Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite "new" Bible Works 10 feature?

crossnote, I'm curious what app you use on your Android device. I use OliveTree's Bible study app and texts on my Android phone, and they are outstanding in that limited environment. But (with my very limited knowledge of various computer platforms), I agree that Mike's account of BW's thinking makes sense. I'm guessing that my next major portable device (not including the new phone I'll need this summer) will be a laptop with a detachable tablet-like screen (though watching my niece work on her Surface Pro recently was pretty intriguing). I do professional-grade biblical research, and while that will always be a more limited market than the larger group of users who do valuable personal Bible study on the go, I think there will always be scholars, pastors, and some "lay" Bible researchers who will need (and be willing to pay for) the amazing set of tools that BW offers, and the hardware platform needed to run it.

Here, for instance, is a scenario that might happen for me. I'm at a conference (or in church), and hear a speaker make some points that stimulate ideas for my own further research. I do a quick lookup or two in the OliveTree app then and there, copy some texts and make some notes in Evernote on my phone, and later, back at my desktop or laptop, expand the Evernote notes with research in BibleWorks. This then can eventually become the basis of published work (involving Nota Bene, the multilingual word processor and research environment that has coincidentally also just come out with version 10). I need several pieces of software on two different kinds of platforms to carry this out, and I cheerfully (well, fairly cheerfully) support BW, OT, NB, Evernote, Dell, and Samsung in the process. This can be called fragmentation. It can also be called the right tools for particular phases of the job, IMHO.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Big and Little

Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Thanks, makes sense. I do most of my bible and bible study work off of an 8" android pad mainly due to it's portability. Perhaps something like a BW10 lite would be feasible?
    We thought about a BibleWorks lite but it didn't make sense logistically or financially. The maret for "lite" Bible software is flooded. And it would fragment our efforts. We decided it made more sense to try to do one thing well.

BW10 allows you to easily remove any of the columns. On my 8" Dell Venue I run in 2 column mode so while I am listening to a speaker I can scroll through verses and lookup lexical information. I can easily switch from lexicons to editor in the second window. I run it at 200% to make it more readable and it works well. And the full power of BW is there if I need it, although it gets awkward on a small screen. But in minimalist mode it is a stellar "lite" app. The magnification works well on top level windows. It needs some tweaking in a few areas but on the whole it works well. Our goal was to have something that works well on a 30" monitor or a 8" pad and we are getting really close to that goal. But the program needs a mature OS behind if we are to have a single program that does both.
    Last edited by MBushell; 04-21-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    crossnote, I'm curious what app you use on your Android device. I use OliveTree's Bible study app and texts on my Android phone, and they are outstanding in that limited environment. But (with my very limited knowledge of various computer platforms), I agree that Mike's account of BW's thinking makes sense. I'm guessing that my next major portable device (not including the new phone I'll need this summer) will be a laptop with a detachable tablet-like screen (though watching my niece work on her Surface Pro recently was pretty intriguing). I do professional-grade biblical research, and while that will always be a more limited market than the larger group of users who do valuable personal Bible study on the go, I think there will always be scholars, pastors, and some "lay" Bible researchers who will need (and be willing to pay for) the amazing set of tools that BW offers, and the hardware platform needed to run it.

Here, for instance, is a scenario that might happen for me. I'm at a conference (or in church), and hear a speaker make some points that stimulate ideas for my own further research. I do a quick lookup or two in the OliveTree app then and there, copy some texts and make some notes in Evernote on my phone, and later, back at my desktop or laptop, expand the Evernote notes with research in BibleWorks. This then can eventually become the basis of published work (involving Nota Bene, the multilingual word processor and research environment that has coincidentally also just come out with version 10). I need several pieces of software on two different kinds of platforms to carry this out, and I cheerfully (well, fairly cheerfully) support BW, OT, NB, Evernote, Dell, and Samsung in the process. This can be called fragmentation. It can also be called the right tools for particular phases of the job, IMHO.
    I use Olivetree, Logos5 (Biblical Languages), Pocket Bible (Biblesoft), MySword, Multiversions, and for forums QuickBible (ease of copy and paste can't be beat ).

HERE is my quick take on the best new features after a couple months of beta testing.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ... I'm curious what app you use on your Android device.
    Here is my A Quick Survey of Bible Apps for Android and iPhone. I use MySword on my Android phone because it's the fastest. I use Logos and now BibleWorks 10 on my Windows systems for all my serious work.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    I also have a Dell Venue and a Microsoft Surface and they run full BibleWorks 10 wonderfully well. There is not a Bible application on any iOS or Android pad computer that can touch it.
    Very well said, and I agree totally. I've been running BW 9 on the little Dell Venue myself for about a year. Love it! Ultra tablets will hopefully take over these pad thingy's, which IMHO are a waste of money. Yes Michael, please don't take your focus away from where it currently is.

