PDA

View Full Version : Working Catalina solution for the impatient

Fantomas
11-25-2019, 05:44 AM
Hi all,

as CodeWeavers CrossOver 19 is in the Beta phase and as far as I know, everything works, I'd like to start this thread to help others make this work.

1. You need to get your hands on the Beta version of CrossOver. To do this, register at https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/beta as a Beta tester. It's a simple procedure, you shouldn't have to pay anything. First you need to sign up as a new user and then become a beta tester. Then you can download the beta, it's one zip file, which you simply unpack into the Applications folder.

2. After you run the program, you will probably need to log into your CodeWeavers account to make it work.

3. Then you need to install BibleWorks 10. If you're not sure, how to do it, look here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/alistedapp
As there is no preset, you can use one for the previous version, just direct the installer to the installation file in the connected ISO of the install DVD. The important thing is: don"t use 64-bit bottles. I tested the Windows 7 (32-bit) bottle and everything runs just fine.

4. If someone needs the Central European language version, let me know. You just need to install and use an ANSI CP1250 font file, but they're not exactly lying around the internet, so I had to prepare my own.

Some final remarks:

If you have a problem getting the Beta version, I can send the file. I just don't want to go round CodeWeavers' back right away.
If you see any bug in the Beta, please report it to CodeWeavers. Not just in BW, of course. You will help also other people by doing that.
Eventually, the Beta will stop working. Then you will have to pay for the program or use other solution to get the full version (there is even a legal solution to do it for free).
This new version of CrossOver will eventually come out as a new version of Wine. As far as I know, there is no timeline yet, but I don't think CodeWeavers will rush to do this, for business reasons. But it will happen. So you can just wait.
If you have further questions, just ask. Good luck :)

jfidel
11-26-2019, 11:39 AM
In addition to the above, WordSearch uses the same company to provide access to their windows program on a mac. They are indicating that it will be another 4-5 weeks before their program will be Catalina compliant. Probably the time the beta program goes gold.

driessencsb
11-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Thank you for this info! I am still in Mojave because I don't want to lose access to my BW. So can I sign up for Beta testing for Crossover, set it up and THEN upgrade to Catalina, or do I have to first upgrade to Catalina? Christine

Fantomas
11-26-2019, 07:12 PM
Thank you for this info! I am still in Mojave because I don't want to lose access to my BW. So can I sign up for Beta testing for Crossover, set it up and THEN upgrade to Catalina, or do I have to first upgrade to Catalina? Christine

Hi Christine,
it doesn't really matter in what order you do this. The Beta comes in a zip file, which you simply unpack into the Application folder or any other desired location. I upgraded first, then I was able to install an older version of CrossOver anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue.
Cheers, Jiř.

driessencsb
12-04-2019, 02:25 PM
I thought crossover was designed to allow windows versions to work on a Mac, but I have a Mac version of BW10 that I want to make work with Catalina. Will crossover work with Mac programs which don't have the 64bit or whatever it is that is missing?

Fantomas
12-04-2019, 07:10 PM
I thought crossover was designed to allow windows versions to work on a Mac, but I have a Mac version of BW10 that I want to make work with Catalina. Will crossover work with Mac programs which don't have the 64bit or whatever it is that is missing?

Exactly. CrossOver is an interface for windows programs to run on Mac. You don't actually have a Mac version of BW10 as nothing like this has ever existed, you have a windows version of BW10 in a standalone CrossOver bottle, however the older CrossOver version used there doesn't work on Catalina. I asked Mike if they plan to update this Mac distribution once a functional CrossOver distribution becomes available, but he hasn't responded yet...

No, CrossOver will most definitely not work with any Mac program, be it 32-bit or PowerPC. It is just a windows interface for Mac, which is designed to run windows programs "natively" on mac without the need of a virtual machine and an extra windows installation.

