Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in Bibleworks 11?

Question Syntax Database?

Maybe some syntactical database / tagging added?

Default Orthodox Study Bible

I would like to see the translation used in the Orthodox Study Bible in Bibleworks, primarily for its English translation of the LXX. Licensing the Lexham English Translation of the Septuagint would be fine too.

I haven't gotten BW 10 yet, so someone tell me if this is already in it. For years, I've wished that, when editing command lines, it were possible to use Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to move backward or forward one word at a time instead of just one letter. If you've typed "/bartholomew thaddeus nathanael" and realize at the end that you've misspelled "thaddaeus," it's a pain to go back a letter at a time. OK, a very minor pain, but we're all about the convenience, right?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I haven't even sorted out all that is in BibleWorks 9 yet and you are already asking me about BW11?

@DavidR

I've checked it, not possible (yet).

@jimofbentley

You mean Bibleworks 10? Well, I neither, but I believe Bibleworks is already (or will be soon once all bugs are fixed) working on Bibleworks 11. It makes more sense to tell them what we want now in the beginning rather in the end, when everything will be (not said) and done.

Many thanks, Rokas! I realize the BW Command Line is a special creature, not just an ordinary text editor, but I do hope it may be possible to implement this.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Another idea since the last topic concerning this:

The ability to search in not only verses, but also in sentences, paragraphs, chapters. All this information (full stops, paragraph markers, chapter divisions) are available in the text, so maybe (got no idea actually) this wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I'm still working with BW 7. Poor pastors rarely upgrade unless they win the lottery. But wait, who plays that?

I really like what Logos is doing with their propositional outlines, Lexham syntactical databases, discourse grammar (Runge), etc. But the strengths of BW keep me from spending so much money for a weaker tool. Plus, I would never use most of what comes in Logos, so BW is still where I get all my research done each week.

What is most helpful to me week-in and week-out to prepare sermons, is to use BW to translate the text and do lexical analysis. But then I will work on the structural layout of the text. For the longest time I diagrammed the passage and use Leedy to check where I struggled through the text. I then used Beekman and Callow's Semantic Structure for tagging my diagram with semantic labels. It usually take all of Monday and some of Tuesday to get all of this done. I won't move forward until this is all complete. I want to get at the text as a whole, not just at the sentence level, but the whole paragraph and how each paragraph connects with what comes before and after to trace out the author's argument. I did all of this on Microsoft Word for years.

Recently I came across biblearc.com which has completely transformed my Mondays and Tuesdays. Now I use their Phrasing Module, which allows me to phrase an entire chapter in under an hour. I can usually phrase out my text for preaching in a few minutes. Phrasing allows me to get a visual picture of the coordinate and subordinate relationships in the passage. I then use my own eclectic semantic labeling I've used for years made up of Beekman and Callow and now Guthrie and Duvall's Biblical Exegesis.

I have heard some argue that having the Lexham-type discourse analysis in BW would be going the wrong direction, esp. since it is often too subjective. This is silly. Even Leedy's Diagrams have subjectivity. If you get a thoughtful scholar to provide us with his semantic labeling throughout the NT it would give us a place to check our work or at least see where we are going wrong in especially difficult passages. I double check Leedy all the time. Sometimes I disagree with a syntactical argument he makes but majority of the time he either corrects some mistake I made or helps me work through a particularly difficult passage.

At times, I am tempted to covet what Logos is doing and wish BW would pursue some of this work. I realize there are limits but I would really like the next BW to think in this direction and provide some tools similar to those at biblearc.com for a future BWs. BW has always excelled at the sentence level. But, unless something major has changed with the updates I don't know about, we still could use some tools for working at the paragraph level. Some work in discourse analysis and semantic labeling would be helpful for reference. I think if BWs were to incorporate this is their new version, it would leave what Logos is doing in the dust.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

+1 roblotzer
    anything to work on paragraph level would be awesome!

another few items:
    • fuzzy matching for the "Find Related Verses" tool - now it's useful only with morphologically tagged versions, but with fuzzy matching it could be wonderfully useful with English Bibles as well! The database is there already, so maybe it wouldn't be too much work?
    • ability to save highlight styles (like it is available with morphological coloring) - often I miss a word or two when highlighting and then need to come back and reset all settings (underline/not, text/background color, bold/not, italic/not, etc) to highlight those few missed-out items.
    • ability to have split analysis window when stacked under browse window (was requested in another thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Another idea since the last topic concerning this:

The ability to search in not only verses, but also in sentences, paragraphs, chapters. All this information (full stops, paragraph markers, chapter divisions) are available in the text, so maybe (got no idea actually) this wouldn't be too difficult to implement.
    +1. In fact, +10!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia