Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's your favorite "new" Bible Works 10 feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I think the CNTTS apparatus is included in the base package of BW9 & 10.
    I confirm.

Donald Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    ... am trying to decide whether the Stuttgart Modules make sense for me -- I already have Metzger, LEH, and UBS/Newman grandfathered in from BW7. It would be nice to have something other than NET notes to deal with textual issues in the OT, but the money feels like a lot, especially since the Canadian Dollar is weak just now. I'd be happier to spend that kind of money on a Dead Sea Scriptures with morphological database add-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I think the CNTTS apparatus is included in the base package of BW9 & 10. For a number of years I have been using that rather than the Stuttgart Modules for NT. So you do not have to rely on NET notes. In CNTTS you can see the actual reading of scores of mss, rather than just taking the editors' word for it that a certain ms. backs a certain reading. CNTTS does not cover as many mss. as are in NA28, but once I got CNTTS (and Comfort and Barrett for papyri, for an additional charge) I seldom check the apparatus of NA28 any more.
    But for the OT there is nothing in BW like the Stuttgart module. It includes the apparatus for the Rahlfs LXX as well as the BHS apparatus. Without these there is not much in BW for OT textual criticism, except the pictures of the Leningrad codex in BW10.
    Mark Eddy
    Thanks, Mark, for the comparison of CNTTS and the NA28 apparatus.
    I am aware of CNTTS, have used it a fair bit (mostly when trying to help others understand how to use it).
    You make a good argument for the Stuttgart OT module; if I pay $150US for the OT module, the NT module is just $50 more, so I'm trying to decide whether the NT module is worth $50 to me.
    From the recent forum discussion of CTEN module (Comfort & Barrett) I'll probably spring the $30 for it.
    --Jim

Default Bhq

While we're talking about the Stuttgart SOLM module, can anyone confirm that the BHQ, when it is released, will be complete and include the BHQ critical apparatus? I note that the website just says BHQ without mentioning the apparatus. Also, does the UBS4 in the SOLN module include its apparatus or just the text?

Thanks!

David

Default Bhq

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    While we're talking about the Stuttgart SOLM module, can anyone confirm that the BHQ, when it is released, will be complete and include the BHQ critical apparatus? I note that the website just says BHQ without mentioning the apparatus. Also, does the UBS4 in the SOLN module include its apparatus or just the text?

Thanks!

David
    The BHQ should have the critical apparatus. We have a few books in hand but the project has a long ways to go. People who license SOLO will get the BHQ stuff as GBS gives it to us and we have time to convert it. But it is a limited set right now.

The UBS4 text in BW10 is the same as was in the old BW9 identified as GNT. No apparatus. We are awaiting the full UBS5 from GBS with apparatus and when we get it we will begin work on conversion and inclusion in BW10 for SOLN license holders. I don't have a date as GBS has not given us one. But it will come in due course.

Mike

Default Font size of SOLM apparatuses

Thanks for your clarification on BHQ, Mike. Can you (or anyone else) help me with another SOLM related question? Having the textual apparatuses available in Bibleworks is handy, but the font size is way too small on my high-resolution screen (a Surface Pro 3). Is there a way to increase the font size in the apparatus? Scaling seems to affect everything else except for the apparatus window (and menus).

(Perhaps I should note that the first two system scaling options distort the whole screen so much that it is painful to use; I had to select "System should not scale BibleWorks" to make Bibleworks 10 usable. This means that menu text is tiny, but the biblical text, etc., is at least clear. I can live with tiny menus, but if there is no way to adjust the size of the SOLM apparatuses I will likely need to return the module.)

David

Default SOLM scaling

Thanks for your clarification on BHQ, Mike. Can you (or anyone else) help me with another SOLM related question? Having the textual apparatuses available in Bibleworks is handy, but the font size is way too small on my high-resolution screen (a Surface Pro 3). Is there a way to increase the font size in the apparatus? Scaling seems to affect everything else except for the apparatus window (and menus).

(Perhaps I should note that the first two system scaling options distort the whole screen so much that it is painful to use; I had to select "System should not scale BibleWorks" to make Bibleworks 10 usable. This means that menu text is tiny, but the biblical text, etc., is at least clear. I can live with tiny menus, but if there is no way to adjust the size of the SOLM apparatuses I will likely need to return the module.)

David
    Try holding down the CTRL key and using the scroll wheel to size the text. This should work on all BW test that is HTML behind the scenes, which is true of all the apparatuses.

The Microsoft system scaling blows up pixels so you lose resolution. It does work but the results are less than ideal. Right now we have native scaling in BW only for top level windows. Each window has to be hand coded so it will take time to work downwards.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Try holding down the CTRL key and using the scroll wheel to size the text. This should work on all BW text that is HTML behind the scenes, which is true of all the apparatuses.
    Thank you. That works. (Pinch-to-zoom does too, it turns out.) Still blurry, but bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The Microsoft system scaling blows up pixels so you lose resolution. It does work but the results are less than ideal. Right now we have native scaling in BW only for top level windows. Each window has to be hand coded so it will take time to work downwards. Mike
    Is the hope, then, to release an update that includes native scaling in the Verse tab as well?

Thanks again,

David

Just started fiddling with User Lexicon today. Been using the Notes window for years. This UL is WAY cool. Now I'll have two sets of notes to keep a backup of. Excellent new feature!!!!

Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Thank you. That works. (Pinch-to-zoom does too, it turns out.) Still blurry, but bigger. Is the hope, then, to release an update that includes native scaling in the Verse tab as well? Thanks again, David
    If I'm not mistaken the latest update (10.0.3.228) added scaling to menus, which is really nice.