Mad Dog
12-08-2019, 01:07 AM
Exactly. CrossOver is an interface for windows programs to run on Mac. You don't actually have a Mac version of BW10 as nothing like this has ever existed, you have a windows version of BW10 in a standalone CrossOver bottle, however the older CrossOver version used there doesn't work on Catalina. I asked Mike if they plan to update this Mac distribution once a functional CrossOver distribution becomes available, but he hasn't responded yet...

No, CrossOver will most definitely not work with any Mac program, be it 32-bit or PowerPC. It is just a windows interface for Mac, which is designed to run windows programs "natively" on mac without the need of a virtual machine and an extra windows installation.

I tried and it fails.

I tried it using the Bibleworks 10 ISO - Failed.

I tried again and it failed again - giving a different error message.

I tried it using lBW9 - it installed Windows explorer - but it failed to install BW9 as there was no application for it in my Mac (I had previously upgraded to BW10).

I tried again using BW10 ISO and fails

Had you previously installed BW10, as I had done?

Mad Dog
12-08-2019, 01:28 AM
I tried and it fails.

I tried it using lBW9 - it installed Windows explorer - but it failed to install BW9 as there was no application for it in my Mac (I had previously upgraded to BW10).

Well - suddenly its working. But by a different process. Somehow BW10DVD1 appeared in my Finder. I then double clicked on setup.exe and away it went ... reinstalling it from the BW site.

Now to restart my Mac and see what happens (fingers crossed)

now john
12-08-2019, 01:33 AM
Glad you got it to work. Just FYI, sometimes trying to install BW10 from a mounted ISO also fails on Windows10. If you can extract the ISO to a folder, it might work from there. You might want to run BWCheckDisc.exe in the extracted folder and check the integrity of the download and the extraction. If it is good, run setup.exe as usual.

Fantomas
12-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Well - suddenly its working. But by a different process. Somehow BW10DVD1 appeared in my Finder. I then double clicked on setup.exe and away it went ... reinstalling it from the BW site.

Now to restart my Mac and see what happens (fingers crossed)

Glad you got it running! As there is no CrossTie for BW10 (yet), you need to point CrossOver to the installer (setup.exe from the installation DVD image). But you know this now :)
Actually, what you did is probably a simpler solution, but only as long as you already have a right bottle.

Vic Copan
12-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Hi all,
You need to get your hands on the Beta version of CrossOver. To do this, register at https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/beta as a Beta tester. It's a simple procedure, you shouldn't have to pay anything. First you need to sign up as a new user and then become a beta tester. Then you can download the beta, it's one zip file, which you simply unpack into the Applications folder.

When I went through the install process for the Beta version, it gave me a popup window with the message: "This is a time limited trial version of CrossOver. It will stop working in 14 days." Is that the case with a BetaVersion? I don't want to go through the hassle of installing it and then having to pay $59 per year until Jesus comes back. (This is the price of the Crossover 18 version).

Fantomas
12-08-2019, 06:09 PM
They want to release the final version of CrossOver 19 this week, so maybe that's why you saw this message.
You have several options:

You don't really need the subscription. You can buy just one version. This option is currently not available, but I guess this will soon change.
There are quite frequently discounts. So you may get it cheaper than $60.
Although I don't encourage you to do this, sooner or later this CrossOver 19 will be available from pirates, so full version for free. As I said, I don't encourage anyone to do this as I think people should be payed for good work. Yet it could be an option for someone.
Also in like 2 years, there will be a new version of wine, which will solve this problem in a different way. And it will be free.

driessencsb
12-09-2019, 07:18 PM
I downloaded the Crossover Beta3 and then used it try to install my BW10 on my MacBook Air with Catalina OS. First it asked me which program I wanted to install: Bible Works (Legacy) or Bible Works 9. Legacy is for 8 or earlier. So I wrote in BibleWorks 10 and it said it would have to do a special installation. I proceeded and the blue line froze half way across and stayed there for a couple of hours. I wrote them, and the they said I should close it out for now. However, even after closing out Crossover, I cannot eject my BW jump drive. It keeps saying it is still in use and if I force eject it, it could mess up the info on the jump drive! Now what do I do?

driessencsb
12-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Is it possible that my jump drive is BW9 and then when BW10 came out, they simply had me upgrade it with an online download, so that I could try installing it as a BW9? Does anybody know?

Although I have purchased Accordance, it is so different that I don't have time to learn it right now and want to keep using my BW.

now john
12-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Is it possible that my jump drive is BW9 and then when BW10 came out, they simply had me upgrade it with an online download, so that I could try installing it as a BW9? Does anybody know?

Although I have purchased Accordance, it is so different that I don't have time to learn it right now and want to keep using my BW.

You can tell what version you have by checking the activation codes. BW90- and the rest of the code for BW9, BW10- and the rest of it for BW10.

Fantomas
12-10-2019, 08:23 AM
I downloaded the Crossover Beta3 and then used it try to install my BW10 on my MacBook Air with Catalina OS. First it asked me which program I wanted to install: Bible Works (Legacy) or Bible Works 9. Legacy is for 8 or earlier. So I wrote in BibleWorks 10 and it said it would have to do a special installation. I proceeded and the blue line froze half way across and stayed there for a couple of hours. I wrote them, and the they said I should close it out for now. However, even after closing out Crossover, I cannot eject my BW jump drive. It keeps saying it is still in use and if I force eject it, it could mess up the info on the jump drive! Now what do I do?

You really need to connect the BW10 DVD and specify the installation file (I think it's setup.exe on the DVD, as usual). Otherwise it will just fail, as you have seen.

You can also just create a new 32-bit bottle and then run the installation file manually, as someone here suggested.

And to eject, you can either just ignore it, it's no big deal, or restart the computer, then it will disconnect automatically. And without any adverse effects.

Fantomas
12-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Just download the DVD here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezWBG4dQRMJxd3EvDbOPuicPdHUb18kB

It is quite a bulky download, but it might solve your problems. Otherwise you could just use the BW9 installer and then try the online upgrade. If it works...

driessencsb
12-10-2019, 10:10 PM
If you guys were writing in ancient Hebrew, it would be no harder to understand than the computer language you are using in English! (I don't speak Hebrew!).

Someone wrote: "connect to BW10 DVD and specify the installation file (I think it's setup.exe on the DVD, as usual). Otherwise it will just fail, as you have seen. You can also just create a new 32-bit bottle and then run the installation file manually, as someone here suggested."

I have a BW10 jump drive, so how do I connect to a BW10 DVD? If I see those words appear, do I then click on it and look for "setup.exe" and click on that? What is a bottle? (As you can see, I have no idea what I am doing!). And how does one creat a new 32-bit bottle?

The gentleman who is helping me at CodeWeavers (Jeremy) suggested I do this: "download the 'BW10_rev7.iso' ". What is that and how do I download it or where do I find it?

Thank you! Christine

driessencsb
12-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Hi Fantomas,

When you say, "Just download the DVD here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezW...OPuicPdHUb18kB (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezWBG4dQRMJxd3EvDbOPuicPdHUb18kB)

Are you talking about the same thing as: BW10 DVD

now john
12-10-2019, 10:34 PM
The gentleman who is helping me at CodeWeavers (Jeremy) suggested I do this: "download the 'BW10_rev7.iso' ". What is that and how do I download it or where do I find it?

Thank you! Christine

Click on the link below. On the page that appears click on the download button in the center of the page. The file is very big. It may take hours to download. After you get it downloaded perhaps you can talk to Jeremy again and he can help you use that file to install BW.

Fantomas
12-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Hi Fantomas,

When you say, "Just download the DVD here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezW...OPuicPdHUb18kB (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezWBG4dQRMJxd3EvDbOPuicPdHUb18kB)

Are you talking about the same thing as: BW10 DVD

Yes exactly. You can download the ISO file, which is a bit copy of the BW10 DVD, or rather the jump drive that you keep referring to.

