Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Default BibleWorks 10

Quote Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
    I would like to post a possible reason why. If you notice on the BibleWorks homepage, they show Bibleworks running on a tablet, a Surface Pro 3, and a Mac. A Surface Pro 3 is manufactured by Microsoft and is basically a tablet with a keyboard attached. (the keyboard is not included. You have to pay extra for that.) All the screens on the homepage are running Windows except the Mac. The problem is that Windows has not been successful in gaining market share on tablets or phones. Windows has only a 4% market share at this time. My guess is that they are working to get BibleWorks so it's usable on Android and Apple tablets for the long haul. It would be a huge effort. There are a couple of ways that they could do this that I know of but at any rate I'm pulling for the BibleWorks team and look forward to whatever they come up with!!
    I don't want to open a can of worms. My grandfather said don't do that unless you're going fishing. But a couple of comments may be helpful. Windows still dominates the desktop PC market with 75% of the share. Apple is less than 5%. Where Apple has a big lead is in the pad computer arena. But the 4% number is very misleading. Most serious work is still done on desktops and laptops. We could debate that until the cows come home, but this isn't the best place for that discussion. Anyone who writes off Windows is making a big mistake, whether the discussion is about desktops, or pad computers.

We are aware that this is the longest length of time between versions that we have had. There are many reasons for that. One main one is the development of a Mac version, a process which is still ongoing. The Mac version in BibleWorks 10 is a vast improvement over BW9. Ant it will continue to get better and better over time. We have also made significant changes in the program interface which have taken a long time to complete. We have done all the easy things. Most of the improvements in BibleWorks 10 are difficult and time-consuming. But we think people will appreciate them. Of course we can't give any dates for obvious reasons. But we are working hard at it and will have something for you, Lord willing, well before the cows come home.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Michael. I for one am glad we don't rush from version to version. In the past I feel like I'm barely using all the power under the hood before the next version comes out.
    But don't get me wrong--I'm ready for 10.

Thanks for the giving us the best bible software on the planet!!!!

Blessings and peace,
    Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    But we are working hard at it and will have something for you, Lord willing, well before the cows come home.
    Mike
    Does that mean today? (I live in a county that has more cows per square mile than any other county East of the Mississippi River. It's very cold outside, and the cows are all home.)

Quote Originally Posted by navilluspm View Post
    Does that mean today? (I live in a county that has more cows per square mile than any other county East of the Mississippi River. It's very cold outside, and the cows are all home.)
    Hey, I like that interpretation.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

I'm very interested to see how those interface updates come out.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Mac Version in BW10 - Coded for mac?

We are aware that this is the longest length of time between versions that we have had. There are many reasons for that. One main one is the development of a Mac version, a process which is still ongoing. The Mac version in BibleWorks 10 is a vast improvement over BW9. Ant it will continue to get better and better over time.

Mike
    Is the Mac Version in BW 10 a true Mac-Coded software or it will work under WINE as BW9? My hunch is that BW 10 will still not have a natively coded mac version, but will be translated through WINE, which is not the best solution.
    I hear your argument about 75% of computers still being Windows based, and I know that investing into the development of a true Mac version of BW will cost a lot of $$$, but you guys have to seriously consider it. Here is why:

I have 40+ pastor friends; many of whom either have a Mac Computer or consider switching to Mac. The younger colleagues of mine do not even consider anything else but Mac. And virtually every pastor friend of mine has an iPad; only one of them has a Surface Pro. Some of my pastor friends, who were BW users already switched to Accordance simply because Accordance has an iPad app. I have considered switching to Accordance myself because I use Mac, but after trying it out, I can say, that it cannot hold a candle to BW. BW is vastly superior and worth every penny; this is why I'm putting up with BW under parallels + Windows, which drains my battery much faster than OS X.

Don't do the mistake of Microsoft, waiting to get on the mobile market till it was too late and now MS is playing the catch-up game with Apple. Accordance has already a Windows version, and Logos their Mac version. I will hate to see BW being overshadowed by Accordance or Logos, both of which are not on the level of BW!
    Thank you for developing a superior Bible Software and for reading this post!
    Blessings!

