Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Master List Of BW Add-ons Created By Users

Red face Raw, unzipped files for Targum Pseudo Jonathan in English

Here's the link to the raw files (unzipped) for the Targum Pseudo Jonathan on the Pentateuch:

http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/pje/
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default World English Bible

Has anyone formatted the World English Bible for use with Bibleworks? It's public domain http://www.ebible.org/web/indexfr.htm

Chuck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    Has anyone formatted the World English Bible for use with Bibleworks? It's public domain http://www.ebible.org/web/indexfr.htm

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,
    I don't think anyone has (at least not to my knowledge). Looking at the website, it looks like the files that are given HERE could easily be converted to BibleWorks format. You would have to add proper book name abbreviations to each line of text, and figure out how to manipulate the notes correctly. Take a look at the help files in BibleWorks on the Version Database Compiler to see what's needed.

Default Will all (or the most helpful) add ons be included in BW 7?

Will all (or at least the most helpful/important) add ons be included in BW 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A.
    Will all (or at least the most helpful/important) add ons be included in BW 7?
    I'm not one of the programmers, but I know that in order to ship a database with BW the database must either provably be in the public domain or else BW has to negotiate the rights from the copyright holder in order to include it, which adds to the cost. If there is a question about the legality of selling a databse, it won't be included in BW7.
    Also there may be a difference of opinion about what is "most helpful/important." BW includes databases that are specifically geared toward Bible study. So in the future you might expect databases, for example, that are cited in Thayer or Bauer-Danker-Arndt-Gingrich, but BW won't ship classical Greek databases or the Ante-Nicene Fathers, or the books of non-Christian religions.
    But which of these databases will be included with BW7 really won't matter much. I'm pretty sure that you will be able to use any of these user databases with BW7 if you can use them with BW6.
    God bless your study of His Word.
    Mark Eddy

Default What I was thinking

Mark,

Thank you for your response. I guess I was thinking that anything available for free from BW users or elsewhere would be available for free inclusion in BW 7. But now that you mention it, I suppose that free material available from non-BW (e.g., on websites) users might not be made available to a software package for sale. But still, I would think anything provided by BW users should be available. The reason why I asked the question in the first place is because it could be time consuming to download and install all the add-ons, even all the ones one might want. It would also be inconvenient to add them on as one found need for them. So I would hope that BW 7 would just automatically include any that would be helpful for Bible study, including original language databases (whether Greek authors, Pseudepigrapha, etc.) and tranlsations. I would think that even Greek authors would be helpful for inclusion for word studies, cultural background etc. My thought is, if it's free, why not add it in? Maybe the best route is to add things on as necessary and hope that as many as possible are included in BW 7.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A.
    I would think anything provided by BW users should be available.... My thought is, if it's free, why not add it in?
    I don't think BibleWorks would want to go down that road, for various reasons:
    • They would need to verify the integrity of each of those databases. I would guess that user generated materials is of an uneven quality.
    • They would need to "edit" for internal and external consistency of book naming and so forth. When it's just the Bible book names, including Apocrypha, and the various lexical and dictionary tools, this stays fairly simple. Once they start adding from the huge corpus of other literature, the potential for naming conflicts grows geometrically.
    • They would need to verify that they could legally include each of them. "Public domain" is probably not a neat and clean concept once you start including it in a commercial program.
    • And finally, it doesn't fit their "mission," which is to provide outstanding Bible research software. Which they do so well under their present philosophy. They don't pretend to be a general indexed text search engine for anything anyone wants indexed and compiled for searching.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Question Brian Beers links...

Hmm...It looks like Brian Beers's links are not working... Just thought it might be nice to have Wesley's commentary...

Thanks,
    Dave

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DJE
    Hmm...It looks like Brian Beers's links are not working... Just thought it might be nice to have Wesley's commentary...
    Yep, yer right. It seems that the site's no longer in existence.

If anyone out there has these files, send them to me. I'll host them on my own web site.

Default Updated lead post

I just updated the running list of BW add ons.

I got rid of some reported dead links, and eliminated links to things that are a part of v. 7 (e.g. Targum Files, etc.)

~Jim