Thread: 2012 London Olympic Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2012 London Olympic Games

Early word on the street, at least from my sources, is that Usain Bolt has been training like a maniac. He is once again heavily favored to repeat his wins in the 100 and 200, but there's a surprise!

It is also being blurbed that he's going to run on the 4x100 relay as well. If so, this could be the most exciting track relay race in Olympic history.

Y'all be good now.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Since I commented on Phelps and Lochte the other day, and since I compared Phelps to Spitz, and rated Spitz higher, it is only fair that I say now that my respect for Phelps has shot way up. I'll have more to elaborate on regarding this next week after the American Olympic Trials have been completed and we actually know who will be swimming what for the USA.

In the meantime, Phelps has stated he will swim the 400 IM. That is far and away the most grueling race in swimming, and for those who don't know, even though it's only a 400 meter race, it makes a Triathalon feel like a tip-toe through the tulips. And I know what I'm talking about, as I have experience in both.

Phelps won the 400 IM in Athens and Beijing. He is still the WR holder.

IMO, he has exhibited a tremendous amount of courage by entering this event and putting his reputation on the line when he doesn't have to, especially since there are several very capable swimmers of taking him down.

In any event, here's the real kicker - it is CONCEIVABLE - not likely, mind you, but CONCEIVABLE that if Phelps does actually qualify next Monday for the 400 IM, i.e., if he finishes 1st or 2nd in the Trials next Monday, and if he qualifies to swim the other events he's entered to try to swim those events in London, and if he then goes on to win the 400 IM in London, it is is CONCEIVABLE - not likely - but CONCEIVABLE that Phelps could win 7 gold medals this time, one less than the 8 he won in Beijing.

Even if he doesn't win 7, if he wins the 400 IM, it will indicate to me that he's got his heart back, that his head is screwed on straight, and thus he is still likely to win 5 or 6 gold medals, even if he doesn't make to the 7.

But he's got to go through some of the toughest swimmers in the history of the sport to get there, including his good friend and teammate Ryan Lochte.

The conclusion of the Olympic Trials at the end of next week will tells the swimming world a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    In the meantime, Phelps has stated he will swim the 400 IM. That is far and away the most grueling race in swimming, and for those who don't know, even though it's only a 400 meter race, it makes a Triathalon feel like a tip-toe through the tulips. And I know what I'm talking about, as I have experience in both.
    Wow, my hat's off to you, Scott. So you've actually tip-toed through the tulips? You and Tiny Tim, huh? I learn something new every day on these forums!

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Wow, my hat's off to you, Scott. So you've actually tip-toed through the tulips? You and Tiny Tim, huh? I learn something new every day on these forums!
    Yep. It was in Holland one time. There they were, all lined up in fields of rows, and something just moved me to rise up on my toes and start tipping through them!

By the way, since we were talking about Armstrong, I haven't really been following his case, as I said, but I just heard on the news that even though he has never failed a SINGLE drug test, he has nevertheless been banned from the Iron Man Triathalon.

That just don't seem right to me.

Also, when I was comparing swimming's 400 IM to a Triathalon, I was talking about a generic Triathalon, i.e., 1 mile swim, 10K run, etc., not something like the Iron Man.

Was swimming your best sport, Scott? You also did track, right?