Thread: Search Limits: QST and OT

Default Search Limits: QST and OT

Is it possible to look up a passage in the Qumran texts (QST), and do a search on a phrase there that would also include the Hebrew Bible? I found a phrase in 1QM, and I wanted to see if it occurred in the HB. I had set the search to no limits.

Quote Originally Posted by MBD View Post
    Is it possible to look up a passage in the Qumran texts (QST), and do a search on a phrase there that would also include the Hebrew Bible? I found a phrase in 1QM, and I wanted to see if it occurred in the HB. I had set the search to no limits.
    Hello MBD,

I'm more at ease with the Greek side of things than the Hebrew, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but I have tried a similar experience. It's difficult comparing QST with WTT because the former doesn't distinguish between Sin and Shin (the two are represented by one letter, that is actually X). Additionally, if there are any variants at all (mater lectionis, etc.) the comparison won't be recognized.

However, what you can do is compare WTM and QSM, which are based not on the form (or spelling) but on the morphological data. To do that, you have to 1) set the Cross version search mode to "search and prune all same language versions", 2) place a ' at the beginning of the command line (= exact order), then 3) in reverse order right-click individually on each of the words that are part of the phrase you want to search for, and select "append to command line" (note that BW automatically adds a space before each word; after you've appended the first word, you'll have to go into the command line and remove that first space--the others need to be left in, however). Once you've got the phrase you want, you can do the search. I just tried it on הָאָדָם וָחָי in Lv 18.5, which brings up 4 hits in QSM.

It's not as smooth a solution as one might wish for, but it works well.

BTW, you can get around the problem of the ש, by downloading M. Hanel's UWTT, which is WTT but with the Sin and the Shin unpointed (you'll find it in the user files. Very nice for comparisons with the Samaritan Pent. Thanks Michael!).

Hope that helps.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    BTW, you can get around the problem of the ש, by downloading M. Hanel's UWTT, which is WTT but with the Sin and the Shin unpointed (you'll find it in the user files. Very nice for comparisons with the Samaritan Pent. Thanks Michael!).
    Although I do love to take as much credit for things as possible (), you actually owe more thanks to Jim Darlack for that particular contribution. You can see the blog post here.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Although I do love to take as much credit for things as possible (), you actually owe more thanks to Jim Darlack for that particular contribution. You can see the blog post here.
    Right. I should have double-checked what I thought was correct, based on my far-from-infallible memory! So thanks to Jim Darlack! That having been said, Jim's UWTT fills a real need for comparing MT with other Hebrew texts. It would be nice to see it integrated into the next version of BW (as well as the Samaritan Pentateuch).

Don