PDA

View Full Version : Form of the Verb Γίνομαι at Lu 21:7

Vlad Kotenko
12-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Bible Works 9 analysis tab shows that the verb γίνεσθαι at Lu 21:7 in BGT is “infinitive present middle.”

However, the analysis tab shows that the same verb in BYZ at Lu 21:7 is “infinitive present middle or passive deponent.”

Why are different descriptions are given, since the word is the same?

Since the analysis tab in the second case calls γίνεσθαι a middle or passive deponent, is it correct to say that the verb γίνεσθαι at Lu 21:7 is a present passive infinitive verb?

MGVH
12-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Look at section 71 Morphological Coding Schemes in the BW Help. (It's #71 for BW10, and I think it's the same for BW9.) BGT/BGM/BNM and BYZ/BYM use different coding schemes, and that accounts for the difference.

Middle/passive/deponent categorizations are difficult, and they really complicate searches.

As for γίνεσθαι in Luke 21.7, I always tell my students simply to regard γινομαι as deponent and not worry about middle or passive. (Of course, Greek grammarians can get into fights over these terms!)

Vlad Kotenko
12-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the explanations. Perhaps it is not clear whether the verb γίνεσθαι is in the middle or passive voice, and therefore some sources say that it is middle or passive at Lu 21:7.

Lee
12-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the explanations. Perhaps it is not clear whether the verb γίνεσθαι is in the middle or passive voice, and therefore some sources say that it is middle or passive at Lu 21:7.

As a deponent (or "lexical middle") verb it functions as neither. Deponent verbs take middle/passive forms even as they function as active voice.

DavidR
12-30-2015, 12:32 PM
It's important to bear in mind that in the present tense, the middle and passive voices use the same forms. Thus, technically, γίνεσθαι could be either "middle" or "passive." It is also one of a small number of deponent verbs that have both middle and passive forms in the aorist, which means that we can't really use the aorist to decide whether its present-tense forms are middle or passive. So the BYZ/BYM morphological analysis is perhaps more precise in this case; but it really doesn't make much difference in understanding the verb.