Red face I highly appreciate your post!

Thank you MBushell for posting the following:

We are aware that this is the longest length of time between versions that we have had. There are many reasons for that. One main one is the development of a Mac version, a process which is still ongoing. The Mac version in BibleWorks 10 is a vast improvement over BW9. Ant it will continue to get better and better over time. We have also made significant changes in the program interface which have taken a long time to complete. We have done all the easy things. Most of the improvements in BibleWorks 10 are difficult and time-consuming. But we think people will appreciate them. Of course we can't give any dates for obvious reasons. But we are working hard at it and will have something for you, Lord willing, well before the cows come home.

Mike
    I appreciate every word of this exciting news and look forward to seeing this in the future. I am also thankful that you and your team made the wise decision to take the time to work the next version rather than pushing out incremental new versions just for the sake of marketing. I highly respect that as I believe that is a very tough decision for any company to make in this highly competitive capitalistic world. As, always may God continue to bless and keep you.

Grace and Peace,
    Brian
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 02-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default BW on Mac

Hi Julian,

BibleWorks 9 on Mac runs under Wine, yes, but the program runs the same as a native Mac version. What matters, in the end, is not how the program is coded, but how it works for the user. Yes, there are a few items that are not up to the same level as the Windows installation, but they are minor items. The Mac version works very well!

You mentioned that you are using BW under Parallels + Windows. I suggest spending the $6 to get the Mac installer and trying it out on your Mac. You might be surprised at how well it runs! (Your BW9 disks have to be Revision 3 or higher. If they are not Rev 3 or higher, you would also need to obtain a new set of disks, which currently are priced at $30.) These are available on the BibleWorks webstore.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Julian,

BibleWorks 9 on Mac runs under Wine, yes, but the program runs the same as a native Mac version. What matters, in the end, is not how the program is coded, but how it works for the user. Yes, there are a few items that are not up to the same level as the Windows installation, but they are minor items. The Mac version works very well!

You mentioned that you are using BW under Parallels + Windows. I suggest spending the $6 to get the Mac installer and trying it out on your Mac. You might be surprised at how well it runs! (Your BW9 disks have to be Revision 3 or higher. If they are not Rev 3 or higher, you would also need to obtain a new set of disks, which currently are priced at $30.) These are available on the BibleWorks webstore.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn,
    I appreciate your reply and will definitely give the Mac Installer a try when the BW 10 comes out. I am convinced BW 10 will be very good. I'm using BW since v. 4 and have never been disappointed by any of the updates; each worth the money. Thank you for the exceptional exegetical tool you give us through BibleWorks!!! I cannot imagine my sermon prep without BibleWorks.
    Julian

Default Initial impression of BW-Mac via VirtualBox vs. BW-Mac via CodeWeavers / WINE

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Julian,

Blessings,
    Glenn
    I am using a Mac and am new to BW. I recently installed BW on an Windows XP virtual machine in VirtualBox and did the WINE installation (the CodeWeavers/WINE/"native") route. I haven't used many of the features of BW, but one difference I noted is that the navigation arrows in the WINE version in the parallel window seem smaller (and harder to navigate since it's harder to tell which one I'm clicking) than those with the program installed in real the Windows OS.

Battery life: although I'm using a MacBook Pro, it's usually used only as a desktop machine (almost always plugged in), so I don't worry about the battery's time-to-discharge. I'm still deciding which version I'm going to keep long term, since I also have other programs on the Windows side that are essential to my work.

So far I'm rather pleased with the WINE/CodeWeavers/"Native" Mac version. I would say it's a good idea to try it out if you're on a Mac and don't need a virtual machine for anything else.Name:  parallel pane BW9 under WINE.png
Views: 272
Size:  80.3 KBName:  parallel pane BW9 under WinXP.png
Views: 284
Size:  284.3 KB