Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BibleWorks Add-In for Microsoft Word

Has there been any new updates to this great add-in? Two problems I've had with it is that there doesn't seem to be an optative button in the ribbon. Also, the the squiggly line for the subjunctive does works in word, but for some reason it will not print with that underline, instead it just prints out as a normal one. Any ideas? If there have been any improvements on this add-in let me know because I think its great!

Default Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMeeks View Post
    Has there been any new updates to this great add-in? Two problems I've had with it is that there doesn't seem to be an optative button in the ribbon. Also, the the squiggly line for the subjunctive does works in word, but for some reason it will not print with that underline, instead it just prints out as a normal one. Any ideas? If there have been any improvements on this add-in let me know because I think its great!
    Sorry, no updates in a long time But to address the two issues:
    • You're right - there's no button for the optative, but Bibleworks does encode optatives. Not sure why I didn't include it Do you have an example of a verse with an optative?
    • Printing of underlines is a Word issue, sorry, not really something that the add-in can control. If it displays squiggly on the screen, that's all it can do You can however modify the styles and change it to something that does print.

God bless,

Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Guyer View Post
    Sorry, no updates in a long time But to address the two issues:
    • You're right - there's no button for the optative, but Bibleworks does encode optatives. Not sure why I didn't include it Do you have an example of a verse with an optative?
    • Printing of underlines is a Word issue, sorry, not really something that the add-in can control. If it displays squiggly on the screen, that's all it can do You can however modify the styles and change it to something that does print.

God bless,

Jon.
    Thanks for the response! Question, do you know if this add-on still works with the new bible works 10 version? Also, could you tell me a little bit about how you made this macro? I'd like to try my hand at it myself. It would be nice to have the Greek text somehow hyper linked so when a mouse is hovered over the word λογος for instance it then displays the parsing for it.

Thanks for the response! Question, do you know if this add-on still works with the new bible works 10 version? Also, could you tell me a little bit about how you made this macro? I'd like to try my hand at it myself. It would be nice to have the Greek text somehow hyper linked so when a mouse is hovered over the word λογος for instance it then displays the parsing for it.
    Hi Daniel, Greek parsing pop-ups are already built in. Under the "Comment" drop-down, just click 'All'. Then when you next choose a passage and click the "Parse" button it will put a comment on every word so the parsing will pop up when the cursor hovers over a word.

But if you really want to tinker, macros in Microsoft Word are just VBA, so hit Alt-F11 and you're magically in the editor. Just expand the GreekTools project and you should be able to browse the source-code. Of course you'll need to know the visual basic programming language... But in terms of access to Bibleworks from VBA, it's just a COM object - you can browse its available functions by hitting F2 within the VBA editor. If Bibleworks doesn't appear in the F2 list of objects, you have to add it via Tools->References and look for the Bibleworks object.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Daniel, Greek parsing pop-ups are already built in. Under the "Comment" drop-down, just click 'All'. Then when you next choose a passage and click the "Parse" button it will put a comment on every word so the parsing will pop up when the cursor hovers over a word.

But if you really want to tinker, macros in Microsoft Word are just VBA, so hit Alt-F11 and you're magically in the editor. Just expand the GreekTools project and you should be able to browse the source-code. Of course you'll need to know the visual basic programming language... But in terms of access to Bibleworks from VBA, it's just a COM object - you can browse its available functions by hitting F2 within the VBA editor. If Bibleworks doesn't appear in the F2 list of objects, you have to add it via Tools->References and look for the Bibleworks object.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon! I have a question though, I've recently upgraded to Bibleworks 10 and the add-on just isn't working like its supposed to. Its not grabbing the verses correctly and the font seems to be wrong. Do you have any plans on bringing this add-on to Bibleworks 10? I'm actually quite disheartened because I've used it almost daily at the university I attend.

Thanks for the info Jon! I have a question though, I've recently upgraded to Bibleworks 10 and the add-on just isn't working like its supposed to. Its not grabbing the verses correctly and the font seems to be wrong. Do you have any plans on bringing this add-on to Bibleworks 10? I'm actually quite disheartened because I've used it almost daily at the university I attend.
    Hi Daniel, sorry to hear that, especially given you've been finding it useful. But not totally surprised it doesn't work with version 10. It was written for version 6 and it's God's grace it still works up to 9 Sadly I can't afford the upgrade to debug and fix for the new version (I'll be sticking with 9).

On the incorrect grabbing of verses, just to make sure - you're not using the macro while BW is in browse mode? That's a known bug (and unfixable). Click the footprint icon to switch to verse-by-verse. Otherwise it will require someone with some VBA skills to debug what's changed in the BW API.

Regarding the font, it's possible you could fix it by just modifying the font "GreekFontGreek" in Microsoft Word (i.e. display the styles dialog, right-click the font and choose "modify"), and change the font from the old one "bwgrkl" to whatever the new font they've replaced it with. If you cut and paste anything directly (manually) from BW to Word you should be able to see what font they're using now.

Hope that helps, and sorry once again.

Jon.

I haven't tried it, but the problem experienced with BW 10 is likely the fact that the default font export is set to Unicode. In the Options settings you can disable the Unicode font export and use the BibleWorks bwgrkl font. I expect that this will fix the problem.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Thumbs up

Hi Daniel, sorry to hear that, especially given you've been finding it useful. But not totally surprised it doesn't work with version 10. It was written for version 6 and it's God's grace it still works up to 9 Sadly I can't afford the upgrade to debug and fix for the new version (I'll be sticking with 9).

On the incorrect grabbing of verses, just to make sure - you're not using the macro while BW is in browse mode? That's a known bug (and unfixable). Click the footprint icon to switch to verse-by-verse. Otherwise it will require someone with some VBA skills to debug what's changed in the BW API.

Regarding the font, it's possible you could fix it by just modifying the font "GreekFontGreek" in Microsoft Word (i.e. display the styles dialog, right-click the font and choose "modify"), and change the font from the old one "bwgrkl" to whatever the new font they've replaced it with. If you cut and paste anything directly (manually) from BW to Word you should be able to see what font they're using now.

Hope that helps, and sorry once again.

Jon.
    Glenn Weaver
    I haven't tried it, but the problem experienced with BW 10 is likely the fact that the default font export is set to Unicode. In the Options settings you can disable the Unicode font export and use the BibleWorks bwgrkl font. I expect that this will fix the problem.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Thanks Jon and Glenn! The Unicode setting was definitely the issue. The only issue left is that the add-in is only grabbing the first verse of the range I'm indicating. For instance, typing in John 1:1-5 results in the add-in only grabbing and parsing verse 1. Everything else seems to be working including the comment system for parsing.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuapaul View Post
    hi, what version are you using now in march 2016 ?
    Hi Joshua, I'm still on BW 9 & Word 2007