The thing is that I suppose some degree of computer literacy. From the Mac OS system point of view, it is completely irrelevant, whether you connect a physical DVD drive, physical flash (jump) drive of an ISO/IMG/DMG file. So that's why I didn't even mention this too, because it doesn't matter at all, you just need to connect it, whatever you have. However, if I'm too optimistic, don't feel bad, just ask.

driessencsb
12-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Thank you, John, for that link to download BW10 :

Click on the link below. On the page that appears click on the download button in the center of the page. The file is very big. It may take hours to download. After you get it downloaded perhaps you can talk to Jeremy again and he can help you use that file to install BW.

But when I click on it, it says there are too many people using it and I may have to wait 24 hours before it is free to download! I guess I'll just have to keep trying every so often! I really appreciate your help!

driessencsb
12-11-2019, 11:04 AM
And thank you, Fantomas, for explaining all this! I'll just keep working on it! Learning lots! That's for sure.

Another gentleman from Codeweavers, Ryan, has found a way to install the BW10 using Windows install rather than the 64-bit Mac version, and he got all the way to the activation page. So now I have to try it!

Just so you gentlemen know, I am pretty clueless on all of this. Is my jump drive a 64-bit Mac version or a windows version? I'm still waiting to download the BW10 (it says it is tied up for a while!) which hopefully is a windows install. Perhaps I am missing something here! You all are so patient!

Thank you everyone! Christine

driessencsb
12-11-2019, 11:11 AM
No preview available

Download

Connect more apps...

Try one of the apps below to open or edit this item
Suggested third-party apps

CloudConvert

Copy, URL to Google Drive

Direct Link Creator (Share, UnShare)

driessencsb
12-11-2019, 11:15 AM
I tried to copy the message I get, but it did not copy. It says:

No preview available .

Download . Connect more apps

Try one of the apps below
Cloudconvert
Copy URL to Google Drive
Direct Link Creator Share unshare

When I click on Download, it brings up the message that there are too many users downloading or viewing this at this time.

So should I just keep waiting?

now john
12-11-2019, 11:39 AM
And thank you, Fantomas, for explaining all this! I'll just keep working on it! Learning lots! That's for sure.

Another gentleman from Codeweavers, Ryan, has found a way to install the BW10 using Windows install rather than the 64-bit Mac version, and he got all the way to the activation page. So now I have to try it!

Just so you gentlemen know, I am pretty clueless on all of this. Is my jump drive a 64-bit Mac version or a windows version? I'm still waiting to download the BW10 (it says it is tied up for a while!) which hopefully is a windows install. Perhaps I am missing something here! You all are so patient!

Just keep clicking on the Download button. When it works you may get a second window about viruses. Click on download again (or it may be Continue, I don't remember). It seems to go in and out of availability somewhat randomly. So far it has always become available again. But be prepared to let your computer run a long time after it does finally begin the download. Make sure that you have enough free space on your computer for the installed BW folder, for Crossover, and for the ISO. That could be more than 50 Gigabytes. It is possible to download the ISO to a thumb drive if you don't have that much room on the drive that is in your computer now.

There is only one file that should be used now to install BW10. It is the ISO that you are trying to download.
The ISO can be used directly on Windows to install BW.
There used to be two helper programs that allowed the ISO be installed on Macs. They no can longer install a working copy of BW on newer versions of Macs.
A Mac BW version, in some sense, has never existed.

Your jump drive contains an older version of the BW installer. It should not be used for installation now. Only the downloaded ISO should be used.

There are three main choices now. All use the ISO.
BW may be directly installed on a Windows computer.

BW may be directly installed to a copy of Windows that can run on a Mac. A Mac program is used to run Windows on a Mac computer. When this happens the Mac runs its normal programs and the additional Mac program that runs Windows. BW can then be used directly in that program just as though it was running on a real computer. The program simulates a running computer. One of the names for that program is a virtual machine.

BW can also be installed on a Mac so that it can run with CrossOver or another program like it. A copy of Windows is not needed. Crossover is a program that is like an interpreter. It knows how to listen to BW and then tell the Mac OS what to do, and hopefully the Mac understands and does what is has been told to do and BW can run.

See this link if you are curious how CrossOver runs programs. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/bottlesintro

Fantomas
12-12-2019, 06:29 AM

You're welcome, Christine :)

Were you able to install BW10 from the ISO file?

If not, I exported a CrossOver bottle which contains only BibleWorks 10 in the latest version. You just need to open it, import it and then, when you run BibleWorks, you need to enter your activation code. It's just a basic version without other languages (only Hebrew, Greek, Latin and English) and without the manuscripts. It's still a 2 GB file, so it will take a while to download. You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80sx5d3piraqfyw/BibleWorks-10.cxarchive?dl=0

After you get it running, you should be able to install other things you need from the jump drive or the ISO of the BW10 DVD. I checked, it works.

To your other question: the jump drive is probably both: Windows as well as Mac version. It uses the same files in the end. However the Mac part doesn't work on Catilina, therefore you need to use CrossOver and the Windows part of the drive. In other words, just run the setup.exe file.

So good luck and if you need to clear something out, just ask.

jfidel
12-12-2019, 08:19 AM
This is a very inventive solution! Just so I am clear, I would need the CodeWeaver license to make this work and then download the basic BW10 file, open it and run the ISO to bring in the additional resources?

now john
12-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Since a new version of CodeWeavers CrossOver Mac is being released they are having a 40% off sale.
There is also a free trial available.
One year version. Normally $59.95 now $35.97
One version. Normally $39.95 now $23.97
One LifeTime $499.95
There is a discount coupon on the home page. It expires December 17, 2019.

This if from the BW home page.

We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer.

This may be the best solution for a Mac.

now john
12-12-2019, 11:04 AM
This is a very inventive solution! Just so I am clear, I would need the CodeWeaver license to make this work and then download the basic BW10 file, open it and run the ISO to bring in the additional resources?

It is not quite that simple. This gives some basic information: See this link if you are curious how CrossOver runs programs. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...c/bottlesintro (https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/bottlesintro)

Hopefully after things get settled down someone will write out a carefully written, step by step procedure. The update has only recently come out of beta and still has some rough edges.

Fantomas
12-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Actually it's not that inventive, it's just a currently accessible version of the solution that BibleWorks have already used. But thanks anyway :)

To answer your question: yes, for this to work, you need to get the CrossOver for Mac software. The legal version is cheap enough, yet I was surprised, how fast the pirates from TNT were. However for the good work, I'm sure that CodeWeavers deserve their money.

Then you either install the BW10 for Windows from the ISO, or you can just download and import the exported bottle from my link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/80sx5d3piraqfyw/BibleWorks-10.cxarchive?dl=0) above. Most people won't need to install anything on top of that, but it's quite easy to do, you just run the setup.exe file from the BW10 DVD image in the BibleWorks 10 bottle. All you really need is the BW10 activation code.

Fantomas
12-12-2019, 12:51 PM
It is not quite that simple. This gives some basic information: See this link if you are curious how CrossOver runs programs. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...c/bottlesintro (https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/bottlesintro)

Hopefully after things get settled down someone will write out a carefully written, step by step procedure. The update has only recently come out of beta and still has some rough edges.

I will be happy to write a better step by step procedure, however I obviously cannot do it alone as I don't know the computer literacy level of people coming here. And for me, it's on the spoon-feeding level for very inexperienced users, but the truth is, I cannot see things through there eyes anymore... So if you have some suggestions, I'll be happy to correct it.

