Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Bible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chinese Bible?

What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan

Default Chinese Bible

Hi John,

I saw your post about a Chinese Bible in Bibleworks.

If you have an immediate need, you might want to check out E-Sword at www.e-sword.net. They have the Chinese Union Version in both traditional and simplified versions, and the program and Bibles are free!

I use both Bibleworks and E-sword regularly. They both have their strengths and weeknesses and complement each other nicely.

In Christ Jesus,
    Brad P
    daddy to Maelee (3, Anhui province) and Lilli (2, Jiangsu province)

Quote Originally Posted by jhkchan
    What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan
    Do you mean that? (Pls see the attached jpeg)
    You can do that by using the command-- "tools/version database compiler", even you can create your own version of bible!(especially if you are good at Greek and Hebrew )!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shiukl; 11-05-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Default Chinese Bible

Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY

Quote Originally Posted by lyoung
    Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY
    It is not that hard. BW6 User Manual Section 8.1 "Compiling Version Databases" describes the 3-step procedure.

There are many sites which offer free download of bibles-including the CUV. Try this one for a starter: http://www.o-bible.com/

You can download the CUV (both traditional and simplified chinese characters are available). Once you have downloaded the .txt file, make sure the format is in accordance with the requirements. If necessary, use Word or Wordpad to do any editing.

When you create the DDF file, there is no "Chinese" for you to choose under the Language tab. But, "Other" should do the job.
    Last edited by shalommatt; 11-22-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Default upload please

Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by fadetheway
    Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.

Sam
    If this translation is in the public domain, you can send the cuv.txt and cuv.ddf files to Jim Darlack to put on the list of user databases (sticky thread near the top of the threads). Then people wouldn't all have to go through the work of independently "editing" this to become BW compatible. I might even be interested in looking at it, since I have a daughter who has studied Mandarin. I'm assuming this is a Mandarin version.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 03-01-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Default Chinese Union Version Bibles for BibleWorks 7 (Traditional & Simplified)

Here is the Chinese Union Bible for BibleWorks 7 in a self-executable.

[removed due to copyright issues]

Downloading: If you are not familiar with free file hosting services, you need to wait about 30-60 seconds before receiving a downloading ticket which will then allow you to click to another page where you can download the actual file for free. You do *not* have to purchase the premium file service to download this file.
    Installation: Just open the file and click install. That's it.

NOTE: BIBLEWORKS 7 DOES NOT SUPPORT A SEARCH FUNCTION WITH CHINESE OR ANY OTHER UNICODE LANGUAGE. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT THIS. This topic has also been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

FYI, this is the "Original" Chinese Bible Version (like a "King James Version" of China). There are two books that will be installed: the traditional Chinese version and simplified Chinese version. However, if anybody has a text version of any of the other Chinese Bible Versions that they would like to import into BibleWorks, just email me and I can try to help you out.

Thanks,

Robin

Last edited by admin; 07-17-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Default Unable to read

Thanks Robin, I compelled the file successfully, but I wasn't able to read them because it display symbols rather than Chinese character.

I read Chinese character on my pc everyday and shouldn't have difficulites reading Chinese character.

Does anyone knows how to convert those symbols back to Chinese character.

Look forward to hear anyone soon!

Default Chinese Encoding

Hi there,

Are you using Chinese Windows or English Windows with Chinese Encoding enabled? For English Windows, there are 5 different Chinese Encodings that you can set Windows to display:

- Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
    - Chinese (Macau S.A.R.)
    - Chinese (PRC)
    - Chinese (Singapore)
    - Chinese (Taiwan)

So far, I have only tested with Chinese (PRC) and both Traditional & Simplified Chinese Versions appear correctly. Do you know which encoding you have set Windows to display? You can check by clicking on:

START Menu --> CONTROL PANEL --> REGIONAL & LANGUAGE OPTIONS SETTINGS and click on the top tab called ADVANCED. The first drop-down box will tell you which language is currently selected to match non-Unicode programs.
    Last edited by song_robin; 06-26-2006 at 02:10 PM.
    Robin Song, M.Div
    Andrews University Theological Seminary
    Berrien Springs, MI