Thread: Hebrew OT reading set up

Default Hebrew OT reading set up

Hey all ...

I am new to BibleWorks, and quite excited and overwhelmed with all the options available.

My first task is that I'm embarking on a goal to read the Hebrew OT through. However, my Hebrew is very rusty, and I'll need BW to give me help.

How can I set it up so I get the Hebrew text, but with grammatical and gloss help available, perhaps in an interlinear format? Or is there another format or set up of resources that would be useful for this? Perhaps I only get gloss/grammar info if selecting a word or phrase?

Thanks!

John

There are a number of ways you could decide to do this.
    If you really want to read the Hebrew without looking at an interlinear, use WTT as your search and display version. In the "BW Options Window" (gear icon) under "Flags" in the drop-down list for "Browse Window Configuration Options" check "Show word tips." Then whenever you place the cursor over a Hebrew word morphology information and English glosses will display in a small window floating over the browse window, so you can look up the words/forms which you do not know.
    If you need more grammatical help, in the Analysis Window open the "Resources" tab, and you can scroll down to see if any of the Hebrew Grammars (as well as other resources) has information about the verse you are viewing.

An alternative is to add WTM (the morphology version of WTT) to your display versions. This will allow you to see the morphological information for all words of a given verse at the same time (assuming that your browse window is in multiple version mode). This will not provide any English translation.

So, if you really need help (as I often do), you could also add a "literal" English translation (such as KJV or NAU, which try to follow Hebrew word order, if possible) as another display version. That way you can quickly look down to locate an English translation (if you can figure out which Hebrew word the English is translating).

That is as close to an interlinear as BW gets.

God bless your study of His word.
    Mark Eddy

1. You will want to select WTT as your version. Mark's suggestions for a parallel English version are good. If you choose to use a parallel English version, you can either open up "Parallel Versions," which you can do by selecting the icon with two stacked open books, about halfway across the top toolbar. Or you can just open a second version in the 4th window Browse tab.

2. You will want to decide whether to turn off Word Tips. This provides the immediate popup glosses which you may or may not want. To turn off, click on the "Gear" icon at the top, 3rd from the left. Click the "+" before "Browse Window Configuration Options," and uncheck the box for "Show Word Tips."

3. You will want to experiment with the different information you will find available to you when you have either the "Analysis" or "Resources" tab selected in the Analysis Window. This is where you will find the bulk of your pertinent information.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.