Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simpler version please

Default Oops, I didn't explain very well did I?

I am a long time Bibleworks user and I know that I will get the unlock code as i have for the last few upgrades of other discontinued works.

My point is more of a stab at Zondervan and the other publishers. What if we couldn't read Textus Receptus because the Original King James shipped. What if we couldn't read OKJ when NKJ shipped? That is the point, that is plain and simply dumb in the world of textual studies.

Lester

I suppose that if people wanted a "simpler" version of BibleWorks, they could simply not load all of its features.

You could load what you like, and what you will use, and ignore the rest. It would take up less room on your hard drive. It would also make certain things easier to find (i.e. by not searching through 30 or so English versions for the "1" that you want).

But, you would also have all of the other features ready to load if/when you did want them.

If I ever need to modify it I can and will... otherwise, thanks for a ton of stuff for $359! Now can we get past the press junket and on with the v.9 "Release Party"?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bink View Post
    If I ever need to modify it I can and will... otherwise, thanks for a ton of stuff for $359! Now can we get past the press junket and on with the v.9 "Release Party"?!!!
    I've been having a part for two weeks, where have you been?? I think the BW people know our human nature well enough since they don't plan for these gaps between announcement and release. Isn't time supposed to go faster as you get older?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    I suppose that if people wanted a "simpler" version of BibleWorks, they could simply not load all of its features.

You could load what you like, and what you will use, and ignore the rest. It would take up less room on your hard drive. It would also make certain things easier to find (i.e. by not searching through 30 or so English versions for the "1" that you want).

But, you would also have all of the other features ready to load if/when you did want them.
    Not really. It is true that there is the ability to NOT install some of the unneeded features. But the MINIMUM disk space required has grown with each successive version, and is now up to 1GB.

The system requirements for BibleWorks 8 are:
    - Minimum of 128 MB RAM
    - Minimum of 700 MB hard drive space free (7 GB for full installation)

The system requirements for BibleWorks 9 are:
    - Minimum 512 MB RAM
    - Minimum of 1 GB hard drive space free (15 GB for full install)

For comparison, system requirements for the entire Windows XP operating system is only 1.5 GB.

As I posted previously, the ability to manage this huge footprint is broken. It is for all practical purposes impossible for someone who is not a computer tech to store the large portions of this data across different drives or devices.

For another comparison, the new Logos/Libronix software has the following space requirements:

-Christian Home Library: 385 MB
    -Bible Study Library: 935 MB
    -Leader's Library: 977 MB
    -Original Languages Library: 1.15 GB
    -Scholar's Library: 1.75 GB
    -Scholar's Library: Silver: 2.45 GB
    -Scholar's Library: Gold: 3 GB

The minimum requirements are drastically smaller (less than 1/2) than BW9 until you add large libraries of books and commentaries. Even the largest Libronix package is only 20% the size of a BW9 full install.

The great part about Libronix is that resource files can be located literally anywhere. You can keep frequently accessed files on the local hard drive, and less frequently used material on a USB drive, DVD drive, or network drive. Upon startup the program parses the locations that YOU specified. If they are not there, the program does not terminate with an error message (like BW8), it runs normally and searches whatever resources are available.

When I first purchased BW4, I loved it because it was smaller and faster than Libronix. Libronix was bloated. My how things have changed.

If my complaining here results in a better setup/configuration program, easier and better management of resources, everyone who uses Bibleworks will benefit. As the program grows larger and larger, it just makes sense to do it.

John

The minimum requirements for running Logos 4 on a PC are:
    • Pentium 4 1 GHz (or AMD equivalent- 1.3 GHz or higher)
    • 1 GB RAM (2GB for Windows 7 & Vista)
    • Windows XP SP3
    • DVD drive
    • 12 GB hard drive space on local drive (May require additional space depending on your library).
    • 1024X600 Display
    • 256 MB DirectX 9 graphics device

Here are the download sizes for each of their collections:

Christian Home Library: 450 MB
    Bible Study Library: 4.65 GB
    Leader's Library: 4.68 GB
    Original Languages Library: 3.81 GB
    Scholar's Library: 6.06 GB
    Scholar's Library: Silver: 6.60 GB
    Scholar's Library: Gold: 6.97 GB
    Scholar's Library: Platinum: 7.28 GB
    Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition: 8.05 GB

http://www.logos.com/support/techfaq#size
    Last edited by kennete; 07-09-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Default Still faster

Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    When I first purchased BW4, I loved it because it was smaller and faster than Libronix. Libronix was bloated. My how things have changed.

BibleWorks is still faster than Libronix & Logos4.

I own a license for Libronix/SESB and while I enjoy the syntactical databases and access to the Massorah Gedolah executing queries often takes time, and occasional freezes libronix. I tried upgrading to Logos4, but it has takes up far more RAM than BibleWorks does and L4 slows my PC down. So, yeah BibleWorks takes up more space, but Logos takes up more memory, and time.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default 'splain this to me...

Why does my BW8 folder (in the Program Files (x86) directory) contain 8.53GB worth of material, while my Libronix DLS folder (in the same directory, apparently for both Logos 3 and Logos 4) contains only 2.26GB, yet BW8 is so much faster?

Anyone? Bueller?

What I find amazing Johns is how you can already have a review for BibleWorks 9 on Amazon when you haven't even used it and (apparently?) have no intention of buying it. What I find more amazing is you don't like BibleWorks (apparently?) because they had to take out Robertson's Word Pictures, but you have no problem that the latest version of the other software removed a lot of features and over a year after its latest release still hasn't added them back on.

In terms of space goes, hard drive space has never been cheaper and even on laptops, it's not too difficult to install a new hard drive. A year and a half ago when I bought my new computer a 1 TB hard drive cost $100. By now I'm sure it's closer to 50 or $60. In that light comparing 700MB to 1GB is practically meaningless.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default answers

Hello Eutychus!

Quote Originally Posted by Eutychus View Post
    Thou hast persuadeth me to be a BW 9 user!

happy, to hear that! Bible is the best choice!
    However, anyone who is serious about Sola Scriptura, Ad Fontes. and exegesis will probably be interested in BibleWorks. So, I am betting that you probably already were interested in BibleWorks 9 and did not know it.

Hello Johns,
    Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    ... features that I used are being taken OUT! My favorite resource, A.T. Robertsons Word Pictures was removed
    Well, then I recommend you try Gramcord for windows because (1) it has A.T. Robetsons' word Pictures and (2) It offers much smaller software base packages(The Bonus Package has the 1984 NIV) or you can have it added to any package on the other hand:

If you think Bibleworks looks old you will feel more so about Gramcord because they have not updated their GUI since 1995. And, you will miss out a better and bigger variety of Greek texts as well as English translations.

While Gramcord was the best, BibleWorks is the best especially when it comes to database fidelity, Search Engine capabilities and other exegetical tools. If you can find an error in any one of BWs' text great it will probable be fixed with in the same day you send in the error report. Sometimes with in 30minutes.

However, if I were you I would take up Micheal Handel's offer on creating an HTML user database of the desired works.

Last edited by bkMitchell; 07-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/