Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: What happened?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,218

    Default What happened?

    Is it just my system or did BW just implement a new interface to these forums? Not that anybody is soliciting my opinion, but I'm not crazy about this new look. Bring back the Old.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Is it just my system or did BW just implement a new interface to these forums? Not that anybody is soliciting my opinion, but I'm not crazy about this new look. Bring back the Old.
    Against change? Never! I imagine it's something that BW has little control over. vBulletin is the software that they're using for the forums here and it looks like one of the upgrades to vBulletin has changed things up a bit. If the upgrade is better able to eliminate spam-posts, than more power to them! If not, well it's just something different to look at. I can't remember how many times the "look" of this forum has changed since it's been on vBulletin, but this is not the first time. In other words, change is inevitable

    Out of curiosity though, other than change, what don't you like about it?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Against change? Never! I imagine it's something that BW has little control over. vBulletin is the software that they're using for the forums here and it looks like one of the upgrades to vBulletin has changed things up a bit. If the upgrade is better able to eliminate spam-posts, than more power to them! If not, well it's just something different to look at. I can't remember how many times the "look" of this forum has changed since it's been on vBulletin, but this is not the first time. In other words, change is inevitable

    Out of curiosity though, other than change, what don't you like about it?
    Well, excellent question. I suppose all of us are, to a degree, resistant to change. We get comfortable and settled in our old patterns. We get used to doing things in a certain way. So, to be sure, there's a degree to which my expressed reservations are related to change. But, in answer to your question, I think that, to the eye, things are not as nicely laid out as before. It is harder to find things. The visual appeal to the eye is not as nice or easy as it was before.

    So you think we'll have to settle for change when we get to heaven?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Well, excellent question. I suppose all of us are, to a degree, resistant to change. We get comfortable and settled in our old patterns. We get used to doing things in a certain way. So, to be sure, there's a degree to which my expressed reservations are related to change. But, in answer to your question, I think that, to the eye, things are not as nicely laid out as before. It is harder to find things. The visual appeal to the eye is not as nice or easy as it was before.

    So you think we'll have to settle for change when we get to heaven?
    That's funny your criticism is related to the eyes, when I figured the new layout would be more eye-pleasing! So much for objectivity As for change, I take great hope in James 1:17 or maybe Numbers 23:19, but I'm afraid he still has some work to do in me. So yes, I hope there is change -- at least on my end!

    And now see here for a word from one of our fearless leaders.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,081

    Default New Look

    We actually have no control over it. We have to keep the forum software current to avoid security and compatibility problems. The latest update made some UI changes. I actually like them, but our experience has been that no matter what we do some people will love it and some people will hate it. Michael Tan will do some tweaking on the new iinterface but change is a part of life.
    Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default What a surprise

    The new look is definitely a surprise to me. I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate and thought it had something to do with that.

    So far so good.
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

  7. #7

    Default

    Perhaps a possible solution would be to load up a few different themes. There are at least 4-5 that require very little or no modifications.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

    "The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnieize View Post
    i like this new one coz i am new here lol
    Well there goes my theory that newer version would block out spam.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Well there goes my theory that newer version would block out spam.
    It would be nice if there was a way for the BW folks to give one or two regulars here the ability to delete the spams.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    It would be nice if there was a way for the BW folks to give one or two regulars here the ability to delete the spams.
    I've thought of that, but I know if I had the power I might accidentally delete spam that others thought was worthwhile. Some people have much more patience for such things than I do.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •