Thread: New Module - Aleppo Codex Index

Smile New Module - Aleppo Codex Index

For some time now, images of the Aleppo Codex (כתר ארם־צובה) have been available online. The website is very well done, with access to high resolution photos of all existing pages of this valuable witness to the Masoretic text. Now, thanks to Pasquale Amicarelli, BibleWorks users can access these photos from their Resource Summary Window with a new CHM module. Users MUST have an active internet connection to access to each photograph. Keep in mind that the text is not complete, as the Wikipedia entry mentions:
    [The b]eginning and end of the manuscript are missing, as well as some pages in between. The current text starts with the last word of Deuteronomy 28:17 (ומשארתך, "and your kneading trough"). After that, the books Joshua, Judges, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Zechariah, Malachi, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Psalms, Job, Proverbs, Ruth, Song of Songs follow. The last leaf ends with בנות ציון in Song of Songs 3:11 ("come out, you daughters of Zion...") The missing parts are the end of the Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, Esther, Daniel and Ezra/Nehemiah.
    The Bible-Researcher website has an excellent introduction to the Aleppo Codex. See also the Wikipedia article.

DOWNLOAD!
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Newly Edited Aleppo Codex Index User Module

The original site of the Aleppo Codex has gone 404, but now redirects to higher resolution photographs (some few of which are missing) taken by the owner of the new site. With that in mind, I have taken it upon myself to edit the Aleppo Codex Index to include images directly in the file, and with a link to the new website of the one who took the high resolution photos, for even higher resolution images. By doing as I have, a live Internet connection no longer is required to use the Index. I filled in the missing images with medium resolution scans of the manuscript pages, as found in the Facsimile Edition. This has enlarged the file quite a bit, as can be imagined. It is now at about 319 MBytes in size. I don't expect it to grow too much more in size. I have maintained the original author credits in the Index, and added myself as editor.

I also have corrected various errors in a number of the links (and finally just replaced the links to the defunct website with internal links when I realized that some images also are missing at the new website), and restored missing index content, as well as re-correlated the verse number links to extant content. I also have provided additional links to three images, two of which point to photographs of portions now lost, and one which points to fragments that some years ago have been returned, and have indexed the chapters and verses of said newly added content. I'm just about finished with the edits. Just finalizing the JavaScript-based link behaviors and doing final formatting on some of the links that didn't display correctly after editing, and have added a functionality to be able to change the font sizes of displayed text in the Index. Still a bit of cleanup work to do with respect to a number of changes to the Index, as well as one more helpful feature I have to figure out how to get working consistently.

I'll let people know here when the work actually is completed. In the meantime, if anyone knows of a good place to upload the file when completed, let me know here. (The site it and a number of other user modules originally lived at now also is gone.)