Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman View Post
    I'm down because I wasn't asked to beta test, and I've beta'd since v. 4
    Ben, I talked with Glenn and he said the only reason you weren't enlisted for beta testing is that you are (apparently) running on a Mac. There are enough issues with running on a PC that he thought it best to limit testing to PCs so we could rule out emulator problems right off the bat. So it wasn't personal. You have been a loyal supporter for a long time. We really appreciate that. But we had limited slots and went for the approach than minimized extraneous issues as much as possible.

God bless,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Correct. The biggest problem with paper manuals is how quickly they become obsolete - and the amount of manpower needed to maintain them (in addition to online help and other things like tutorial videos). I confess that I like paper manuals myself, but I also have to confess that I never use them. You have to keep in mind that BibleWorks is a small company trying to produce a quality product for a rather small market. It's not easy to do that and stay in business - though God has been gracious and we've been here for 17 years.
    I like to read a manual cover to cover . . . but not on a computer monitor. I understand your reasoning, though. The lack of a paper manual will not keep me from purchasing BW8. In fact, I've already pre-ordered!

Default CD or DVD

Other than number of disks, I don't suppose there's any compelling reason to choose CD or DVD for the upgrade... Like maybe a "Making of BW8" video and interviews with the programmers...

Barbara
    Last edited by BarbMpls; 11-21-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Ben, I talked with Glenn and he said the only reason you weren't enlisted for beta testing is that you are (apparently) running on a Mac. There are enough issues with running on a PC that he thought it best to limit testing to PCs so we could rule out emulator problems right off the bat. So it wasn't personal.
    Mike

Thanks for the note Mike, much appreciated. For the record, I still run BW on my 2002 Dell desktop at home
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BarbMpls View Post
    Other than number of disks, I don't suppose there's any compelling reason to choose CD or DVD for the upgrade... Like maybe a "Making of BW8" video and interviews with the programmers...
    I'd prefer the DVD myself for storage reasons. Seems like plenty of room to put a tour of BW's headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbMpls View Post

Barbara
    There's the longevity issue. DVD is a newer format. I suppose it is unlikely that any DVD drives will ever be produced that don't read CD drives, but you never know. And the more disks, the greater the chance of scratching them. There are 5 CDs or 1 DVD. BW9 will probably be available only on DVD, but that's a long ways off.

Default Thanks

Thanks Ben. I'll make sure Glenn knows that. We could have used you. But I understand his reasoning.
    Mike

... BW9 will probably be available only on DVD, but that's a long ways off.
    /me begins pleading earnestly in advance to be on the beta-9 team

There's the longevity issue. DVD is a newer format.
    Plus, with the DVD, I can use BW on my television!!!

It wasn't in there but I will add it now to avoid the complaint
    Hallelujah! While you're in there, I don't suppose you'd consider the long-requested keyboard shortcut for the "Back" and "Forward" buttons?