Thread: Popup Copy Window

Default Popup Copy Window

I use the Popup Copy window quite frequently and had a couple questions for anyone who uses it.

1. Does BW10 copy window work basically the same way as it does in BW9? Specifically, does one have to select the Bible being used from the button, then the language, then the specific Bible? (a few versions ago, there was an edit box and one could simply type in the version (e.g. BGT or ESV etc.)

2. Does anyone else find that having to select the Bible from the drop-down lists more cumbersome than just typing the abbreviation for the Bible you wish to use?

3. I've not been able to get the Copy to Word option to work with the Mac. Is this fixed with BW10?

BTW, these are not complaints. I LOVE BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I use the Popup Copy window quite frequently and had a couple questions for anyone who uses it.

1. Does BW10 copy window work basically the same way as it does in BW9? Specifically, does one have to select the Bible being used from the button, then the language, then the specific Bible? (a few versions ago, there was an edit box and one could simply type in the version (e.g. BGT or ESV etc.)

2. Does anyone else find that having to select the Bible from the drop-down lists more cumbersome than just typing the abbreviation for the Bible you wish to use?

3. I've not been able to get the Copy to Word option to work with the Mac. Is this fixed with BW10?

Hello Eric,

From what I've been able to see, this feature is unchanged from BW9. That being said, there may be a function you're not used to. When you click on "configure popup copy options", you will see "what versions to include". If you select the radio button that says "search version only", the popup copy window will always copy whatever version you are currently using as your search version. So if you are using, say, NEG and want to copy the Greek text, just double-click on the BGT version (or whatever), then open the popup copy window. That's easier, I think, than either of the two options you mention.

For your third question, I've never had any problems with using this function in Mac. The difference, though, is that you need to have BW as your active application, in order for the popup window to respond to the shortcut command. It should then respond as usual (i.e., ctl + shift + space).

Hope that's helpful.

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Hello Donald, and thanks for the response.

I am aware of the option to set the copy to the search version, however, if I use that, I'm constantly having to change back to my default search version (usually the BGM).

I'm curious if you use Word for Mac or perhaps use Parallels and the MS version of Word. Whenever I try to copy to Word, I get the error dialog, "Could not locate Word." My Word program is open, but it does not seem to locate it.

Thanks.

On a related note, is anyone else having trouble getting the Ctrl-Shift-b toggle combination to work in Word using Bibleworks 10? I tried changing the shortcut key to something else, but that didn't work either.

Default Popup Copy

The next update will accept version IDs in the Popup Copy window to change versions.
    The Copy to Word feature does not work on the Mac. I am not sure if or when it will be changed. There are a good many Mac improvements that are more important.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hello Donald, and thanks for the response.

I am aware of the option to set the copy to the search version, however, if I use that, I'm constantly having to change back to my default search version (usually the BGM).

I'm curious if you use Word for Mac or perhaps use Parallels and the MS version of Word. Whenever I try to copy to Word, I get the error dialog, "Could not locate Word." My Word program is open, but it does not seem to locate it.

Thanks.
    Eric,

Because I've had the BW via Parallel for several years now, I tend to use that most of the time on my primary Mac. Also, that particular machine has an older OS, so I haven't installed BW10 on it. However, I do use the native Mac version pretty frequently on my IMac.

Here are a couple things that may help:
    - When I copy directly from the browse pane, I copy to the clipboard; from there I go back to Word and do cmd + v, the usual copy and paste command. I never got into the habit of copying directly from BW to Word (for some reason), so the fact that it doesn't work in the Mac version never really bothered me.
    - I think the reason for it not working is connected with the fact that Crossover functions as an OS in itself (i.e., it replaces Windows). For a copied text to go out of the Crossover OS directly to Word, there would have to be an additional step which, apparently, has never been set up.
    - That's no doubt also the reason for not being able to open the popup copy window directly from Word. But having to make BW the active application in order to open the popup copy window, isn't too big a hassle, IMO. I still find it easier than what other Bible programs do.

Just out of curiosity, why is your usual display version a morphology version? Doesn't that mean you can't really toggle between the browse mode and the multiple version mode very easily? FWIW, I have one browse pane dedicated to BGM (GLT, actually) that I use for morphology searches, and one for BGT (or GLM), another for WTT, etc. To each his own, of course, but I find that to be a time-saving setup which allows me to use the different panes for different uses.

Hope all that can be helpful to you!

Regards,

Donald Cobb