Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Search Steps?

Default How many Search Steps?

Just for the fun of it . . .

Cruising through an Accordance blog (mea culpa!), someone claimed that it took Logos 47 steps and Accordance 27 steps to construct the following search:

"all instances in the Pastoral epistles of the Greek adjective kalos within three words of a noun which agrees with it in number and case"

I'm curious to how many steps this search could be reduced (irreducible necessity!) in BW?

BW geeks, ready for the Olympics?

Ingo

Default Depends on what you mean by steps...

Quote Originally Posted by ingosorke
    Just for the fun of it . . .

Cruising through an Accordance blog (mea culpa!), someone claimed that it took Logos 47 steps and Accordance 27 steps to construct the following search:

"all instances in the Pastoral epistles of the Greek adjective kalos within three words of a noun which agrees with it in number and case"

I'm curious to how many steps this search could be reduced (irreducible necessity!) in BW?

BW geeks, ready for the Olympics?

Ingo
    If you already have a Custom Search Limit set for the Pastoral Epistles (which I do, in my case called pastoral) and if you count one command line sequence as one step then this can be done in 2 steps:

On the command line type:

Step #1: l pastoral (that is a lower case L) <enter>

Step #2: ('kalos =cn *3 *@n*)/('*@n* *3 kalos =cn) <enter>

Last edited by Joe Fleener; 02-24-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Yeap. BW. Gold Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    If you already have a Custom Search Limit set for the Pastoral Epistles (which I do, in my case called pastoral) and if you count one command line sequence as one step then this can be done in 2 steps:

On the command line type:

Step #1: l pastoral (that is a lower case L) <enter>

Step #2: ('kalos =cn *3 *@n*).('*@n* *3 kalos =cn) <enter>
    Even if you don't have a custom search limit for the pastorals, this is a two-step operation.
    1: l 1ti-tit +enter (lower case L means "limit")
    2) 'kalos =cn *3 *@n* +enter (c means "case" n means "number")

I don't see the need for the last search in parentheses. When I used Joe's search I got 3 hits. Using my simpler search I got 12 hits, all of which seem to qualify.
    Perhaps Joe meant to make an "or" search, substituting / for . between the two parenthetical phrases.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy

I don't see the need for the last search in parentheses. When I used Joe's search I got 3 hits. Using my simpler search I got 12 hits, all of which seem to qualify.
    Perhaps Joe meant to make an "or" search, substituting / for . between the two parenthetical phrases.
    Mark Eddy
    Oops. Yes I did mean the / for a OR search

With only one set of () or a single search as Mark had it will only find those instances where kalos preceeds the noun, since this is a phrase search.

I thought the criteria was for kalos to be within 3 words of the noun, so kalos could be before or after the noun, but must be within 3 words. Hense the second set of ().
    Joe Fleener

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

Joe, Mark, which search version are you using? I can't duplicate either search. I'm missing a step (no pun . . .)
    In BNM, for example, the command line continues in Greek font. I can't even type in the examples in the Online Help section. Yes, my computer is plugged in.
    Last edited by ingosorke; 02-24-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Joe, Mark, which search version are you using? I can't duplicate either search. I'm missing a step (no pun . . .)
    In BNM, for example, the command line continues in Greek font. I can't even type in the examples in the Online Help section. Yes, my computer is plugged in.
    It should work for any Greek Morphology Version...

Notice there is no command line parameter outline the first opening ( on my example. (i.e. no ' . or /)

However, if you are able to get Marks to work either I am not sure.

Did you try just copying and pasting them from here.
    Joe Fleener

Also, you can always click on the BibleWorks Keyboard button (the alpha with a gray background), and press the keys that you need, in the language of your choice, on the keyboard that pops up.

Best,

Rubn Gmez
    Rubn Gmez

Hm, copy/paste doesn't do the trick, nor does typing it through the BW keyboard. Greek fonts show up in Arial in the command line.

I'll wait and see how BW7 handles it.

Hm, copy/paste doesn't to the trick, nor does typing it through the BW keyboard (Greek fonts don't show up Greek in the command line). I'll wait and see how the actual BW7 handles it when I get it.