Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in Bibleworks 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Hallo,

in the spirit of the thread "What would you like to see in Bibleworks 10?", which proved to engage our minds and imaginations of what's possible and needed, I suggest this new thread for already upcoming Bibleworks 11. I know that it's really early, but the earlier, the better! And who knows, some things may be implemented much sooner - like my request last week is already available this week (!!) - so we have nothing to lose and much to gain!

I will begin by one idea I had this morning for Forms tab:
    The ability to choose morphology according to which forms should be grouped. For example, at the present, if I hover over some Greek verb, the Forms tab shows all forms (in other words, it may be too detailed in many cases). I however may be only interested in how many aorist vs present indicatives are out there (and not "aorist active 1 person singular", "aorist active 2 person singular", ... , "aorist passive 1 person singular", etc).
    Can't you use Advanced Search to do that? I've never had much use for Advanced search, and every time I try to wrap my head around it, my brain goes out. At the same time, it seems to have the structure you want because you essentially program it to search on exactly what you want. There ought to be some video tutorials or something packaged with the program which can help.

I see why you'd want this. Basic pastor's tool. That's why I bet there's a way to do it. And, if memory serves, you can save your search criteria like a script to use over and over.

Moi, I just go item by item and that makes for a lot of boring videos (like the ones I did on Petra in Youtube, and the one I need to do on the use of meta). Will be doing more of them in Linux, once I install BW there. Not sure which one I'll install, though (BW5 is easier to use in videos). Maybe then I'll get a brain-in and know how to use Advanced Search.
    @brainouty on twitter, 'Brain Outy' on Youtube, brainout on vimeo. Specializing in Bible dateline/prophetic/Autograph validating meter which since John Knox scholars sought but didn't find. We found it in 2008 and document it pan-Bible.

Default Unlocking and activating modules

I've just installed BW 10 (on my desktop; next the laptop; oy). It is a process, as we all know, but worth it in the end.

I ran into a couple of things that were a bit confusing with regard to unlocking and activating purchased modules. I received the e-mail with the unlock codes for modules I've purchased, but it was difficult to associate some of the codes with specific modules.

For instance, "UP09". Eh? But I dutifully entered the code, and it showed up as "upgrade from BW 9." I would have thought that that (whatever exactly it implies) would have been included in the basic activation code for BW 10 itself.

Then there was BNGD. "BNGD" is not referenced anywhere in the BW 10 installation, neither listed among versions or resources nor mentioned in the Help. It turned out to be the "Barclay Newman New Testament Greek-English Dictionary" (as I finally found out through an online search that took me here). I thought for awhile that, although I'd activated it, it didn't actually install, since I couldn't find it anywhere. But at some point I discovered it under Resources > Greek/Hebrew Lexicons, listed as "UBS Lexicon." Only by checking its title page there did I actually confirm that it was BNGD.

I also found some confusion about Peshitta texts. While deciding which of the standard supplied databases to install, I found (listed under Hebrew texts) PES = the BFBS Peshitta, 1905 (NT only); but also the Leiden OT Peshitta (one of my reasons for upgrading); and then something else listed as the BFBS Peshitta. I think that the latter is what the list of versions calls PHA, which seems to be the 1905 BFBS Peshitta in Hebrew letters and outfitted with accents and vowels by Ewan MacLeod. As for the Leiden OT, that is identified in the versions list as LPE, but not called that in the list of installable modules during the initial setup process.

So, after all this narrative, my request would be, for BW 11 or maybe even for new installation versions of BW 10, greater clarity and consistency regarding the listing of module names among (1) the unlock codes that users receive; (2) the list of modules encountered during installation (if one does not do a full installation); and (3) the titles and lists of versions and resources within the program itself. There is such a fantastic wealth of material in BW that this kind of consistency is really important for users, especially new ones, to be able to understand what they've got.

Two other notes: Some modules didn't seem to "take" when I activated them with their unlock codes during installation; when I started BW, there was a dialog offering to activate installed modules, and the process had to be repeated for them. It did eventually work OK, but added a bit of extra time and confusion. Secondly, the Quick-Start Guide that comes with the flash-drive version: I'm all for reduce-reuse-recycle, but inserting a BW 10 corrections card into a BW 9 quick-start seems unnecessarily frugal, and once again confusing to the newest users.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Concerning the UP09, not everyone who buys BW10 is upgrading. Increasingly those who purchase BW10 will be new users. There are some databases in BW9 which BW10 no longer contains. But you paid for them with BW9 (or earlier). You need the upgrade unlock in order to continue to be able to use them.
    Concerning the unlock codes. They are intended to tell you, the buyer, which databases you own. They are intended to tell the program that you may legally use them. But I admit that some are a bit difficult to figure out. Part of the problem is that some of the books are known by both their titles and by their authors or publishers. So in some circles the abbreviations make sense, while they will be a mystery to those who know the work by the other designation. Confusing for me was the fact that the LEH LXX lexicon used to be a stand-alone unlock, but now it is included in the Stuttgart OT collection.
    My suggestion to others: just unlock every unlock you have, and if you cannot find something you think you should have, contact tech. support. But be sure to check BW Help section 75 Database Sources and Copyrights first. You can figure out most of the abbreviations by looking there.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks, Mark. That does make sense, WRT UP09. I still kind of think, though, that in a 20-character activation code, there could be a way of including an indicator that this is an upgrade from a specific previous version. Anyway, no harm done.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by brainout View Post
    Can't you use Advanced Search to do that? I've never had much use for Advanced search, and every time I try to wrap my head around it, my brain goes out. At the same time, it seems to have the structure you want because you essentially program it to search on exactly what you want. There ought to be some video tutorials or something packaged with the program which can help.

I see why you'd want this. Basic pastor's tool. That's why I bet there's a way to do it. And, if memory serves, you can save your search criteria like a script to use over and over.

Moi, I just go item by item and that makes for a lot of boring videos (like the ones I did on Petra in Youtube, and the one I need to do on the use of meta). Will be doing more of them in Linux, once I install BW there. Not sure which one I'll install, though (BW5 is easier to use in videos). Maybe then I'll get a brain-in and know how to use Advanced Search.
    Hi brainouty, sorry for taking so long to answer!

As you rightly suppose, surely there is a way to search for different forms. You search one form and and then another, and then compare them. Thing is, it's very slow in comparison to what would be possible with forms tab

Default Hebrew Sources

I would love to see the biblical texts of the DSS (in Hebrew), the Hebrew Manuscripts of the DSS (both biblical and sectarian), and the Mishnah or complete Talmud (in Hebrew).
    HaMilim.netronix.com

Default Colored Synopses

I really enjoy having color coding between different bible editions. For example, I like comparing NA28 to SBLGNT and having the differences color coded. In the same way, I would really appreciate color coding in the synopsis tool in order to highlight differences between parallel pericopae within the same bible version. This website is a good example of what I would love to see: http://www.textexcavation.com/syncalldisciples.html

Quote Originally Posted by benelchi View Post
    I would love to see the biblical texts of the DSS (in Hebrew), the Hebrew Manuscripts of the DSS (both biblical and sectarian), and the Mishnah or complete Talmud (in Hebrew).
    The Qumran sectarian manuscripts in Hebrew have been available in BW for a long time. They must be purchased separately (QST & QSM).
    But the biblical DSS and the Talmud are currently available only in English. So, part of your wish has already come true. For the rest, keep wishing.
    Mark Eddy

Better rendering of the fonts under wine for Mac, especially in Greek and languages with accents (i.e. Portuguese). This is probably related you can't use the unicode fonts to display Greek in BW (i.e. Gentium, SBL Greek, Adobe Arno Pro).

Default book of sirach

What about the hebrew text of the Book of Sirach? Is already there?