Thread: Transfer settings Mac BW 9 to BW 10

Default Transfer settings Mac BW 9 to BW 10

I have many tweaks to BW 9 that include font choices and size; set up of Bible Favorites (translations that show in the browse window) for certain types of study; parallel bible choices; text comparison choices etc. I am going to update to BW 10 for Mac from BW 9. Is there an .ini file that can be saved and restored? Any other user files other than Notes that needs to be manually backed up and restored?

Why can these setting not just transfer over? The options to set BW the way we want are quite vast, but having to do them over again is not appealing to me. Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I have many tweaks to BW 9 that include font choices and size; set up of Bible Favorites (translations that show in the browse window) for certain types of study; parallel bible choices; text comparison choices etc. I am going to update to BW 10 for Mac from BW 9. Is there an .ini file that can be saved and restored? Any other user files other than Notes that needs to be manually backed up and restored?

Why can these setting not just transfer over? The options to set BW the way we want are quite vast, but having to do them over again is not appealing to me. Please advise.
    They can "just transfer over"! When you install BW10 you will be prompted if you want to "migrate" your files and settings. Some transfer easily (the files), some may be a bit tricky. The version order will have to be changed, since there are new Bible versions in BW10. But as BW now works all new versions are added to the end of your version order, so that your old versions can still be in the same order.
    I don't have a Mac, but in beta testing on my 2 PCs the migration process worked more smoothly than it had from BW8 to 9 (which was much better than moving from 7 to 8).
    Mark Eddy

Mark,
    Thanks for the reply. Given that the YouTube instructions require a complete uninstall of BW Mac 9, I do not see how this will work for Mac. Maybe by the next update they will get it included for Mac or maybe it will work without BW 9 installed

I do not know how Mac does a "complete uninstall," but when you uninstall BW using the installation disk, BW leave all user-created files in their respective folders in a BW9 directory. Then BW10 finds the BW9 folders and migrates the information there into BW10. So unless Mac completely wipes out the BW9 files, you should have no problems.
    By the way, although the directions tell you to uninstall your existing version of BW first, during beta testing when we could not allow BW10 to be seen in public, I left BW9 on this computer for public presentations, and I installed BW10 in addition. There are a few shared files which BW9 and BW10 overwrite whenever you launch the other one. And so it is strongly advised to uninstall the old BW first. But unless your hard drive is really short of space, you can get away with leaving the old version on your hard drive, if you are really afraid of wiping out your special files. But my guess is that installing the old version by using that version's installation disk will do the trick.
    God bless!
    Mark Eddy