Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Users: Wine 1.0

Default Linux Users: Wine 1.0

Greetings!

In case you didn't know already, Linux users, Wine 1.0 has finally been released! woohoo! This is an exciting moment. I just opened up my Bibleworks wine install (in Ubuntu 8.04) and the text editor works now. It never worked before, but now it works. Fantastic.

I hope this is just one improvement of many to come as wine continues to improve. Just an encouragement to those who are afraid of the move to Linux and are tied to Windows by Bibleworks. There are alternatives...

Matt, could you please post a couple images showing that BW 7 looks like with Wine+Ubuntu. Thank you!!

Default DLLs that BibleWorks uses

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone had already taken the time to look into what DLLs BibleWorks makes use of? Perhaps we could get better results under Wine if we substituted some Microsoft DLLs in place of the Wine code. Then we could all get better results running BW under Wine and also give the Wine coders a heads up on what needs to be wrangled to get BW working better without native MS DLL code.

Perhaps one of you dual boot folks might find this an interesting project. I have pretty much gone total Linux and BSD here.

Mike

I'm thinking of buying BW 7, and operate with Ubuntu 8.04 with Wine. How good is BW 7 under wine? How buggy is it? Does it often crash ...

Quote Originally Posted by deut3221 View Post
    Matt, could you please post a couple images showing that BW 7 looks like with Wine+Ubuntu. Thank you!!
    Here are a few:

Last edited by hudsonhauck; 06-23-2008 at 05:32 AM.

And some cool eye candy...

Last edited by hudsonhauck; 06-23-2008 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danymullos View Post
    I'm thinking of buying BW 7, and operate with Ubuntu 8.04 with Wine. How good is BW 7 under wine? How buggy is it? Does it often crash ...
    It does not regularly crash. I use it on a regular (daily) basis, and it hardly ever crashes. The one thing is that the HTML help files do not work so well. Whenever I open up something like Wallace's grammar (or another HTML help file), they crash the program every time they are closed. So I avoid those, or at least I avoid doing too much with them.

Other than that (not insignificant) problem, I haven't hit any others consistently enough to remember them.

Wow, thank you Matt, thank you!

Question: the toolbar is missing in all of the images. Is this intentional? (It's hard to tell, but in the 3D shot, the toolbar may be showing in the RHS of the cube?)

Finally, any ideas why BW crashes with HTML? Hmmm…

Thanks again Matt!

-steve.

PS Nice use of the diagramming tool. Seems as if I forgot that as I was learning it

Thanks heaps Matt for the info and for the screenshots. I think I'll go ahead and get it, Danny

Question: the toolbar is missing in all of the images. Is this intentional? (It's hard to tell, but in the 3D shot, the toolbar may be showing in the RHS of the cube?)
    The toolbar is indeed missing in every shot. This is a known wine bug for BW7. I think it might not happen in earlier versions of BW, but I can't verify that. Even though the toolbar is nice to have, you can also live without it because BW has about 3 ways of accessing just about everything: toolbar, context menu, or the top menus. We are still left with two options.

Finally, any ideas why BW crashes with HTML? Hmmm…
    To clarify, it is not HTML that makes it crash, it is the Microsoft html help files (.chm). But I don't know why. This bug is bugging me the most probably, as I would like to be able to use Robertson's grammar and the like without it crashing my Bibleworks...

Anybody else have any hints here?

PS Nice use of the diagramming tool. Seems as if I forgot that as I was learning it
    Just to be clear, I didn't actually make the diagram shown in the diagramming module. Those are the ones provided by BW done by a man named Leedy. But yes, they are very useful! =)