Also, I've got BW 10 loaded up on the pc and am now applying my tweaks. Haven't really gotten under the hood yet but the new interface is EXCELLENT! I really love the clean, sharp look. Now I just need a day to play!

Blessings,
    Dave
    Last edited by calvary; 04-21-2015 at 04:35 AM.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

In terms of the Tablet Lite version of BW I feel I have discussed that before and still agree with the BW staff, single apps are nice for some things, but I could imagine trying to do more intensive study on a touchscreen.

Trying to get back at the original reason for the post, having had BW 10 installed for all of one hour, I can say that I am most excited about the Leningrad tab. However, I know myself, and I know that when it all comes down to it the most useful thing will be the UserLex tab. This is already a feature that feels like I didn't know I needed it. I will be using this a lot, although it will take some time to import all the Word Studies I've already done, once complete it will all be worth it.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Default iDevices and BibleWorks

I use Splashtop, a free remote desktop app available for all Apple products as well as Windows computers. I have used this to display BibleWorks on a classroom projector with iPad, accessing my remote Windows computer's copy of BW9. It does require a good wifi signal (or LTE connection), but it is an alternative, and keeps the BW gang from overextending their resources.

Unhappy BW 10 New Feature

The new version looks nice. One sad point for me is the elimination of the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament - Richard Laird Harris (TWOT). This module is one of the most important features when studying the Hebrew text. Does anyone know if they will offer it as module? If not what a shame - I have purchased 6, 7, 8 and 9 but 9 will be my last unless that module is available. However, having said that BW is still the best program on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    What new BibleWorks 10 feature(s) or module(s) are you excited about?

1. New screen layouts
    2. New Screen (GUI) Colors
    3. Screen Scaling
    4. Greater Mac compatibility
    5. Morphological Coloring
    6. High resolution images of the Leningradensis Codex
    7. Ephraemi Rescriptus (M-04)
    8. Claromontanus (M-06)
    9. Essential Biblical Hebrew, Jan Verbruggen.
    10. EPUB Reader
    11. User Lexicon
    12. Stuttgart Original Languages Package - New Testament Edition (add on)
    13. Stuttgart Original Languages Package - Old Testament Edition (add on)
    14. Texts and apparatuses (add on)
    15. Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (28th edition)
    16. AGNT Tab
    17. Forms Tab
    18. Improved Search Window History Button
    19. Fuzzy Search
    20. Holy Land Picture Database
    21. German Bible Society - NA27 Greek NT sound files
    22. Robinson-Pierpont Greek NT Sound files
    23. ESV Concise Bible Atlas, Barrett & Currid (2012)
    24. ESV Bible Atlas, Barrett & Currid (2010)
    25. WTT MORPH 4.16 Update
    26. AGNT Update
    27. The Friberg AGNT morphology has now been updated to NA28.
    28. Byzantine (Robinson-Pierpont) version
    29. Friberg AGNT 2014
    30. Additional "English" versions that are composed of the English Reference Glosses in AGNT/ABYZ (AERG/BERG).
    31. The Byzantine Greek New Testament from The Center for Study and Preservation of the Majority Text (CSPMT)
    32. The Concise Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament (2009), Frederick William Danker
    33. New English Translation of the Septuagint (2007)
    34. Hebrew Samaritan Pentateuch
    35. Modified version of the WTT Pentateuch
    36. Transformation Greek New Testament
    37. A new approach to understanding the Greek N
    38. ALF - Alford Greek New Testament (1874)
    39. CEI74 - La Sacra Bibbia della Conferenza Episcopale Italiana (1974)
    40. LACH - Lachmann Greek New Testament
    41. MHT - Modern Hebrew New Testament (2010)
    42. SBP - Portuguese - Modern Language Translation.
    43. TKW- Textbibel von Kautzsch und Weizsäcker
    44. VLH - Vietnamese Liturgy of the Hours
    45. VIE - Vietnamese Bible (now in Unicode)
    46. UWTT - WTT Hebrew without accents or vowel points
    47. LPE/LPEH/LPEA/LPEAH - Leiden OT Peshitta
    48. GTG - Gospel of Thomas
    49. N78N - Bibelen 1978/85 Norsk (Norwegian)
    50. N78B - Bibelen 1978/85 Nynorsk (Bokmål) (Norwegian)
    51. SIRT/SIRM - Ben Sira text from Egger-Wenzel and Krammer

As I said in another thread, I'm getting ready to move back to the states and and I'm getting rid of my print copy of TWOT because I have it in BW. Is it confirmed that it is no longer available?