core (from 2009/10) which only has 2GB for ram. I think though that the fact that your table uses FlashMemory or SSD and should have at least a dual core CPU that BW10 will be even more responsive if that is possible. In short I think you will be okay.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    I am able to run BW 10 on my ancient Toshiba netbook with Atom CPU single core (from 2009/10) which only has 2GB for ram. I think though that the fact that your table uses FlashMemory or SSD and should have at least a dual core CPU that BW10 will be even more responsive if that is possible. In short I think you will be okay.
    Thanks, Brian. I just got back from looking around at several computers, and I've decided to go with a 2-in-one with 8GB RAM. Haven't decided which one yet, exactly, possibly the Dell, but I'm pretty well decided on the basic hardware... and the touchpad capability is the only reason I'm upgrading in the first place.

    I know there are a ton of nice new features in BW10 compared to BW8, but I don't use BW academically, and so I was perfectly happy with BW8, but the touchpad feature is the compelling reason for me in upgrading. The new features definitely seem to be a goldmine for those who do use BW academically, and I'm sure I'll make use of some of them, but overall I'm interested in the touchpad, performance and mobility capabilities, so I want to be careful in buying the right hardware at the right time... but doing that is just like playing the stock market... you never know for sure when the right time is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •