Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analysis window Browse verse placement

Default Analysis window Browse verse placement

Below is a help video which shows a feature missing in BW10.

Displaying a Full Passage in the Browse Window

When a Browse window verse is selected and the whole context is to be viewed in the Analysis window under the Browse Tab, the verse in question is highlighted in blue three verses down from the top of the list in this video and in older versions of BW.

How can I get this 3 verses down feature to work in BW10?

I would like three possible options:
    1- Place verse at the top of list.
    2- Place verse three verses down as in video and BW9.
    3- Place verse in center of listing with equal number of context verses above and below.

Does anyone know how to retrieve this feature?

-

This is I believe the link you had in mind:
    How to Use the Browse Tab

This is exactly what I missed a few days ago but didn't manage to post about. The options your propose are really good!

I believe that 3-verses-down highlight was last seen in BW8. Many of us have missed it sorely, and I certainly second these proposals.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

@David

in the link I provided above, I believe it's BW9 (the Use tab and the fourth column was new to BW9, right?) and it has it as well.

Yes, you're right -- in fact, the information accompanying the video says "Applies to BibleWorks 8, 9 -- Copyright 2014." However, I haven't seen that 3-verses-down context in BW 9 for quite awhile; it must have been phased out during some BW9 update. The present situation has been in place at least since October 2014 (see this thread complaining about it).
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

You're right - that's really interesting!
    And since we have so many who need that and since it was already implemented, maybe we don't have to wait for that till BW11. I'll let them know

Good news - they are looking into that!

Default BW Verse Placement

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Good news - they are looking into that!
    Just to let you know what happened: we originally made the change which some of you allude to in response to user requests. It looked like a simple change. Unfortunately a ton of other places in the program assume that the "current verse" is the top verse in the Browse window and the change generated a flurry of unexpected side effects. We will look into making a change but it isn't a simple one and will require a great deal of testing if we decide to do it. We do try to meet the needs of our users but we have to prioritize and some things are much harder than others. Some things that look easy are very hard and some things that look really hard are easy. Thanks for your patience.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Just to let you know what happened: we originally made the change which some of you allude to in response to user requests. It looked like a simple change. Unfortunately a ton of other places in the program assume that the "current verse" is the top verse in the Browse window and the change generated a flurry of unexpected side effects. We will look into making a change but it isn't a simple one and will require a great deal of testing if we decide to do it. We do try to meet the needs of our users but we have to prioritize and some things are much harder than others. Some things that look easy are very hard and some things that look really hard are easy. Thanks for your patience.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks
    Mike, I am sorry for unnecessarily raising expectations and thus forcing you to post this. I was trying not to promise anything, but definitely should have mentioned that it's not simple at all and the end result is not sure. Wanted to point out that you guys care for us (not that it isn't clear already, but still)!

Also, for clarification, you've said "Browse window" - do you mean by it "Browse window" or "Browse tab in Analysis Window", or is this dependence the same in both cases?

And maybe then some other context tab (we have one already, so with some other name) could be done, much simpler than the Browse tab, where other things wouldn't depend on it, but simply providing the (con)text with the "study-verse" in the middle?

Default No problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Mike, I am sorry for unnecessarily raising expectations and thus forcing you to post this. I was trying not to promise anything, but definitely should have mentioned that it's not simple at all and the end result is not sure. Wanted to point out that you guys care for us (not that it isn't clear already, but still)!

Also, for clarification, you've said "Browse window" - do you mean by it "Browse window" or "Browse tab in Analysis Window", or is this dependence the same in both cases?

And maybe then some other context tab (we have one already, so with some other name) could be done, much simpler than the Browse tab, where other things wouldn't depend on it, but simply providing the (con)text with the "study-verse" in the middle?
    Roka, No problem with the post. We are here to help. It's a reasonable request - just not so easy to implement. I'll take a look at it a again alter, perhaps after the smoke from Windows 10 clears. We already have a couple of Windows 10 specific bugs.

Mike