Thread: What do you do with BW?

Default What do you do with BW?

I would like to know what others do with BW and get comments on my approach.

· First I read a NT chapter (e.g. NRS Rom 8).
    · I select an important verse (e.g. Rom 8:28).
    · I copy the NRS and BNT versions of this verse into Notes.
    · I prepare a translation of this verse and compare my translations with others in my Browse Window.
    · I choose an important word (e.g. PROQESIS) and find all forms of the lemma.
    · I copy this list to Notes.
    · Then I copy into Notes one significant verse from the list above (e.g. 2 Tim 1:9).
    · I copy to Notes part of the Friberg definition of my significant word.
    · Finally from Schaff's “Early Church Fathers” I find and copy into Notes one quotation from the Fathers which has my significant verse.

So that is my evening study, which I try to do regularly. I would welcome comments.
    Noel Fitzpatrick
    Dublin
    Ireland

Hi Noel,

this is a great question! I already gained a few ideas from the method you provided (never thought about doing a translation for my casual study and was ignorant of Church fathers in Resources window), so I hope others would chime in as well - this could be beneficial for all of us!

You said you copy one verse from the list which results from lemma-search. I suppose you select a verse where lemma has the same meaning as your study verse, and you paste it for the purpose of clarifying that significant word, right?

My method would be (until now, will change now a bit) - one step after the other - off the top of my head:
    • Read the book 30 times through, note the main themes, on the last few readings begin posing question and noting them in notes
    • NEW step, never tried before, but recently begun, and also done in parallel to the process outlined here - memorize the book - 5 verses per day, 6 days per week - Ephesians would be done in 6 weeks (a perfect book for that http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJPZUZM)
    • Structure the book (big chunks)
    • Further structure them into paragraphs
    • Begin paragraph study (usually this is not that orderly) - everything goes into notes - rinse and repeat until all paragraphs in the book are done:
      • Note thought flow, the argument
      • Note key words, do word studies
      • Read different translations, find out exegetical problems
      • Do some reading on grammar, do some morphological searching
      • Try to answer my previously asked questions
      • Application for real life

EDIT: Reading a book 30 times, memorizing it and studying it are three different disciplines that I do every day. They are in this particular order for any particular book, but go in parallel - that is, after I'm done reading a book 30 times, I move to another book, and do not wait until I finish studying it (the same with memorization).
    Last edited by Rokas; 07-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.