The current version CrossOver is much better than the one used as a basis for the "Mac" distribution of BW10. Since Beta 1, I didn't have any substantial problems, I can change default fonts, no crashes... Of course, there is the font anti-aliasing issue that nobody wants to talk about, but otherwise, it seems fine. Are there any other rough edges you had in mind?

now john
12-12-2019, 02:08 PM
I will be happy to write a better step by step procedure, however I obviously cannot do it alone as I don't know the computer literacy level of people coming here. And for me, it's on the spoon-feeding level for very inexperienced users, but the truth is, I cannot see things through there eyes anymore... So if you have some suggestions, I'll be happy to correct it.

The current version CrossOver is much better than the one used as a basis for the "Mac" distribution of BW10. Since Beta 1, I didn't have any substantial problems, I can change default fonts, no crashes... Of course, there is the font anti-aliasing issue that nobody wants to talk about, but otherwise, it seems fine. Are there any other rough edges you had in mind?

I see that I should have written "may have rough edges." I don't know anything about Mac OS except the tiny bit that I have Googled so that I could help on the forum. So I couldn't do it myself. But I do want others to be able to us BW. Since Christine calls herself clueless it would be nice to have something written out that allows clueless users to install BW in CrossOver. That might entail going through the process one click at a time and not using expressions like mount the ISO.

That's all. Thank you for your help.

Eric
12-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Just to add my two cents...

I purchased Parallels and that solution works fine if you have a Windows OS available. Otherwise you have to purchase Windows too. However, I also bought CodeWeavers for my laptop and it works so well (and without the need for Windows). It is really rather easy to get BibleWorks up and running. I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing, but was able to get it working without much problem.

The biggest thing one needs to be aware of is that CodeWeavers knows BW 8 and 9, but not BW 10. Therefore you have to tell it to install an unknown program. Once you do, it is just a matter of locating the setup.exe program.

Eric
12-12-2019, 03:08 PM
I have so appreciated the help I've gotten on this forum, so I wanted to take some time to attempt to help those who are trying to get it up and running again on Mac with the Catalina OS.

I hope that Fantomas has not done any work yet on this, but if he has, please post it. We can never have too much help.

I will do my best to help with any problems as I have time, but I can't promise anything. However, here is a screen by screen sequence. Caveat: once you go through this process, you computer remembers things so I may have missed a screen or two. I hope not, but that is possible. One screen I potentially missed is one where it might ask you if you want it to create a "bottle" for you. Just say yes.

Here we go:

continued on next post...

Eric
12-12-2019, 03:10 PM
continued from last post...

Sorry about the size of the pictures...

driessencsb
12-13-2019, 04:02 PM
The people at Crossover have been so helpful! When I ran into problems using crossover to install the BW10 IOS, they went onto my computer and installed it very quickly! Now I have a working BW10 program with my Catalina! I highly recommend it!!! Go to CodeWeavers CrossOver and send in a support ticket if you have challenges getting it to work.

Fantomas
12-14-2019, 05:49 AM
The people at Crossover have been so helpful! When I ran into problems using crossover to install the BW10 IOS, they went onto my computer and installed it very quickly! Now I have a working BW10 program with my Catalina! I highly recommend it!!! Go to CodeWeavers CrossOver and send in a support ticket if you have challenges getting it to work.

Glad you got it working! :)
CodeWeavers have done a great job on this release and we can finally a working Mac solution for (not only) quite simple Windows apps.

Kokkee
02-04-2020, 09:44 AM
I tried and it fails.

Like you, I tried and tried and it failed to install. After several hours, I "stumbled" on the solution. This is what I did. I opened the ISO (mounted it), and selected the setup.exe and opened it with Crossover (the option will be available). Crossover will open with the selected installer as the setup.exe in the DVD1 "disk". Next, select a compatible bottle, the options are Windows XP and Windows 7. And the installation should work fine now. Hope this helps.