Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: What's your favorite "new" Bible Works 10 feature?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    I used the "Narrate WTT" option a lot in Bibleworks 9 and miss it in version 10.
    It still works. Just follow the instructions here to re-enable it: http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=1102

    If you already have the sound files installed, you should only have to copy and paste the path provided in step 3, and enable the link.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Actually there is one big improvement in how the Hebrew lexicons work. Now you can view as many of them as you own in the Analysis Window together, as you could do with the Greek lexicons already in BW8/9.
    Mark Eddy
    Mark, I haven't gotten BW10 yet (waiting for my tax refund! ), but I'm curious about this ability to "view as many as you own" of Greek lexicons in the Analysis Window together in BW9. At least in the Analysis tab, I can see only one Greek lexicon at a time, the one I've designated as the Analysis Window default.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Mark, I haven't gotten BW10 yet (waiting for my tax refund! ), but I'm curious about this ability to "view as many as you own" of Greek lexicons in the Analysis Window together in BW9. At least in the Analysis tab, I can see only one Greek lexicon at a time, the one I've designated as the Analysis Window default.
    Now when you click "Default Analysis Window Greek (or Hebrew) Lexicons," a checkbox comes up, and you can select as many installed lexicons you want to appear in the AW and the order in which you want them to appear.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Now when you click "Default Analysis Window Greek (or Hebrew) Lexicons," a checkbox comes up, and you can select as many installed lexicons you want to appear in the AW and the order in which you want them to appear.
    Thanks, Lee. That's definitely not the case for me in BW9--I can choose only one Greek and one Hebrew lexicon as default. Another reason to upgrade to 10!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default Yes you can, in Greek

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks, Lee. That's definitely not the case for me in BW9--I can choose only one Greek and one Hebrew lexicon as default. Another reason to upgrade to 10!
    BibleWorks9 does allow you to display all Greek lexicons in the Analysis pane. Tools/Options/General Greek options, and check "Show entries from all Greek Lexicons in Analysis Window". Your selected Greek Lexicon displays first, but the order of the rest is fixed.
    BW9 has noting comparable for Hebrew. Yes, BW10 does it better, by allowing you to specify which ones you want, and extending it to Hebrew. But what I've seen in the videos suggests that you still cannot specify the order they will display in, which would be very useful (I really do want to specify the flavour of the icing on my cake).

    Isn't it interesting/amusing how these large threads go meandering off on various rabbit trails? Would be nice if there were an easy way to make them into independent threads.

    I've gotten permission from my wife to upgrade (I'm retired, she is not), but I'm waiting a bit till the bleeding edge has been honed a bit. Also am trying to decide whether the Stuttgart Modules make sense for me -- I already have Metzger, LEH, and UBS/Newman grandfathered in from BW7. It would be nice to have something other than NET notes to deal with textual issues in the OT, but the money feels like a lot, especially since the Canadian Dollar is weak just now. I'd be happier to spend that kind of money on a Dead Sea Scriptures with morphological database add-on.

    And how is that for a multi-themed post?

    --Jim

  6. #36

    Default

    Thanks, Lee, for your help. Jim, I can confirm that you *can* specify the order of both Greek and Hebrew lexicons. It's a nice improvement!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    But what I've seen in the videos suggests that you still cannot specify the order they will display in, which would be very useful (I really do want to specify the flavour of the icing on my cake).
    Actually, you can do just that:

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  446.0 KB

    The "up" and "down" tabs are how you adjust in what order your selected lexicons appear.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    And how is that for a multi-themed post?
    You might as well get your mileage out of it!
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    BibleWorks9 does allow you to display all Greek lexicons in the Analysis pane. Tools/Options/General Greek options, and check "Show entries from all Greek Lexicons in Analysis Window". Your selected Greek Lexicon displays first, but the order of the rest is fixed.
    BW9 has noting comparable for Hebrew. Yes, BW10 does it better, by allowing you to specify which ones you want, and extending it to Hebrew.
    Jim, I had no idea that was possible. My own fault for not testing each and every one of the options! This will save me lots of work looking up lemmata in the Lexicon Browser.

    I'll look forward to being able to select the lexica to appear in v. 10, and ordering them as I wish. And assuming that the ability to pop up a new Word Analysis Window is still there in 10, that will make it easier to look through the whole set.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    dmiller, Lee, thanks for the information. I should have had more faith in the folks at BW.

    As an aside, I viewed most of the new BW videos on Utube. I yawned through some of the duplication, but quite a few times I saw a capability/technique that made me wonder, "is that a feature that is in BW9 that I never noticed?", and yep, most of them do work in BW9.

    --Jim

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    I've gotten permission from my wife to upgrade (I'm retired, she is not), but I'm waiting a bit till the bleeding edge has been honed a bit. Also am trying to decide whether the Stuttgart Modules make sense for me -- I already have Metzger, LEH, and UBS/Newman grandfathered in from BW7. It would be nice to have something other than NET notes to deal with textual issues in the OT, but the money feels like a lot, especially since the Canadian Dollar is weak just now. I'd be happier to spend that kind of money on a Dead Sea Scriptures with morphological database add-on.
    --Jim
    I think the CNTTS apparatus is included in the base package of BW9 & 10. For a number of years I have been using that rather than the Stuttgart Modules for NT. So you do not have to rely on NET notes. In CNTTS you can see the actual reading of scores of mss, rather than just taking the editors' word for it that a certain ms. backs a certain reading. CNTTS does not cover as many mss. as are in NA28, but once I got CNTTS (and Comfort and Barrett for papyri, for an additional charge) I seldom check the apparatus of NA28 any more.
    But for the OT there is nothing in BW like the Stuttgart module. It includes the apparatus for the Rahlfs LXX as well as the BHS apparatus. Without these there is not much in BW for OT textual criticism, except the pictures of the Leningrad codex in BW10.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 04-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •