Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Link e-Sword

Default External Link e-Sword

My main computer died and so I've had to set up my BW configurations on my other computer. I can get the ELM to open e-Sword, but I can't remember what command I use to make e-Sword open to the verse I'm in in BW. Does anyone know?

This does it for me in terms of opening to the verse I'm studying.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks a bunch, Mark. That is exactly what I was looking for. I was missing the data in the Parameters field.

Default can't yet verse

Mark, I tried your setup as posted. It opens E-Sword for me, but does not go to the verse. Is there anything I might be missing in the parameters field?

Double check that BW is providing the Verse Reference and Bible Verse in the top of the ELM window.

On the parameter line, make sure that it is this:
    -v <book> <chapter>:<verse>

Note: minus before v; spaces before/after the book
    It's possible that not all BW book names have a match in eSword book names...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com

Default E-Sword?

I just took a look at the e-Sword Web site, and I'm wondering what it has that BW lacks, other than being free. I can't find a list of Bible versions that it contains, but I'm wondering what advantage there would be in having both programs.

Thanks!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I still keep e-Sword around for a variety of reasons:
    • Bibles:You can get the Good News and CEV versions which are not available in BW. (Usually, though, I check these by using an external link from BW.)
    • STEP Viewer: I have some older books from back in the day (Parsons) that used the STEP format, notably, HC Kee's Cambridge Annotated Bible. e-Sword has a built-in STEP viewer so I can still use it.
    • Graphics: There are some interesting and useful graphics modules (ABS maps, some art, and some classic atlases)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com

Thanks!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I just took a look at the e-Sword Web site, and I'm wondering what it has that BW lacks, other than being free. I can't find a list of Bible versions that it contains, but I'm wondering what advantage there would be in having both programs.

Thanks!
    If you like commentaries, e-sword has quite a few, including Pulpit Commentary and Biblical Illustrator which were modules created by users. To peruse their modules, you can find them in the downloads section: http://www.biblesupport.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

Thanks!
    To add to Joan's comment, e-Sword has an interface that is suited for viewing commentaries. It just takes one click to go between any of numerous commentaries on one verse. BibleWorks really was not designed for this purpose.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.