Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BW8 Notes Tab-Cannot find check box for verse or chapter note???

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Thank you, Arggem. Good to know.

If you don't mind, may I ask what is referred to as "the cloud." I hear that term in a lot of tech advertising lately.
    The cloud = any remote server that is accessible by the internet. If something is only available on the cloud that means it's never really on your computer, you're only using it via the internet and if the internet left, so would whatever you're doing. So not having a hard drive and only using the cloud is great just as long as there is internet.

The other side of it is that if it is on the cloud then in theory the files are fair game for anyone out there. Whoever is operating your cloud has access to them and since it's connected to the internet in theory anyone can also access it (this is what hacking is). Obviously there are security measures like encryption and password protection, but it's all part of the conversation of what the cloud entails.
    (The cloud is being pushed as the next "thing" in computing and I'm not really a fan of it, but marketing will make the new market, so it is probably something you'll want to become familiar with.)

But yes, as was said, the Dropbox folder always remains on your computer, but it is mirrored in the cloud so that your other computer can get the same files on it. Or if you're not using a synced computer, you can also access your Dropbox files simply via your web browser.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

The cloud ... a.k.a. somewhere in cyberspace, but not on your local computer.
    Last edited by arggem; 08-08-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: link didn't link..oh...we have an icon to make links. My bad. And finally, what Michael said.

Thanks much to both of you, Michael and Arggem.

Irving

Default Moving BW user files to new install

For moving the various BW user files to a new install (without the could technology discussed above) see:

http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/ikb/ques...?questionid=74

Thanks very much, Greg.