Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for maqqeph / maqqep / maqqef / maqeph / maqep / maqef

Default Searching for maqqeph / maqqep / maqqef / maqeph / maqep / maqef

Hi,

I am currently trying to search all words with maqqeph / maqqep / maqqef / maqeph / maqep / maqef. First I tried a search with WTM ".*-*", but I only got 259 hits, and forms with more than one maqqeph have not been found (for example 2Sam 15,2).

A search with WTM ".*-*-*" put out a message "cannot be found". The same with WTT.

Any ideas how to get all maqqeph in the Old Testament?

Thanks in advance,

Joker

(NOTE: I have forgotten most of the Hebrew I learned in G-school)

Joker,

It appears the maqqeph is treated as punctuation, not as a character. This may be the problem. The hits you are getting (I got 220) may have more to do with the asterisk character doubling as a particular vowel point in Hebrew searches.

If anyone else has an idea, have at it.

Bob

Default Searching for punctuation

The attached file, Maqqeph.qf, should get you started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

first I would like to thank you kindly for your work! The qf-file is a big help, and I found a lot of maqqeph-verses in the Hebrew Old Testament :-)

Unfortunately I don't understand how this search works. I never tried the graphical search manager, and so I see 4 squares with signs in it, that I can't explore, but the result is really cool. Is there anyone, who can tell me, how this search works?

Again: Thank you for your work.

Joker

Basically, it looks for any two words (the blue boxes with the asterisks) that are separated by a maqqeph (the ordering box). Double-click the ordering box and you'll find that it requires the custom punctuation "-", and that it must be exactly between the two words (no intervening characters or spaces).

If you wanted to make this work for double maqqeph constructions, try the attached query.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To tell you the truth, I don't know why maqqef is tagged as punctuation. It actually functions as part of the accentual system and represents a prosodic clitic. Maqqef should be retagged as a separate accent so that it is searchable in the normal manner.

Regards,
    David.

Thank you again for your answers.

I think, it is okay, to tag the maqqeph as punctuation, because the Masoretes did so. In the Aleppo Codex for example - the oldest codex with punctuation - you can find the maqqeph; in scriptures without punctuation you cannot.

So it is a bit hard to find the maqqeph with a bibleworks-search, but it is right to tag the maqqeph like this. And: Who will ever search this again? 1 in a million per year maybe :-D

Thank you,

Joker

One oddity with the double maqqeph query: it finds TRIPLE maqqephs by treating them as consecutive DOUBLE maqqephs. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Hi,

first I would like to thank you kindly for your work! The qf-file is a big help, and I found a lot of maqqeph-verses in the Hebrew Old Testament :-)

Unfortunately I don't understand how this search works. I never tried the graphical search manager, and so I see 4 squares with signs in it, that I can't explore, but the result is really cool. Is there anyone, who can tell me, how this search works?

Again: Thank you for your work.

Joker

I am always a learner when it comes to BBW, it is just such a large program with so many capabilities. unfortunatly one of the main uses of BBW the GSE or Graphical Search Engine, is one that I have never truly studied at length, however, if there is one thing that I do know, it is that the help guides in BBW are phenomenal, I am looking at the help file for GSE and it looks fairly complete. Some helpful tips also were in the "classroom tips" that they now send out, I believe it was section 1:12 here is a link here.
    I hope that I understood your question correctly.

Peace in Christ,
    Chris.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!