Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I've thought of that, but I know if I had the power I might accidentally delete spam that others thought was worthwhile. Some people have much more patience for such things than I do.
    Big deal. The only patience that matters is yours and mine, so I say, let's do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Big deal. The only patience that matters is yours and mine, so I say, let's do it!!!
    Oh you say that now. Just wait until I would start deleting your messages
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Seriously, I'm finding this UI hard to read. I don't know if it's the typeface or the size, but it's a bit straining.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Seriously, I'm finding this UI hard to read. I don't know if it's the typeface or the size, but it's a bit straining.
    At the bottom of the forums there is a pull-down to change styles. Right now the only option is "vB4 default style" One wonders whether we'll be able to edit that and customize it better in the future. It does look like there is still probably some editing the BW staff has to do on their end (such as whether they can make the old BWfonts available in the Editor here or not).
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Hi Folks,

Perhaps Michael Tan will be able to add some more configuration options to the forum layout once he is satisfied that the forum is stable. He has a lot of things going on, so perhaps it will take a little time.

We try to watch the forums to see when spammers attach. Then we delete the forum posts. I try to review the forum Mon - Fri, and generally catch any spam that enters the forum. I'm not perfect at it (and am currently out of the office on an extended leave), but we try to catch them all.

I haven't deleted any of Scott's messages yet. :->

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Well now, that's encouraging!

Somebody could really do the world a service if they could write a program that would automatically back-track a spammer's email address and then, instead of actually receiving the spammer's message, replicate a thousand copies of it and send it back to the spammer himself.

If they could accurately back-track the spammer's original email and ip, now that would be a great program indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Folks,

Perhaps Michael Tan will be able to add some more configuration options to the forum layout once he is satisfied that the forum is stable. He has a lot of things going on, so perhaps it will take a little time.

We try to watch the forums to see when spammers attach. Then we delete the forum posts. I try to review the forum Mon - Fri, and generally catch any spam that enters the forum. I'm not perfect at it (and am currently out of the office on an extended leave), but we try to catch them all.

Blessings,
    There isn't any option for "reporting" posts as spam is there? That'd make it easier so you wouldn't have to hunt for them. You missed a few spam messages by a user named "yypl1986"
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

There is a report function. If this forum works like another vBulletin forum I help administrate, it shows up in a Admin only forum and alerts them.

Trying to attach a screenshot now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Quote Originally Posted by FredGreco View Post
    There is a report function. If this forum works like another vBulletin forum I help administrate, it shows up in a Admin only forum and alerts them.

Trying to attach a screenshot now.
    Genius! Thanks for that alert. I hadn't noticed it!

Though you can only report one post per 60 seconds. So I can't get too carried away
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Genius! Thanks for that alert. I hadn't noticed it!

Though you can only report one post per 60 seconds. So I can't get too carried away
    I guess we'll have to ask the spammers to slow down so that you can keep up with them at the rate of one post per minute.