Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in Bibleworks 11?

Quote Originally Posted by AramLT View Post
    I would also like a "Find on page" function, which would allow an extra layer of useful functionality in the Browse window to quickly locate certain words that weren't the initial search term. This would also be beneficial for works non-biblical works (primarily English translations), which have large chapters or verses. I want to be able to search for any work quickly with Ctrl+F (as in most programs), in tandem with having performed a typical search using the command line. This would allow for finding words *near* other words more quickly, but not necessarily within the same verse.
    You can get "find in a defined area" very easily, which is more flexible than the Ctrl+F kind of searching. The "Use" tab in the Analysis windows allows you to set limits (the leftmost button at the top of the Use tab allows these options:
    • Current Book Only,
    • Entire Version,
    • Custom Range [this uses search limit in effect for the current search tab, or you can set it for just the Use tab],
    • Pericope Range [this is controlled by the Outline file in effect for your Browse window. You can create your own outline file if you want to establish your own Pericope boundaries. This outline also controls one of the sections of the Context tab])

(Subsequent addition: Oops, on rereading I think I misunderstood your intention. But I do think that the flexibility of the Use tab is really nice.)

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 07-31-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Default Kwic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    You can get "find in a defined area" very easily, which is more flexible than the Ctrl+F kind of searching. The "Use" tab in the Analysis windows allows you to set limits (the leftmost button at the top of the Use tab allows these options:
    • Current Book Only,
    • Entire Version,
    • Custom Range [this uses search limit in effect for the current search tab, or you can set it for just the Use tab],
    • Pericope Range [this is controlled by the Outline file in effect for your Browse window. You can create your own outline file if you want to establish your own Pericope boundaries. This outline also controls one of the sections of the Context tab])

(Subsequent addition: Oops, on rereading I think I misunderstood your intention. But I do think that the flexibility of the Use tab is really nice.)

--Jim
    I wonder if the KWIC module (Key word in content) might not do what is requested?
    Mike

Default Thank you for the SIL keyboard!

Not so much a wish for BW11 as a thank you for a BW10 update:

Thank you so much for adding the option to use the SIL keyboard in the command line! That's going to save me so much brainpower, since I use SIL for just about every other thing I type in Hebrew. It was sometimes frustrating to try to remember the BW keyboard.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by cmyktaylor View Post
    Crossnote: If recent history is any indication, we're still at the early stage. I'd spend your wad now on a few good books and then start putting aside $0.50 a day for BW11. You should be fine.
    After Logos,Accordance, BibleWorks, OliveTree...books? what are those?
    Actually I am holding on to my ink and paper copies just in case the EMP or a totalitarian type govt. is for real. LOL

Thumbs up

I would like to see BW highlight the current verse reference in the Analysis tab of the Analysis window like it does in the Lexicon/Dictionary pop out window.

Default Search Info directly from Ancient Resource Title

I wish it was easier to find out direct info about the specific ancient resource being searched (e.g., "Testament of Moses.") Maybe by mousing over the book's title and being given the option of going directly to info about that book: including date and such, and how it is not the same as some other book with the same title. That would be extremely intuitive and useful.

Thanks,
    Gary

The "Version" tab already contains some of the information you are seeking. For more information you can open the Charles Old Testament Pseudepigrapha resource under "Resources" and "Backgrounds." I would think that providing this information in a mouse-over window might be difficult to provide for everyone's liking. Some might want all the information in Charles to show up. Others might want a stripped down summary. Who would decide?

Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    I wish it was easier to find out direct info about the specific ancient resource being searched (e.g., "Testament of Moses.") Maybe by mousing over the book's title and being given the option of going directly to info about that book: including date and such, and how it is not the same as some other book with the same title. That would be extremely intuitive and useful.

Thanks,
    Gary
    In addition to Mark's reply, I would add that this sort of "information" is often uncertain, conjectural, or disputed, including precisely such things as dates and relations to other books. You'd inevitably have to present someone's opinion, with which someone else would disagree. Trying to draw it out of an aged resource like Charles would just leave the user with outdated information in many cases. It's a nice thing to wish for, but I don't know if it could be done in a practical and really useful way.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Search Info directly from Ancient Resource Title

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    The "Version" tab already contains some of the information you are seeking. For more information you can open the Charles Old Testament Pseudepigrapha resource under "Resources" and "Backgrounds." I would think that providing this information in a mouse-over window might be difficult to provide for everyone's liking. Some might want all the information in Charles to show up. Others might want a stripped down summary. Who would decide? Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    In addition to Mark's reply, I would add that this sort of "information" is often uncertain, conjectural, or disputed, including precisely such things as dates and relations to other books. You'd inevitably have to present someone's opinion, with which someone else would disagree. Trying to draw it out of an aged resource like Charles would just leave the user with outdated information in many cases. It's a nice thing to wish for, but I don't know if it could be done in a practical and really useful way. David R.
    Mark and David, I appreciate your reply very much. Clearly, nothing about dating and authorship is simple; and everything is debatable. But that really is not the point. Notes like "Thought to be originally in Hebrew from the 2nd BC to late 1st AD, this Greek text is based on _____________" (or something better than that--but short) are much more helpful than nothing at all.

Try this: take 15 newbies to BW10 and give them an assignment to look up every occurrence of grafh in the Pseudepigrapha from the 4th century BCE to the end of the 1st century CE, and list them in fairly chronological order (as much as possible without being fanatical about it), and watch how many get totally lost, especially facing 4ES, ARB, SBP; APR; JA1; JA2; PJO; TS1; ORD; ZEF; RIL. Or which one of them will figure out 4ES in comparison with Charlesworth at all? Looking at the list they get, they can't tell a 3rd century BCE text from a 9th century text. Can it be done? Of course it can. But 10 times longer that it should take.

I'm not asking for videos or holograms. I simply think that BW10 (a great program) could be more useful in this area.

A simple example would be Charlesworth's 2 Vol TOC. Dates are listed on the page beside each source: "Second Century B.C. to First Century A.D" How about that. A book doing something that makes looking at ancient texts a bit more orienting.

So that is something I would like to see.

Thanks for the opportunity of stating the "wish".

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Mark and David, I appreciate your reply very much. Clearly, nothing about dating and authorship is simple; and everything is debatable. But that really is not the point. Notes like "Thought to be originally in Hebrew from the 2nd BC to late 1st AD, this Greek text is based on _____________" (or something better than that--but short) are much more helpful than nothing at all.

I'm not asking for videos or holograms. I simply think that BW10 (a great program) could be more useful in this area.

A simple example would be Charlesworth's 2 Vol TOC. Dates are listed on the page beside each source: "Second Century B.C. to First Century A.D" How about that. A book doing something that makes looking at ancient texts a bit more orienting.

So that is something I would like to see.

Thanks for the opportunity of stating the "wish".

Gary
    Thanks for the details, Gary. I see your point. I guess my point is that this is something BibleWorks would have to create in-house, or contract with someone to do, since the information isn't just there in the print texts they incorporate in the program. Given that there are already 160 posts in this wish-list thread, it might not be doable with their resources. But I really don't know. I apologize for pointing out the obvious in my earlier post.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia